Some Lay-by’s are better than others. (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Slowly making are way towards the Easter Rally at Wyre Piddle. 99.9% of the time we wildcamp.
OK we can’t get the chairs out and sit outside but for a free night and to wake up with a good view its not bad.
This may help others decide that you don’t always have to use sites.
Location A44 about 8 miles west of Worcester.
Road very quiet overnight.
Probably busy weekdays with lorries and burger van.
7667EF42-8C1F-471F-A4E8-67B1A8265AE1.jpeg
D8761889-E76B-4304-827B-F07460197CB6.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Lovely views and looks like a well kept tarmac lay-by too, excellent stuff.

Ive stopped many nights in decent lay-bys, but they must had a divider from the passing traffic, least in my mind, as I don’t fancy a shunt from a HGV driver whose nodding off.

I used to stop in a lay-by every time I visited mum, but now I use a lovely pub, just 20 mins away.

Thanks for sharing 👍🏻

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Ive stopped many nights in decent lay-bys, but they must had a divider from the passing traffic, least in my mind, as I don’t fancy a shunt from a HGV driver whose nodding off.
Quite agree. Always make sure it’s is set back from the road.
DC36EEE3-FA8F-4B37-8920-EE5598B82D29.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Slowly making are way towards the Easter Rally at Wyre Piddle. 99.9% of the time we wildcamp.
OK we can’t get the chairs out and sit outside but for a free night and to wake up with a good view its not bad.
This may help others decide that you don’t always have to use sites.
Location A44 about 8 miles west of Worcester.
Road very quiet overnight.
Probably busy weekdays with lorries and burger van.
View attachment 604535View attachment 604536

That will be Bert's truck stop then ?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Must have tarmacked it then since it used to have holes big enough to swallow a car.
Hope you walked up the 'B' road to the talbot pub. Brewery there for 'this that or t'other' beer. Food good but inho expensive.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If you wildcamp 99.9% of the time grasscutter out of curiosity how do you empty your waste & toilet contents, I can see getting fresh water would be much easier.

I have seen others, who wildcamp regularly, say they carry extra cassettes etc but it still means they have to visit sites with facilities every few days in the U.K. because disposal facilities are not readily available.

So what is your secret to doing it

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
You have to visit somewhere where you can empty a cassette dump grey and take on fresh water; that doesn’t have to be an expensive site - CL/CS/THS or club meet will do the same at (approximately) 25% the cost of a site.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
The Talbot also allows free overnight stops. Includ8ng waste and water, and hook up. No obligation to eat in the pub, bit it would be rude not to have a drink.

Worcestershire have been tarmacking, unfortunately Herefordshire have not and the road is much worse a few miles on.:eek:

I can also recommend Knightwick butchers, about 200 yards up the road, their steaks are fantastic, and from their own cattle.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
If you wildcamp 99.9% of the time grasscutter out of curiosity how do you empty your waste & toilet contents, I can see getting fresh water would be much easier.

I have seen others, who wildcamp regularly, say they carry extra cassettes etc but it still means they have to visit sites with facilities every few days in the U.K. because disposal facilities are not readily available.

This won’t sit well with some but it’s the truth.
Two cassettes and always bag and bin the paper.
Large rucksack that hold the cassette, gloves, wipes and water to rinse.
Use public toilets and most of the time they are cleaner when I leave.
Now let’s wait for the comments 🙄

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
The Talbot also allows free overnight stops. Includ8ng waste and water, and hook up. No obligation to eat in the pub, bit it would be rude not to have a drink.

Worcestershire have been tarmacking, unfortunately Herefordshire have not and the road is much worse a few miles on.:eek:

I can also recommend Knightwick butchers, about 200 yards up the road, their steaks are fantastic, and from their own cattle.
I looked up the butchers on Google and sadly they don’t open until Tuesday ☹️

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
As above, nothing wrong with emptying in public loo, as long as clean up is thorough. Using bio liquid means there’s not really any smell. A spray bottle of bathroom cleaner or multi-surface cleaner also helps, or antiseptic wipes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As above, nothing wrong with emptying in public loo, as long as clean up is thorough. Using bio liquid means there’s not really any smell. A spray bottle of bathroom cleaner or multi-surface cleaner also helps, or antiseptic wipes.

There was a story I think told on here about a lady overhearing a conversation. Her husband went to go to the toilet and had just got through the door when it sound like someone had opened up their butt cheeks about a meter wide and let loose with a months worth of poop. He was a little concerned then the smell hit him, he decided to leave without using the facilities. He was gobsmacked by it all and couldn't believe the guy was still alive after that. He had had some beer/curry induced next day eruptions but nothing on that scale. The women weren't sure whether to laugh or be concerned for the guys health or just disgusted.

The lady who was over hearing this conversation was a camper who's husband it was who was emptying their cassette :D She was peeing herself laughing at the conversation....

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
There was a story I think told on here about a lady overhearing a conversation. Her husband went to go to the toilet and had just got through the door when it sound like someone had opened up their butt cheeks about a meter wide and let loose with a months worth of poop. He was a little concerned then the smell hit him, he decided to leave without using the facilities. He was gobsmacked by it all and couldn't believe the guy was still alive after that. He had had some beer/curry induced next day eruptions but nothing on that scale. The women weren't sure whether to laugh or be concerned for the guys health or just disgusted.

The lady who was over hearing this conversation was a camper who's husband it was who was emptying their cassette :D She was peeing herself laughing at the conversation....
Made me laugh out loud. Thanks Gromett

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I cant see any problem with emptying in public loos, if you can find one these days, as long as you dont use the dreaded blue which stains everything and stinks and clean up. If I arrive home with anything in the cassette I just empty in our downstairs loo.
Just need your address and access to your downstairs loo please 🤪😊😄

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

This won’t sit well with some but it’s the truth.
Two cassettes and always bag and bin the paper.
Large rucksack that hold the cassette, gloves, wipes and water to rinse.
Use public toilets and most of the time they are cleaner when I leave.
Now let’s wait for the comments 🙄

I cant see any problem with emptying in public loos, if you can find one these days, as long as you dont use the dreaded blue which stains everything and stinks and clean up. If I arrive home with anything in the cassette I just empty in our downstairs loo.

Operation Dump The Dumps….

Broken Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Operation Dump The Dumps….
Very similar I think. But not the one I had heard..

I am sure I heard it on here though.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I’m sure I know which Shaldon car park Pusser was talking about. He certainly made The Great Escape.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back