Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having been considering it for a while, read plenty and lurked on this forum soaking up the information, we've just taken the plunge and bought a used Ci Carioca 656. One thing we amazingly didn't notice is that its fitted with a solar panel and controller, which we are chuffed with because its one item we were thinking of adding.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how it works and what the LEDs mean even after reading a manual online..Its a PWM EPHC solar charge controller. Could anyone with the same unit give me an overview of whats happening when the LEDs light or extinguish and crucially, what the actual on/off button does?

Thanks - this forum has been an absolute mine of useful information.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
It might be worth putting a picture up of the controller that you have, that way even if somebody doesn't have the same controller they'll be able to identify the question you're asking (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AABM

AABM

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your responses so far, here is a photo of the unit. I've checked voltages and the panel is generating along with charging the battery (I assume as there is roughly 14.4v going out, input voltage dependant on sun) but I can't fathom the 'on/off' what it does, what it's for and whether I should have it on or off!

Attachments

• IMG_6075.JPG
    IMG_6075.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Left hand LED is indicating panel is suppling power.
Middle LED is as diagram of battery
Flashing green - Battery full
Green - battery in usable range
Yellow - Battery (very) low
Red - Battery knackered.
The third LED is for when you have a load connected to the controller which you haven't. Off is fine.​

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Its probably all set up from the previous owner. Normally all you need to adjust is float voltage to the battery its charging (but its already set) the on off button is for switching on an external load you (most likely not) may have connected, like a light or something) leave it off.

Just a word of warning: If you do disconnect it at all now or in the future make sure you disconnect the solar input BEFORE disconnecting the battery output or you can damage it

Sit back and forget it and let it do its thing automatically.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AABM

AABM

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brilliant thanks everyone. All makes sense now. I think there is a small light next to the door on the outside that is switched by the unit, so that also explains that too. Cupboard door closed and forgotten about

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back