SOG (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We met some fulltimers recently who were telling us about their SOG unit. Before we go ahead and buy one we thought we'd check it out a bit more with the funsters. If you have one of these or have any advice we'd be very grateful for your help.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have one fitted to our M/H and we think it's worth having, you get no smell inside and save on chemicals. If the charcoal filter is changed regularly you don't stink your neighbours out to much :rolleyes:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The only experience we have of SOG was being parked close to another van with one a couple of years ago - a very aromatic experience as I recall... But I've no clue if current units are less prone to such or if it was related to upkeep etc. I'm also curious/interested about a SOG unit and look forward to input from the knowledgeable here...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We like them, had them on our last two vans.
This van has thetfords equivalent built in, a lot of the newer toilets do.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have had a SOG fitted some years ago ... great piece of kit, no chemicals, no smells and the filter can be replenished with activated charcoal which is much cheaper than new filters.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I fitted a SOGII a couple of years ago, one of the best things we've bought for the M/H. No more smells in M/H, no chemicals, and you can empty your cassette in any toilet.(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted one about four years ago. A great modification in my view. As others have said - no smell inside and I have not noticed a significant smell outside - yes, I check it regularly!
A significant advantage is that you can dump the casette whenever a dump point is available - no need to wait until it's full for fear of wasting chemicals. When abroad and moving between camperstops, I normally dump the casette once a day (just two of us).

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Anothervote for SOG.
two MH's both with SOG fitted.
IMO fantastic bit of kit.

Mel

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
What a fantastic site this is :) Ask a question and gets lots of answers and good advice, immediately, perfect :D Thanks all!!!
Looks like we will be SOG converts(y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have had a SOG fitted some years ago ... great piece of kit, no chemicals, no smells and the filter can be replenished with activated charcoal which is much cheaper than new filters.
How do you replenish with activated charcoal? Also, where do you get the activated charcoal?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Joe

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
How do you replenish with activated charcoal? Also, where do you get the activated charcoal?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Joe
You can buy the activated charcoal on Ebay ... example Broken Link Removed

To replenish your filter, first give it a good wash and dry thoroughly.
Then put the filter in a sealed polythene bag with sufficient charcoal powder and shake it around so it collects the powder.
I was given this advice when buying my SOG from the original dealer at the shows.

This works just as well as the original filter at a fraction of the cost for a new one as a small bag of the powder will reactivate numerous times.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can buy the activated charcoal on Ebay ... example Broken Link Removed

To replenish your filter, first give it a good wash and dry thoroughly.
Then put the filter in a sealed polythene bag with sufficient charcoal powder and shake it around so it collects the powder.
I was given this advice when buying my SOG from the original dealer at the shows.

This works just as well as the original filter at a fraction of the cost for a new one as a small bag of the powder will reactivate numerous times.
Many thanks.

Joe

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have a WOT fitted in our MH and to date no smells, or offended MH neighbours. Sometimes the WOT falls out with me and I have to do it myself. This can be more expensive than the SOG, but great fun.

Now I know you're all asking what is a WOT...............................

Wife Operated Toilet

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have a WOT fitted in our MH and to date no smells, or offended MH neighbours. Sometimes the WOT falls out with me and I have to do it myself. This can be more expensive than the SOG, but great fun.

Now I know you're all asking what is a WOT...............................

Wife Operated Toilet

Where did you one of them :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Where did you one of them :)

She came with the marriage certificate................................ THANK god she does not read this forum or it would be the divorce certificate.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We bought a retro fit SOG kit but I haven't fitted yet. There is a part within the cassette compartment which has to be cut and Im thinking if its not done exactly as the instructions say then the whole toilet is buggered

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I've been considering fitting one.
Regarding being next to an "aromatic" van with one fitted, I was talking to a guy in France who had a one park next to him.
It seemed the offender had a device fitted,but had either no filter or a knackered one.
Before leaving early next morning, he duct taped the outlet.
The air was a little blue.

Fair enough, eh?

It's ok having no smell inside, but filters must be maintained out of consideration for others.

