Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
I spend six or seven weeks up there each summer, so if you need any help then let me know. There's some superb sites and some that should be avoided at all costs. This new North Coast 500 has led to a big increase in site fees in places as choice is limited. It's also led to a lot more traffic and quite a few boy racers seeing how fast they can do it. I've been bumbling around up there for donkey's years so I remember the good old days :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you bought a refillable gas system, they arent that hard to fit.
Dependant upon which system you buy with which tanks it will be £4-500.
The resale value of the whole system 2nd hand is £390-490. They dont lose value (cant speak for the underslung) as who cares if the bottles are 2nd hand ? every calor gas one you get is !
So, after this trip, and when you come to the decision that France is for you, best to buy one and save 25 quid each fill up and you can remove it if you sell your van or ask them for 500 quid to leave it in there !

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
If you bought a refillable gas system, they arent that hard to fit.
Dependant upon which system you buy with which tanks it will be £4-500.
The resale value of the whole system 2nd hand is £390-490. They dont lose value (cant speak for the underslung) as who cares if the bottles are 2nd hand ? every calor gas one you get is !
So, after this trip, and when you come to the decision that France is for you, best to buy one and save 25 quid each fill up and you can remove it if you sell your van or ask them for 500 quid to leave it in there !
That makes a lot of sense. I'll probably do that - one refillable and a Calor in case I cant get LPG.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I spend six or seven weeks up there each summer, so if you need any help then let me know. There's some superb sites and some that should be avoided at all costs. This new North Coast 500 has led to a big increase in site fees in places as choice is limited. It's also led to a lot more traffic and quite a few boy racers seeing how fast they can do it. I've been bumbling around up there for donkey's years so I remember the good old days :)
I’ll be taking you up on that, I have booked a large house for family do near Aberfeldy, then we are going on to NC500 and anywhere else recommended. Have just today bought a guide book to NC500.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
I’ll be taking you up on that, I have booked a large house for family do near Aberfeldy, then we are going on to NC500 and anywhere else recommended. Have just today bought a guide book to NC500.
You'll love it - the scenery is fantastic. Do it slowly and veer off often. The wee beasties can be bad, especially if its damp and there's no breeze, but you just need to find a repellent that works for you. PM me when you are doing your planning.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Very easy, download CamperContact and you can search for local Aires or campsites wherever you are, then buy Co-Pilot Caravan for mobile or tablet and you are sorted in both areas.(y)

+1 for CamperContact, everything you need is there. I live in France and use it all the time. No need to worry about booking, just turn up. if its full move onto the next one. I would work on arriving at popular sites late afternoon the latest otherwise you might be disappointed. Its easier to find sites in France than the UK. Some of the aires are like small campsites. The Auvergne will be very busy during the holiday period. But as already been mentioned in March a lot of the campsites will still not be open.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We do what many do which is Aires for 3 days and site on the 4th fill and dump shower etc
Very few Aires will have restricted access especially for the size of your van
One day driving in France and you will wonder why you was ever worried
Being alone will make toll machines difficult but just stop short and walk round do arm your self with a bag of one and two euro coins
Aires are all very different some are just a parking space in the town Sq some are laid out like campsites they are every where and away from the coasts not busy we've had more accessible problems with tight pitches on sites than we've ever had on aires
France is a popular destination because it's so easy probably the nearest place you can truly still live the gypsy life style and just wander

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The best bit of advice we were given when we started European touring was in the car park of Auchan in Calais on the first day of our first trip "out". Got talking to the guy in the moho parked next to me who was a veteran and he said "just make sure you have found somewhere to stop by 4pm, after that the good places start filling up".

Mind you, that does not stop the French from rolling in at 11pm and trying to squeeze in wherever they can! The worst example I saw was a large Concorde towing a large trailer with a large boat on turning up at the popular and very full Aire at the port in Gruissan at 1:30 in the morning and driving round and round trying to find somewhere to park.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
We've been with our 4yr old dog for last 4 years, unfortunately run over in uk before xmas, have started again with new Puppy who will also go out with us later on in year, they love it and soon adjust. A great first stop if using dover calais in an Aire called MONTRUIEL, its a small village car park and proper places for motorhome if you can get in them, (few shops as well), we never have, car park is fine. Great walks over the wall surrounding the village with the dogs. its only an hour or so away from port. We stay on way out and on way back. Ares are great either before or after a village you will find them. Enjoy.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Re driving on the right, just take it really steadily. Coming away from the ferry or chunnel is the most anxious point. Even after a lifetime of driving on the right, including coast to coast USA, months at a time in NYC [freaky!] SF and LA, Europe in battlefield tour mini coaches, that first 20 minutes gets to me. Fortunately it's all one way thro' the port areas, then m/way, so one has a chance to settle into it. And, within a few miles you will be asking yourself, "Where is everybody? Where have they all gone?". France is big and the traffic is blissfully light. You will be shocked, on exit from your UK port, to be in a 75mph traffic jam pretty much all the way home.

