Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Can someone please tell me does a stick on panel give the same output as a crystal one Barrie

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Semi flexible stick on panels come polycrystalline and monocrystaline the latter being more or less the same or even better output as the rigid type in frames in equivalent quoted wattage - another advantage they are a fraction of the weight of the rigid ones.

I have 2 brand new ones for sale here in classifieds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Semi flexible stick on panels come polycrystalline and monocrystaline the latter being more or less the same or even better output as the rigid type in frames in equivalent quoted wattage - another advantage they are a fraction of the weight of the rigid ones.

I have 2 brand new ones for sale here in classifieds
Yes but they don't last as long, the output can drop dramatically in 5 years.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I read it on A&N caravans website I'll see if I can find a link.

Deleted User
Quote from Photonic Universe website

In addition, solar cells are guaranteed to produce at least 90% of nominal power in 10 years after purchase and at least 80% of nominal power in 25 years after purchase. This warranty is provided by the manufacturer of solar cells

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes but they don't last as long, the output can drop dramatically in 5 years.

I read it on A&N caravans website I'll see if I can find a link.
I think that page was written quite a while ago & there certainly were plenty of horror stories about the early failure of flexible panels. My impression (& it is no more than that) is that the longevity of flexible panels has improved quite a bit in recent years.

I still wouldn't expect them to last as long as a rigid panel though. Careful study of the performance specification of the chosen panel would be required, but where ease of fitment & weight saving are important considerations, the compromise on lifetime might be acceptable.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
my 100w flexible panel went open circuit afer 18 months, imposible to remove, so ended up mounting a regular one over the op of it
never again flexible

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
my 100w flexible panel has been on for 4 years & still going strong.
Lee

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Because when the pack in its almost impossible to remove without damaging the GRP
OK but I wouldn't fancy taking one off an alloy roof either which I guess is why I would not be keen to fit on in the first place, to be honest if I really wanted one that bad I would put it on a plate and mount it on feet with a slight air gap, I don't see the point of stick on low profile when we all have sky lights sticking up 100mm.

Granted they will be lighter, but I am not that bothered about weight.

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OK but I wouldn't fancy taking one off an alloy roof either which I guess is why I would not be keen to fit on in the first place, to be honest if I really wanted one that bad I would put it on a plate and mount it on feet with a slight air gap, I don't see the point of stick on low profile when we all have sky lights sticking up 100mm.

Martin
Just removing my old reverse camera managed to. Lift a small part of the GRP off.... I hate to imagine the damage removing a solar panel.
But likewise I don't see the benefit of a stick on one to save height but if the roofs entirely flat and you don't plan to own the van long enough to need to replace them perhaps

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just removing my old reverse camera managed to. Lift a small part of the GRP off.... I hate to imagine the damage removing a solar panel.
But likewise I don't see the benefit of a stick on one to save height but if the roofs entirely flat and you don't plan to own the van long enough to need to replace them perhaps
If it's a moulded back panel it will just be the Gel coat that has come away and is dead easy to fix, the latest fibreglass roofs (as demanded by German insurance companies I have been told) are a completely different construction to a standard moulded panel.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm not aware of any side-by-side demonstration of performance but have come across many claims in marketing material. I doubt that one type of panel is much better than another and, even if there was an improvement, I'd bet that the difference is small. When someone says "X is better than Y", ask them "How much better?" and I doubt they will have any supportable measure.
I had flexible panels on a steel boat for over 12 years. They were still doing their job when sold it but I never measured the power they produced so do not know by how much their output had deteriorated.
I'd be happy to stick a flexible panel on my moho roof. Lighter, less obtrusive and less wind resistance... and I wouldn't worry about performance differences.
It's sometimes difficult to separate fact from opinion.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had flexible panels on a steel boat for over 12 years. They were still doing their job when sold it but I never measured the power they produced so do not know by how much their output had deteriorated.
Even the manufacturers quote 50% loss over 5 years compared to a conventional panel's 20% over 20 years.

Deleted User
Even the manufacturers quote 50% loss over 5 years compared to a conventional panel's 20% over 20 years.
Not all manufacturers
As I posted earlier, this is a quote from Photonic Universe website

In addition, solar cells are guaranteed to produce at least 90% of nominal power in 10 years after purchase and at least 80% of nominal power in 25 years after purchase. This warranty is provided by the manufacturer of solar cells

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back