StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
My logic, admittedly potentially flawed, is that the B2B removes reliance on seasonal charging effectiveness, I need only diesel. Should I need more electrical juice, I simply (and considerately) run the engine for a while, whether that is whilst traveling or stationary.

It also avoids more holes in the roof...

Edit: van is from stock so no factory fit option for solar.

I think the B2B investment then also future proofs me for lithium batteries later on.

If you move everyday or even every second day, Lithium is the only tech you need. No need for solar if you move a lot. The B2B should only be necessary if you have a Euro 6 motor. A "normal" alternator give 14.4V, which is perfect to charge a Lithium battery with internal BMS.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you move everyday or even every second day, Lithium is the only tech you need. No need for solar if you move a lot. The B2B should only be necessary if you have a Euro 6 motor. A "normal" alternator give 14.4V, which is perfect to charge a Lithium battery with internal BMS.
It is Euro 6 but on a Fiat. But outside of that, does the Schaudt Elektroblock have a high enough charging voltage to support lithium? If not, presumably the B2B (or other charger) will be required?

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
(people don't realise your water pump nearly 8 amps is probably your biggest power draw) sorry hate to say this but that’s only 0.13333 amps per minute , how long do you run the pump, if I am misinformed please tell me , ? ?
Constant, instantaneous and average current ARE expressed in amps...
8 amps is 8 amps.. not 8 divided by some division of time.
My understanding is 8amps per hour @ 12 volts if not please make it clear , my understanding again it will take 8amps out of a battery in one hour if not how do you calculate discharge rate in simple terms please .?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StephDeLux

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
It is Euro 6 but on a Fiat. But outside of that, does the Schaudt Elektroblock have a high enough charging voltage to support lithium? If not, presumably the B2B (or other charger) will be required?

The Elektroblock's charger is in play only when charging from EHU. It is bypassed when charging from the alternator. Euro 6 Fiat until MY 2019 do not have a smart alternator so you don't need a B2B. But make sure the BMS integrated in the Lithium battery takes care of cutting the charge when the battery is fully charged. I have yet to see one that doesn't but still.

OP
OP
StephDeLux

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Shows my ignorance, I just assumed all leisure battery charging went via the EBL. Every day is a skool day! ;)

It took me to download and understand the schematics of the EBL. Schaudt publishes it all from their website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
(people don't realise your water pump nearly 8 amps is probably your biggest power draw) sorry hate to say this but that’s only 0.13333 amps per minute , how long do you run the pump, if I am misinformed please tell me , ? ?
my wife can run a 100litre water tank dry in less than a day if I let her she has no comprehension of how long she is running anything as long as she can wash up shower and clean exactly the same as at home. the reason I won't have a water meter ;)(y) but consider the other usage my LED lighting with everything on van lit up like a xmas tree only uses 2.amps the tv I have is 1.8 amps and if I let the truma fan run thats another 1.2 amps but non of the above are allowed to be on for long when we are wild camping much to wives disgust ::bigsmile:

Should qualify those figures as coming from my usage display and realise they are never exact figures, but near enough for me

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
My understanding is 8amps per hour @ 12 volts if not please make it clear , my understanding again it will take 8amps out of a battery in one hour if not how do you calculate discharge rate in simple terms please .?

I would agree with that.
A device drawing 8amps will use 8AH in one hour.
So, if you're taking a shower and taking into account the usual water conservation......... and the boiler is switched off........., then 30 seconds at 8amp will use 0.066AH :active:
?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back