As has been mentioned, turning out of places like filling stations and car parks can be tricky because of one's ingrained habit of which side of the road to head for. Pause and work out where you are going to aim for. I find it useful to keep up a running commentary, out loud, to myself in towns, at road junctions and other complicated situations.

French roundabouts out in the country are very small and tight. I don't know how the artics get round some of them. This means that vehicles already on the roundabout are on you very quickly, including the ones just joining it from the junction to your left. You have to get going smartly when there's traffic about.

Taking a minibus party of Americans into Paris once, I headed for the Arc de Triomphe. The road junction there, L'Etoile [The Star] for obvious reasons, is probably the maddest roundabout on earth. There are no road markings and nobody gives way to right or left. Everybody guns it, flat out. You just have to go for it. My clients were so frightened, literally screaming ... "Chris! The guy on the left!" "No! The guy on the right!" ... It was such fun I went round twice! L'Etoile is cobbles. In the wet it is truly frightening...

upload_2018-1-20_14-54-37.png

In a van you will be able to see over the tops of the cars, which is very helpful when thinking about overtaking the 40 yr-old Renault 4 meandering along at 23kph on the open road. If stuck behind a large vehicle and a queue builds up behind you, pull over for a minute or two, because the French making a bid to get past both you and the truck will be going bananas and will take insane risks. They do, anyway, as standard practice. You will also find they have a very bad habit of running dangerously close to your rear end. They all do it.

Remember that in a van, the lower of the speed limits posted applies to you - or at least that's what the cameras think. I have been flashed a number of times before I realised this. Once I got into the habit of passing the cameras at commercial vehicle speeds, I had no more flashes. Reassuringly, no tickets have ever turned up. Maybe, somewhere 'downstream' of the camera, the fact that it's a camper makes the difference.

Bon voyage!

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Re driving on the right, just take it really steadily. Coming away from the ferry or chunnel is the most anxious point. Even after a lifetime of driving on the right, including coast to coast USA, months at a time in NYC [freaky!] SF and LA, Europe in battlefield tour mini coaches, that first 20 minutes gets to me. Fortunately it's all one way thro' the port areas, then m/way, so one has a chance to settle into it. And, within a few miles you will be asking yourself, "Where is everybody? Where have they all gone?". France is big and the traffic is blissfully light. You will be shocked, on exit from your UK port, to be in a 75mph traffic jam pretty much all the way home.

As has been mentioned, turning out of places like filling stations and car parks can be tricky because of one's ingrained habit of which side of the road to head for. Pause and work out where you are going to aim for. I find it useful to keep up a running commentary, out loud, to myself in towns, at road junctions and other complicated situations.

French roundabouts out in the country are very small and tight. I don't know how the artics get round some of them. This means that vehicles already on the roundabout are on you very quickly, including the ones just joining it from the junction to your left. You have to get going smartly when there's traffic about.

Taking a minibus party of Americans into Paris once, I headed for the Arc de Triomphe. The road junction there, L'Etoile [The Star] for obvious reasons, is probably the maddest roundabout on earth. There are no road markings and nobody gives way to right or left. Everybody guns it, flat out. You just have to go for it. My clients were so frightened, literally screaming ... "Chris! The guy on the left!" "No! The guy on the right!" ... It was such fun I went round twice! L'Etoile is cobbles. In the wet it is truly frightening...

View attachment 207953

In a van you will be able to see over the tops of the cars, which is very helpful when thinking about overtaking the 40 yr-old Renault 4 meandering along at 23kph on the open road. If stuck behind a large vehicle and a queue builds up behind you, pull over for a minute or two, because the French making a bid to get past both you and the truck will be going bananas and will take insane risks. They do, anyway, as standard practice. You will also find they have a very bad habit of running dangerously close to your rear end. They all do it.

Remember that in a van, the lower of the speed limits posted applies to you - or at least that's what the cameras think. I have been flashed a number of times before I realised this. Once I got into the habit of passing the cameras at commercial vehicle speeds, I had no more flashes. Reassuringly, no tickets have ever turned up. Maybe, somewhere 'downstream' of the camera, the fact that it's a camper makes the difference.

Bon voyage!

Yes, L'Etoile is interesting, isn't it. I think I've counted 11 lanes of traffic trying to get round it, and it's always an enjoyable way to spend a half hour watching the traffic - especially at rush hour on a Friday :)

I've had the phantom flash problem in Scotland and lots of flashing 40 signals (the new HGV limit doesn't apply there) so they too obviously have technology that looks for the size of the vehicle. It's very disconcerting !

