Solar - Leisure Battery - EBL 99 (1 Viewer)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning

This may or may not be a useful thread and I apologise if the latter.

It had been my intention to set off for my long break this week and decided to pop Hecate my B654 onto the mains and get the fridge chilled. Once plugged in I checked inside to select mains on the fridge.

I looked on the panel above the door and noticed that the little mains yellow LED was not lit, though my plug in polarity sensor said the supply was all good. I noticed the right hand meter was showing high amps in the green sector. I checked the batteries, cab was good about 12.5 but the leisure battery was off the scale. I immediately disconnected the mains and all figures returned to normal. I thought POO (or words to that effect - I will leave those to your imagination).

It was of course yesterday, Sunday, so I did not have high hopes but after googling EBL99 I sent an email to A & N Caravan Services not expecting any response before today at the earliest. I was most pleasantly surprised to receive an email from Martin Bushnell, who having read my symptoms made very useful suggestions and advised me not to use the unit at all and send it to him for repair or replacement. I have sent it this morning and Martin suggests it is possible I will receive it back Friday.

Ok enough rambling background this is the importan part -

IMPORTANT

Go to Martin's site A&N caravan services on the Internet and read his instructions about the EBL units. After reading these I believe that I blew my EBL charging circuit when I changed my leisure battery about a month ago.

Before disconnecting the battery/ries the solar panel must be disconnected from the solar regulator. Failure to do so risks damaging the EBL99. I know for a fact that I had not disconnected the solar panel before I changed my battery and so am probably the author of my own misfortune.

My recommendation for anyone with solar fitted and thinking of doing any work involving battery/EBL/solar is to read the webpage before you do anything. It could save you lots of money, your holiday and the misery and disappointment.

I now feel like a caged animal awaiting escape. My crew, pictured below show their disappointment waiting to go as well, particularly the one at the back who seems really peeved.

image.jpeg

I hope this will be helpful to someone. Departure now scheduled for 1 or 2 June - just in case anything else crops up. I consider myself as ever, very lucky to have the fault here and not while away touring.

Cheers Clive

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the EBL99 the solar connections are straight through to the batteries don't see how it can effect the EBL, just coincidence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most solar controllers will not like the batteries being disconnected while the solar is still on. Either turn it off (I have fitted a switch for this purpose) remove the fuse or if all else fails cover the panel or do it at night. Reconnect the batteries before reconnecting the solar panel(s)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can't give a 'like' for the post as it's bad news, but I loved the picture!

Hope it's all sorted soon

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thanks gentlemen/ladies for your replies.

The installation was already fitted when I bought the van last December. The solar regulator is this one

image.jpeg

The EBL without plugs disconnected looked like this

image.jpeg

with plugs disconnected but two leads left connected to show me where they went -

image.jpeg

These two, black to block 5 and red to block 6 solar are connected to this -

image.jpeg

I have recently bought one of Andy's spare LRM1218 solar regulators and am contemplating replacing the fitted one with this and appropriate rewiring.

Sadly there is no documentation to cover the existing installation and the solar regulator is no longer available having been updated meaning I could not download a pdf.

As I say thanks again and keep replies, suggestions coming.

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon from the sunny South East

First of all I would like to say how impressed I have been by Martin Bushnell of A and N Caravan Services. My email exchanges with Martin had suggested that there would be a good chance of my receiving the EBL99 back on Friday (yesterday).

As you know it was posted on Monday last. I received an email from Martin on Tuesday confirming it had arrived and the repair carried out. The fault was as suspected and I suspect a common occurrence when people have failed to disconnect the solar panel from the regulator before disconnecting the leisure battery which is exactly what I did and below is a copy of the the warning from the Schaudt manual.

image.jpeg

Anyway, I won't be doing that again, it made the cost of replacing the leisure battery more than twice the price of the replacement.

I am pleased to say the EBL99 was delivered back on Thursday a day early. It was posted back on Wednesday (the first opportunity following repair).

In an age when we seem to spend most of our time justifying the description of being "winging poms" I must say my experience here has been most refreshing.

I intend to re-fit the unit Monday morning and look forward to travelling through the tunnel on Saturday. Now I need a hair cut.

Clive

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That instruction manual, in your picture, with the warning is for a Schaudt Solar Regulator (LR1218) which you do not have. It refers to damage to the regulator, not the EBL.
Having said that, it is always good practice to disconnect a solar panel from a solar regulator before disconnecting batteries, or anything else that is connected to it.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I changed my solar regulator from one that’s positioned a long way from the batteries, I replaced it with a LR1218. When I wired it to block 6 it didn’t work, I contacted Udo Lang at Schaudt and he suggested connecting it through block 7( just required cutting the connector in half, which works as it should.
So maybe that’s why the had put the Black into block 5.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. The LR1218 will be forming part of the re-installation on Monday morning.

The only thing I can usefully add, which is akin to Jon Luc's remarks, is that you should find the manuals (either supplied with vehicle or on line if available) and consult them before starting any work on anything involving electronics. That to include simply changing the battery which is what I did.

