Solar help please (2 Viewers)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
This summer I found my solar and battery setup a little lacking for off grid camping.
There was sun and we were driving for an hour or two each day but seemingly not enough to charge them the batteries sufficiently.
I`d like to be able to extend time off grid in future and wonder what I could best to do to achieve this ?
I have a 2003 Hymer B544, 80 watt (I think) solar panel, LR1214 charge regulator, ELB99, two 80 a/hr batteries under ISRI cab seats, not sure if there is space for larger battery.
Do I need a battery master or a battery 2 battery device, can someone explain what they do, or should I just add another solar panel or replace existing with two larger watt solar panels.
Is there anything else I could do ?

Thanks in advance

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My first thing would be to check that the solar and alternator are giving charge. Simple test with a multimeter.
If thats ok, how old or how much "action" have the batteries had.. May be best to start with a new pair. Bigger if you can fit them.
Then the panel or add on's.

I have 1 x120w and 2 x 110amp batts (2 years old) We dont have an issue EXCEPT when my grandson comes with us and sits watching TV for to long..

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
check that the solar and alternator are giving charge. Simple test with a multimeter.

I think I`d know how to do that with the solar panel but how would I check the alternator to solar please ?

Edit : sorry alternator to leisure battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think I`d know how to do that with the solar panel but how would I check the alternator to solar please ?

Same principal. Put meter across battery.. Best at night with no solar to confuse it or cover panel / disconnect.
Start engine and you should see the charge rate off the alternator. (y)

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Humm, the batteries are really difficult to get at being under the cab seats, is there anywhere else I could put the meter to test it ?
The built in meter over the door shows a charge from the solar in sun but not very accurate, do I need to know the exact voltage ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
300 watts and 3 batteries in our Hymer.:)

80 watts will keep the batteries topped up but won't do a lot if you are using a fair bit of power.

If your batteries look ok I would increase solar to at least 200 watts and fit a decent solar regulator like one of the Votronic MPPT ones.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ok, I'm looking to do this upgrade over the winter.
My existing solar panel is 1200 X 530 mm, would I be corrected in thinking this is a 100 watt ? That's the size of currently available 100 watt panels.
I've looked at the voltronic 250 watt controller, is it really that much better than the LR1214 ? And is it a straight forward job to swop controller.
Im thinking of adding another 100 watt panel as that would be an easier fit that a 150.

TIA

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You will get around 25% to 30% more just by fitting a MPPT solar regulator, are your batteries Gel or flooded Lead acid and is your solar charger/regulator set correctly for the batteries that you have.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've looked at the voltronic 250 watt controller, is it really that much better than the LR1214 ? And is it a straight forward job to swop controller.
Yes the Votronic controller will make a big difference in low light levels and low sun angles. Also has a much better charge regime which is kinder to your batteries.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
, are your batteries Gel or flooded Lead acid and is your solar charger/regulator set correctly for the batteries that you have.
The batteries are gel and elb set correctly.
Should it be a straight forward swop to the voltronic and does it come with wiring instructions ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Should it be a straight forward swop to the voltronic and does it come with wiring instructions ?
Does your current controller go through the ebl?

Yes it should be pretty straight forward changing the controller and yes it will come with instructions, if you are going through the ebl unit I believe there is a lead that you need to order.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes will be easy. It comes with diagram and instructions. The battery dip switches need setting to gel but the instructions explain if you read them a couple of times.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does your current controller go through the ebl?

Yes it should be pretty straight forward changing the controller and yes it will come with instructions, if you are going through the ebl unit I believe there is a lead that you need to order.
Yes there are connections from the LR1214 to the solar input on the elb which I believe also charges the cab battery. Will the voltronic do the same ?
I gather it has an optional digital display, is it worth having this as well ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am not sure about cab battery charging via the ebl but if its the Votronic duo that you are fitting it will have an independent output for the starter battery so one way or the other you will be able to get a charge to the starter battery.

I guess the digital display is what they call the solar computer, we have this fitted and it tells you watts volts and amps and keeps a running total of total amps/watts it might depend what other readouts you have in the van but I like it.

Martin

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Quick question for @Lenny HB or any other knowledgeable on electrics person please...
I`ve been looking at the existing electrical connections on the LR1214 and swopping to the Voltronic 250 solar controller seems straightforward. There are four connections, + & - from solar panel and the same going to the ELB99.
However, on the wiring diagram (attached) for the Voltronic there is a separate connection to go to the cab battery which confuses me.
I had always believed the LR1214 sent a trickle charge to the cab battery when the leisure battery was charged but maybe this wasn`t the case ?
So what do I need if I want to use this connection on the Voltronic to the cab battery please ?