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The French will always help (whether you need it or not) and are very forgiving of mistakes,

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
The French will always help (whether you need it or not) and are very forgiving of mistakes,
Yes, I like the French. I've been there dozens of times but this will be the first trip driving. I've always found that , especially away from major towns, they have plenty of time for us rosbifs.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Apologies if this has already been mentioned... you need to get your dogs vaccinated against rabies and passports obtained prior to your trip. If memory serves me right you have to wait 21 days from the rabies vaccination before you can travel. On return to the uk you have to go to a vet to have them wormed and the details entered on their passports. This has to be done no more than a week and not less than 24!hrs prior to travel.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Apologies if this has already been mentioned... you need to get your dogs vaccinated against rabies and passports obtained prior to your trip. If memory serves me right you have to wait 21 days from the rabies vaccination before you can travel. On return to the uk you have to go to a vet to have them wormed and the details entered on their passports. This has to be done no more than a week and not less than 24!hrs prior to travel.
Absolutely, and I've arranged for protection against leishmania because once caught there's no cure. There's a good website put together by motorhomers that takes you to an interactive map of vets in Europe that do the passports and it also tells you charges and parking. It's really helpful. My vet also suggested taking my own wormers with me as some places rip you off.

This is the vet site:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=41.70572900000001,-2.3730470000000423&z=8

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
. My vet also suggested taking my own wormers with me as some places rip you off.

That's interesting.

We have great difficulty in getting our dog to take tablets - vets have a problem giving them to him too. We give him Advocate here at home in the UK which is applied to the base of his neck. Do you know if we can take Advocate with us and give it to him at the vets and ask the vet to sign the passport to confirm he had been treated?

The last time he was given the wormer in France is was a massive tablet and we had a major struggle getting it in him - lots ended up in the vet's floor!

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
That's interesting.

We have great difficulty in getting our dog to take tablets - vets have a problem giving them to him too. We give him Advocate here at home in the UK which is applied to the base of his neck. Do you know if we can take Advocate with us and give it to him at the vets and ask the vet to sign the passport to confirm he had been treated?

The last time he was given the wormer in France is was a massive tablet and we had a major struggle getting it in him - lots ended up in the vet's floor!
One of my dogs eats tablets like sweets, with the other I have to hold his jaws open and poke it down his throat. I then count my fingers and search for any that have gone missing. My vet says you can take and use your own meds, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm putting Scalibor collars on them for sandflies but may move to the annual injections if I start going regularly.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think I'm going to do the same and take my own wormer to the vet in future

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Campsites open will be few and far between, as said earlier you'll find Aires all over and will be open, water maybe a bit difficult but a lot of Supermarché have bornes-you'll have to pay for water in a lot of cases!
You don't need to go into towns for Aires a lot are on outskirts of the villages.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
I've looked at the ACSI book and quite a lot open in mid March so I'll just have to hope they're where I want to go! It's Easter at the end of March so I think they'll want the trade. As it'll still be chilly I'd prefer a site and hook-up rather than sit on an aire using gas for the heating (I know some have elec, but if they haven't then I'd be scuppered.) Also, I want to stay for a few days at a couple of places and I think campsites are a better bet if you want to do that?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've looked at the ACSI book and quite a lot open in mid March so I'll just have to hope they're where I want to go! It's Easter at the end of March so I think they'll want the trade. As it'll still be chilly I'd prefer a site and hook-up rather than sit on an aire using gas for the heating (I know some have elec, but if they haven't then I'd be scuppered.) Also, I want to stay for a few days at a couple of places and I think campsites are a better bet if you want to do that?
You will not be able to use many EHUs on the continent that you can use for heating. They are usually restricted to a few amps. That is why most European vans are sold with gas only heating. It is only us Brits that demand dual fuel.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
I figure that 6amp will give me enough to run on 1kw which will make the gas last longer - hopefully :)
(Mind you, anyrhing will be warmer than this Derbyshire winter. )

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Taking a minibus party of Americans into Paris once, I headed for the Arc de Triomphe.

The British in general do not have a clue about the 'Give Way To The Right' rule, that applies on the continent absolutely everywhere. Calais to Croatia, Malaga to Moscow.

Unless there are clear road markings to the contrary, you Give Way To The Vehicle From The Right. The British kind of understand the sentence, but don't get the idea that it really really does apply.

In all the areas where there's lots of British tourists, they make sure all the junctions are signed and painted, so you don't have to rely on knowing the rule. Exceptions are out in the countryside, built-up areas off the main road, supermarket car parks, and that all-time classic, the Etoile (Arc de Triomphe roundabout).

If you know the rule, it all makes perfect sense, and it seems quite safe. If you don't, then it
is probably the maddest roundabout on earth. There are no road markings and nobody gives way to right or left. Everybody guns it, flat out. You just have to go for it. My clients were so frightened, literally screaming ... "Chris! The guy on the left!" "No! The guy on the right!" ... It was such fun I went round twice! L'Etoile is cobbles. In the wet it is truly frightening...

For example, most Brits will say that at a T junction, someone joining a straight road from a road at right angles will always have to give way to traffic from the straight road. Obvious. But not on the continent. Give way to the right, even at a T junction.

Of course on many main roads there is a 'Yellow Diamond' sign that means that the Give Way To The Right rule does not apply, and you have priority. The other road has a 'Give Way' sign that can also be seen on the major road.

If you see a Yellow Diamond sign with a black line through it, that's the time to worry. Give way To The Right now applies. Even for Brits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back