something good from nothing for once.... (1 Viewer)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
right, long story but worth a read, youll see.........

since moving in 5 yrs ago, we have had hundreds of letters chasing debts from the previous 'occupier' and im being generous with that description.:mad:

some from the same company, chasing different debts, credit cards, utilities etc, seems previous tosser is quite the scammer as tracked his next two addys down, quick sale to new owners, same bull story etc, he has it seems 'emmigrated' :rolleyes:.

last one was a young couple who are getting piles of letters.....

anyway, i kept sending the letters back, not known here etc, to no avail. then i opened the letters, naughty, and phoned one company in particular who were the biggest mailer and they were chasing several debts, had a rant, they said ok no more letters, very sorry etc

nothing changed, bar me putting on the outside of the letter progressively more rude notes, eg Oh Please! he moved 5 yrs ago, are you lot brain dead etc etc

still got letters.........

1 month back, utterly hacked off after getting 3 in one day from same company..................few glassses of wine.....foned them, went over it ALL again, informed them i was intending to invoice for my time wasted returning letters, aggravation etc (had also opened a letter and scrawled the threat to invoice inside)

again very sorry etc, wont happen again, case is escalated to customer relations or whatever, ok last chance i told them, i expect this to stop now.

posted letter back.

heard nada since, but no letters so result......

today i get back, letter on mat from said company, but addressed to me, great now what was 1st thought..

opened said letter, bless em, if there aint a cheque for 50 quid inside which they hope resolves the matter to my satisfaction!

result! (y)

so, moral of story, if you have the patience / bloody mindedness to have a go, it may just pay off!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You have my sympathy—- previous owners of my house continued to use the address for various things ( including car insurance) for almost 4 years. I returned dozens of letters to various companies and phoned a few. No idea why they did it but annoyed the he’ll out of me.
Glad you got a good result.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
You have my sympathy—- previous owners of my house continued to use the address for various things ( including car insurance) for almost 4 years. I returned dozens of letters to various companies and phoned a few. No idea why they did it but annoyed the he’ll out of me.

i guess some peeps are just scamming toe rags sadly, im glad i did push it, everyone told me nothing would happen, i hope by posting this someone else who is going through what you and i have, get something back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We've lived here for 19 years..... Every year we get a letter for the previous owners wife regarding her private pension.
How do we know its about that? 10 years ago we opened the letter.
Now we just bin them.
Her pension statements are costing the company more in postage than it will pay in pension.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We've lived here for 19 years..... Every year we get a letter for the previous owners wife regarding her private pension.
How do we know its about that? 10 years ago we opened the letter.
Now we just bin them.
Her pension statements are costing the company more in postage than it will pay in pension.

i fear many companies couldnt find their left hand with the right..................

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
result! (y)

so, moral of story, if you have the patience / bloody mindedness to have a go, it may just pay off!
It does pay,, we accepted our utilities offer for a smart meter, after 3 visits and it still not working I phoned to complain and called them all sort of things. Result was a full apology for "not telling the truth" and 2 offers of £30 off next bills so £60 total.
Meter still not working after 3 months, so I will soon re-start our conversation again.
:love::love:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
right, long story but worth a read, youll see.........

since moving in 5 yrs ago, we have had hundreds of letters chasing debts from the previous 'occupier' and im being generous with that description.:mad:

some from the same company, chasing different debts, credit cards, utilities etc, seems previous tosser is quite the scammer as tracked his next two addys down, quick sale to new owners, same bull story etc, he has it seems 'emmigrated' :rolleyes:.

last one was a young couple who are getting piles of letters.....

anyway, i kept sending the letters back, not known here etc, to no avail. then i opened the letters, naughty, and phoned one company in particular who were the biggest mailer and they were chasing several debts, had a rant, they said ok no more letters, very sorry etc

nothing changed, bar me putting on the outside of the letter progressively more rude notes, eg Oh Please! he moved 5 yrs ago, are you lot brain dead etc etc

still got letters.........

1 month back, utterly hacked off after getting 3 in one day from same company..................few glassses of wine.....foned them, went over it ALL again, informed them i was intending to invoice for my time wasted returning letters, aggravation etc (had also opened a letter and scrawled the threat to invoice inside)

again very sorry etc, wont happen again, case is escalated to customer relations or whatever, ok last chance i told them, i expect this to stop now.

posted letter back.

heard nada since, but no letters so result......

today i get back, letter on mat from said company, but addressed to me, great now what was 1st thought..

opened said letter, bless em, if there aint a cheque for 50 quid inside which they hope resolves the matter to my satisfaction!

result! (y)