I did read on another source that my failure to disconnect the solar panel from the regulator could cause a spike in the EBL electronics and blow some circuits.

It's a bit like the old - "measure twice, cut once idea."

Anyway, if I save just one EBL99 (or possible variants) user a few quid by making them aware then my job is done.

Roll on next Saturday and into the tunnel to France.

:france::france::france::france::france::france::france::france::france::france::france::france:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In an earlier post you referred to having bought a LRM1218, not a LR1218 which the picture of instructions refer to. Make sure you have the correct instructions before installation. The settings on the MPPT LRM1218 are more complex than on the very simple LR1218 which is a PWM regulator.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thanks Jean luc (Philip)

I had corrected my unit description on the later post. Mine is the LR1218 as shown below. Why I described it otherwise I have no idea.

image.jpeg

This unit was supplied by our very own @Techno Andy a week or two back when he had a couple for sale. I had already bu***red my EBL by then. I had contacted the Solara people for a manual but they were unable to help as it had been discontinued some time previously. I thought it would be a good idea to use the recommended units from the same manufacturer and hopefully reduce risk to the minimum.

Monday's work will be either supervised (to be avoided) or observation of someone who knows what they are doing, doing a "proper job" for me.

Thanks again Clive

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
When I changed my solar regulator from one that’s positioned a long way from the batteries, I replaced it with a LR1218. When I wired it to block 6 it didn’t work, I contacted Udo Lang at Schaudt and he suggested connecting it through block 7( just required cutting the connector in half, which works as it should.
So maybe that’s why the had put the Black into block 5.
That's very timely information - I have a new (to me) van with a solar panel already installed. I was slightly concerned to see no connection to block 6 and the fuse marked 'solar' missing. There is a connection to block 7 which I haven't traced yet, but that now sounds likely to be the culprit. Thanks.

Paul

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's very timely information - I have a new (to me) van with a solar panel already installed. I was slightly concerned to see no connection to block 6 and the fuse marked 'solar' missing. There is a connection to block 7 which I haven't traced yet, but that now sounds likely to be the culprit. Thanks.

Paul

Yes you need to trace the wires because you may have a LAS additional charger fitted,as that’s what block 7 is really for.

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Yes you need to trace the wires because you may have a LAS additional charger fitted,as that’s what block 7 is really for.

Sorry, LAS? Google only comes up with the Los Angeles Chargers :(

Have had a quick look this morning, and the wires from the solar panel enter the box above the sliding door, where the Truma controls etc. are located. At the EBL end the wires from block 7 disappear into the body of the van, I guess up the pillar and over the ceiling. Assuming there is a solar controller or charger somewhere I guess it must be behind the Truma controls.

Thanks for your advice (and apologies for hijacking @Cleve 's thread).

Paul

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
@Lenny HB

One thing I would say is only use a LR1218 if you have Gel batteries.

Good afternoon

Sorry for my late response but I have been flogging bits of my life at a boot fayre this morning - £96 so I guess worth the early start. Anyway...

As soon as I got in I read the posts and after reading yours Lenny (quote above) I have re read the manual for the LR1218 English section and at para 7.2 they "intimate" that the unit is good with "lead acid or lead gel" batteries. My habitation battery is a VARTA LFD 90 lead acid. The relevant page should appear below.
image.jpeg

Sorry brain in neutral I don't know if the software will allow a rotate, but at 7.2 it says suitable batteries : 6 cell lead acid or lead gel batteries, rated 55 Ah or higher

Now I appreciate that you Lenny are well versed and practical, and as everything was working OK until I changed the battery - and the solar side since, I am tempted just to restore the original set up and forget fitting the LR1218 for the time being. Now I am simply curious (some would say odd) as to Lenny's gel recommendation in light of the above.

I respect Lenny's input and having been able to view his "mods" I am inclined to follow his advice.

I prefer spending my money on toys, not correcting my screw ups!

Thanks again, I think the LR1218 is going to be redundant for the time being.

Clive

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The LR1218 is only a single stage charger it takes the battery up to 14.2 volts and holds it there there is no absorption or float phase so not good for flooded batteries although the LDF 90 is one of the few flooded batteries that can probably cope with it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a LR1218 connected to an EBL 99 and have 2 x LFD90 batteries. The latter have been fitted for 2 or 3 years now and seem fine. A few years ago I queried the matter of no float voltage on the LR1218 with Udo Lang at Schaudt. He suggested all would be ok because the voltage from the regulator falls to nothing each night anyway.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve had my LR1218 feeding 2 Elecsol batteries and now feeding 2 lead acid batteries , can’t remember the make, but all seem to work OK.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon gentlemen

I think as all worked before and apart from the mains/charger after my battery change I will restore the original fitting and leave the LR1218 on the shelf for the time being.

Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Let's see if a smiley faced crew appear on here tomorrow!

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg

Aft crew came up to the bridge to celebrate "functions normal."

Systems checks complete and satisfactory.

Departure Saturday on first appropriate shuttle.

LR1218 placed in store indefinitely.

Thanks all Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back