Solar Controller question (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
I had this unit already fitted when I purchased the MH with twin batteries and a great panel, is it possible to get a better controller, I would like to know battery levels, charge levels and maybe what the panel is putting into the battery?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 68

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi mark. Yes it's possible to put in another controller. .
As long as it can handle the panel power.. .
Some controllers will display the panel voltage, battery voltage ,charging current , loadpower , if you use the load terminal and also the type of battery bank you are charging can be set..
An mppt controller would possibly help you harvest a little more power from the panel ,and might be worth considering. .
Some controller's offer a remote display as an optional extra to display the functions you mention....
Someone may be along to actually recommend a specific make but try a search in the tech and mechanical section for solar controllers.. there will be loads there I'm sure..
Andy.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a solar panel made by CS Evolution, who were an Italian company but I think they have now gone out of business - which is annoying for me because I was considering getting another of their panel - it was of an almost unique size - long and very narrow which was the perfect shape to fit on my roof. :(

I suggest fitting a battery monitor first as Hilldweller suggests. I have the NASA BM-1 Compact but you can get things off eBay for a fraction of the cost which might work just as well. A battery monitor will tell you the state of charge of your batteries and whether they are being charged or discharged. It will need to be wired in but it will tell you the state of your batteries.

A charge controller might tell you that it is pushing out 8 amps but that is only half the story if there is a, 10 amp drain. :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have the same set up as pointed out by @Stealaway
200w of solar keeping twin banks of batteries in good shape ,and a pretty good price for the link indicated on fleabay......

Apart from it being in China

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back