Still thinking about fitting one.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We bought a retro fit SOG kit but I haven't fitted yet. There is a part within the cassette compartment which has to be cut and Im thinking if its not done exactly as the instructions say then the whole toilet is buggered
On ours the vent tube is fitted into the yellow cap on the spout so no drilling into the cassette. The tube just pushes in to the cap and is held and sealed by an "O" ring. When removing the cassette for emptying the tube pulls out and is replaced with a plug.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We met some fulltimers recently who were telling us about their SOG unit. Before we go ahead and buy one we thought we'd check it out a bit more with the funsters. If you have one of these or have any advice we'd be very grateful for your help.
If you can cope with the awful chemical smell of a non sog bog, then you don't need one, the small outlay is well worth it to do away with this and other odours. Welcome to Motor Home Fun, by the way, enjoy your travels.

Simon and Marg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A SOG kit was already fitted to our cassette unit when we bought the MH, however, it was the wrong kit, and was meant for the earlier bench type cassette. At the Dusseldorf Show, we bought the correct kit, and as Canopus (Ken) posted, a part within the cassette compartment needs to be modified. It's the white plastic operating linkage to the blade mechanisim, so as to accommodate the taller green elbow pipe joint, which takes place of the grey spring loaded pressure relief valve. Shortly after obtaining the kit, I got bored one evening :LOL: and modified our mechanisim (as per the instructions) and fitted the new kit on a site at Luxembourg.

Because of the absolutely awful "gut wrenching stench" when emptying the blooming thing, I use cheap non bio washing powder tablets (Wilko or Aldi), when refreshing the cassette. I am not a great fan of the SOG system, but they do make the task that little bit more beareable, (without resorting to chemicals), and they also help to break down the solids, as well as keeping the cassette free of calcium/limescale build up.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
If you can cope with the awful chemical smell of a non sog bog, then you don't need one, the small outlay is well worth it to do away with this and other odours. Welcome to Motor Home Fun, by the way, enjoy your travels.

Simon and Marg

Thanks Simon and Marg, we are retired now so getting away a lot in the van and thoroughly enjoying it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never had a SOG of my own..but been on the receiving end of the smell from several.. and it's not pleasant.. (n)

USRVs have a stench pipe that goes from the black tank up to the roof .. this removes the methane gas without the need for a fan, it also disperses above head height .. no fan or filter needed. Natural draft creates a negative pressure in the tank.

A friend of mine had a SOG on the awning side of his van , right by the hab. door, due to it being smelly, he was all for disconnecting it until I suggested re-routing the exhaust pipe to the roof..

I did the modification and it worked very well.. bought a longer pipe and re-routed inside the van in a corner, concealed using plastic mini trunking.. fitted a cowl on the roof.. job done... no more smells and no filter needed..

If fitting one in future, I would do it that way rather than fitting a filter in the compartment door.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm...... I have wondered about a SOG but currently settle for a squirt of 'bio washing liquid' and empty once a day. I can fully understand the benefit of the extractor fan drawing air from the cassette when the flap is closed (no smells) however I can not see that the waste matter is broken down with the 'oxygen' because the fan is not on long enough and the air is not drawn through the liquid.

Can someone provide satisfactory proof that they really work? I wonder if a SOG owner might not be the best person to ask (biased).

I have not used the proper blue stuff in our loo so I can not really compare but it does appear that bio liquid does help to keep smells down. For what it's worth I think that bio liquid does not have enough time to break down solids etc. If you drive the van between 'emptying' the physical aggravation of the contents in the loo will break down the contents considerably more than any bio liquid or (I would imagine) SOG.

I have also found that the effectiveness of any perfumed add in is related to how much is put in, how much water is put in, how hot the ambient temperature is and how frequently the cassette is emptied.

So for me at the moment the bottom line (no pun intended haha) is that any old perfumed liquid will do and empty the cassette often.

Now, as for environment friendliness, that is another topic altogether. I would certainly concede that the SOG is environmentally friendly.............. but many people reduce that element of the argument by adding bio liquid any way!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back