Attachments

• Voltronic Solar Controller Wiring.pdf
    871.9 KB · Views: 18
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you want to use it just connect it to the positive on the cab battery via a 5a fuse. Sounds like you don't need it though if the other thing trickle charges it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If the EBL99 has a connection for the starter battery on the solar input block just connect it to that, if it has that's how the LR1214 would have been connected.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`m now ready to fit the Votronic 250 Duo controller replacing my existing set up of LR1214 charge regulator connected to the input on the ELB99. I`ll also be fitting an additional 100watt SP.
What I`m unsure of is I`d always understood a trickle charge was sent to the cab battery with this set up, but the Votronic controller has a separate output to the cab battery. Do I need to do anything with this output ?
Does the ELB send a trickle charge to the cab battery so I can leave the output from the Votronic alone ?
The only connections to the existing LR1214 are + & - from solar panel and the same going to the ELB99
TIA

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
OK, I`ve fitted the Votronic 250 Duo Dig controller with display panel and all seems to be working fine, just need some sunshine now, but a couple of questions please

1) Can I tell the power of my existing solar panel by the size. It`s 120cm x 53cm x 3.5cm.
The 100watt new solar panels seems to be of a similar size (120x54x3.5) so can I assume mines a 100 watt ?

2) Do they deteriorate over time and their power output diminish ?

3) The Votronic 250 Duo Dig controller is fitted in the wooden cabinet next to the ELB 99 which is where the LR1214 was fitted so it seemed the obvious place to put it. However the instructions said to keep a 10cm clearance all around and in good ventilated area. So how hot does the Votronic get in use ? am I going to need to move it or fit a fan to ventilate it in the cabinet ?
The Votronic seems to have an internal cooling fan.
I intend to add another 100watt solar panel next but probably leave it until the New Year.

TIA

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just keep an eye on temperatures. Most units only become hot when they're working very hard and if they get too hot they shut down rather than cause damage. If you can do so arrange some ventilation to outside the cabinet - a fan will just move the hot air around inside. With some minor trimming of the front & rear plastic covers I was able to fit 2 x 80Ah batteries under the drivers seat. It is equally possible to do the same under the passenger seat (2008 B584). Your existing panel may be marked with output on the underside (very convenient!). However it's easier to compare with similar sizes on eBay. The area of a panel determines its output so comparing similar offerings on eBay (other sites available!) will be sufficiently accurate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
1) Can I tell the power of my existing solar panel by the size. It`s 120cm x 53cm x 3.5cm.
The 100watt new solar panels seems to be of a similar size (120x54x3.5) so can I assume mines a 100 watt ?
If it is a Polycrystalline panel it may only be 80 watt, if a Monocrystalline probably 100 watt.

2) Do they deteriorate over time and their power output diminish ?
Yes about 25 % over 20 years, if your panel is around 15 years old with the price of panels so cheap now probably worth replacing.

3) The Votronic 250 Duo Dig controller is fitted in the wooden cabinet next to the ELB 99 which is where the LR1214 was fitted so it seemed the obvious place to put it. However the instructions said to keep a 10cm clearance all around and in good ventilated area. So how hot does the Votronic get in use ? am I going to need to move it or fit a fan to ventilate it in the cabinet ?
The Votronic seems to have an internal cooling fan.
I intend to add another 100watt solar panel next but probably leave it until the New Year.
Unless the regulator is working at full chat will probably be OK, so unless you have 250 watts of solar, your batteries are low and it's mid June should be OK as Tony says keep an eye on it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
two 80 a/hr batteries under ISRI cab seats, not sure if there is space for larger battery.
2 x 80 a/h Gel will give you equivelant power to 2 x 125 a/h flooded cells so I would stick with trhe Gels.

Does the ELB send a trickle charge to the cab battery so I can leave the output from the Votronic alone ?
The only connections to the existing LR1214 are + & - from solar panel and the same going to the ELB99
The solar connections on the EBL just go straight through to the batteries. The Votronic has a 1 amp output for charging the starter battery up to you if you think it is enough. I didn't use that output on mine, I fitted a CBE Solar split charge relay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Quick question for @Lenny HB or any other knowledgeable on electrics person please...
I`ve been looking at the existing electrical connections on the LR1214 and swopping to the Voltronic 250 solar controller seems straightforward. There are four connections, + & - from solar panel and the same going to the ELB99.
However, on the wiring diagram (attached) for the Voltronic there is a separate connection to go to the cab battery which confuses me.
I had always believed the LR1214 sent a trickle charge to the cab battery when the leisure battery was charged but maybe this wasn`t the case ?
So what do I need if I want to use this connection on the Voltronic to the cab battery please ?
The LR1214 charges the starter battery as well but I don't think it does it via the EBL99 (later EBL's the connection goes via the EBL). So if the LR1214 has been wired correctly you should find a wire going to the starter battery, if using the starter battery output from the Votronic just connect to that wire.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've done a battery test today on the two 80a/hr leisure batteries.
I ran a 4-5 amp load for nine hours, start voltage was 13.4 and end voltage 12.4 although I wasn't able to let them rest for long after removing the load.
Do they sound healthy ?
TIA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back