If you get any further letters, send them a letter stating that the previous occupant moved out x time ago and you do not have their forwarding address or contact. This is their final notice. Any further communications from them chasing the debt will be regarded as harassment and legal action will follow. This worked for me.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh no! There’s only one Bertibassett,and there’s only one Podney.:LOL:

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Where've you been?
Been up Norf for a few weeks but back now. Had good weather for 4 weeks but decided to call it a day when forecast was for rain followed by more rain.
:) :)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello bertie,pleased to make your acquaintance. Are you nothing but a hound dog?:LOL::roflmto:

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Hi Podney, Just getting over a dose of man flu so feeling a bit woof today though am very fond of liquorice. :Grin:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had (and replied to) numerous and rather threatening letters from T.V. Licensing for 4 years (Bailiffs, legal entry, Court etc.) accusing me of having an unlicensed T.V. which I didn't have.
It only stopped when my son wrote to tell them that he would be taking them to Court for the stress caused to 'his elderly and vulnerable father'.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We still get post for our children. Usually student loan stuff. When they visit I hand them a pile which gets opened and then it gets left behind to be shredded.
When we have the grandchildren they usually go home with secreted letters in their belongings.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you get any further letters, send them a letter stating that the previous occupant moved out x time ago and you do not have their forwarding address or contact. This is their final notice. Any further communications from them chasing the debt will be regarded as harassment and legal action will follow. This worked for me.

I cannot see how a person could claim harassment if the communications are addressed to somebody else.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We had a tenant, the only one in 40 years we have every had to take to court for non payment of rent.
When she left we had to send in the industrial cleaners.
We got a call from them wondering what to do with the post, we said just put return to sender on it, there are 3 bin liners full of mostly unopened post was the reply!

We then opened most of the mail in one bin liner, sorted it into the top 50 companies that were chasing money, put together a spreadsheet with all the debts in that bin liner, which amounted to over £25,000 and then sent each one the same spreadsheet so they could all see each others debts.
They then all realised they had been scammed, but at least we did not get much more post.

Oddly we found out that the lady concerned in now a director of a company.........

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I cannot see how a person could claim harassment if the communications are addressed to somebody else.

Why should the new resident deal with frequent communications from companies, often with threatening text such as "OVERDUE" or "FINAL NOTICE", often in red and followed up with bailiffs knocking on their door?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
TV Licencing seems to be a law unto itself. There are 2 houses sharing our postcode; one day I received a TV Licence demand for "The Barn", a large black storage building whose only occupants are 4 legged and who consume poisoned wheat at a regular rate.

After several letters to Licencing I asked them to send a detector van round to check which stations the rodents were watching on their non-existent TV. Eventually they got the message and most data bases have removed "The Barn" from their lists, but it still crops up occasionally when I do an online request for items.

Gordon

To be fair, my son erected a high TV arial adjacent to the barn for his TV in the mobile home in our garden, which is covered by our licence. How did TV folk find out about it?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Why should the new resident deal with frequent communications from companies, often with threatening text such as "OVERDUE" or "FINAL NOTICE", often in red and followed up with bailiffs knocking on their door?

Yes. That happened in my lazt house... British Gas sent a bailiff/man to turn off gas which apparently can't, despite my constant phone calls and returning their bills/letters with polite explanation over and over. Final letter I sent, I crossed their threatening letter to send a man round, and wrote F Off in big letters..

Then the man arrived. Grrrrrrrrr.

No more letters but no apology either.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of my sisters and her husband were absolutely crap with money and were chased by debt collectors and bailiffs most of their adult lives. When my mum had a stroke, they "moved in" for 2 years. Unknown to me they then used mum's address to get further credit and loans. Due to their behaviour towards mum, I sent them home to their own flat and took over mum's care as her dementia went into freefall
about a year later, both my sister and her husband died within days of each other. Due to no will or anything, I was left as their executor, winding up their affairs and clearing their flat of minimal posessions
within days I had multiple letters from debt collectors and bailiffs at both the flat and mum's house. At an estimate they owed well in excess of £50,000 with zero assets even to fund their funeral. I immediately contacted the various companies to inform them and provide a copy of the death certificates. However the threatening letters persisted and really upset my mum. I then wrote to the offending firms offering a new address for my sister at the cemetery, giving the plot number and date of death. That worked

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

Been there, see that, done that & got the tee shirt.
My first flat had been repossessed prior to me buying it, I had the utilities companies showing up each & every Saturday morning demanding to see the electric meter, I really didn't appreciate this as I always worked night shift friday into Saturday!

I even had the police show up on numerous occasions looking for the "occupier".
Fortunately I had quite a few friends on the force who managed to quell the law side of things but the utilities kept on coming.
They would accept no amount of explanation & I eventually sold up & moved to a house where everything was always above board but, I often wondered how all of that crap turned out?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back