Solaer Panels & Battery Power (1 Viewer)

IanC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
Fareham
Funster No
MH
Hi top van conv
Exp
4 months (as of June 2010)
With our lack of knowledge as new users I did purchase a 13W fold up solar panel which was on special offer in Macro's. I know now that it is not likely to be of great use but it may make a small difference as long as we get a reasonably sunny day. We do not have any space on the roof for any larger solar panels...

However, In reading many of the threads I seem to recall something about unplugging it at night. If it is not unplugged does it drain the battery & undo any good it has done throughout the day? I was not aware of this & have left it plugged in all night to try & take advantage of the early light. Am I doing wrong?

Ianc

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you should be fine I have not come across a panel yet that is NOT fitted with diodes. To prevent reverse current flow.

OP
OP
IanC

IanC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
Fareham
Funster No
MH
Hi top van conv
Exp
4 months (as of June 2010)
Many thanks Wildman. Now a little more re-assured

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you want to check if the panel is fitted with diode protection is simple, you need a multimeter with a ohm's setting, cover the panel with some form of light limiting cover, so that it cant generate any current, then check with the ohms meter,the panel of course must be disconnected and isolated.

Then put the meter leads to the panel cables, one way it will conduct the other way it wont, that's the diode working if there is no reading one way.

Its worth mentioning that the diode will drop the voltage by 0.5v so don't go and put another diode in circuit as that will then be 1.0 volt drop from the panel.

Doug...

OP
OP
IanC

IanC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
Fareham
Funster No
MH
Hi top van conv
Exp