So that's why my TV reception was less than useable! (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Had to take my Maxview TV aerial off the roof and noticed a swishing noise coming from it when moved... yes, it was full of water!

The water had actually tracked down the cable and corroded the connection at the amplifier.
Purchased a new one and replaced the down feed cable and everything is now working again... result!

Thought you might like to see the inside of one of these.

20210831_160030.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
It can be frustrating because sometimes there just isn't a signal to be had, but we went to the 'Little Roodee' car park in Chester where we knew we had a good signal(as written in our trip log) the last time we were there only to find no signal at all, which prompted the fault finding!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Someone has bodged that up.
If they have it was at the point of manufacture.
There are four plastic lugs that cover screws that need to be removed before the assembly can be parted and those lugs cannot be removed without damaging them... they were not damaged.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's an "air gap" built into the insulation of some coax cable that, if the exterior end isn't sealed properly (usually with self amalgamating tape) it will allow water to travel down inside the cable. My pal noticed water dripping out of the bottom of his house tv, he accused his kids of spilling their drinks on it !

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Very poor quality considering the cost, I will stick with this for when no satellite signal
I got one of those on your recommendation years ago (I think) and it worked a treat..👍🏼

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Very poor quality considering the cost, I will stick with this for when no satellite signal
Got one too but ours is branded 'August dta240'
They don't look like much do they, not even directional but they pull the channels in like a directional roof aerial 😳💕

Edit: Must be use with a ground plain like a metal skinned roof 👍

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Got one too but ours is branded 'August dta240'
They don't look like much do they, not even directional but they pull the channels in like a directional roof aerial 😳💕

Edit: Must be use with a ground plain like a metal skinned roof 👍
Mines the same but the other day at Lyndon top
I turned tv in and then put aerial in cupboard till I needed it, used tv with aerial still in cupboard and it worked perfectly.

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
The foam is only there to support the thin plastic covers.
It failed due to the aerial lead not being sealed and the water ran down that.
The foam may be there to support the covers but water got in through a top blanking plug which covers the bolt that anchors it to the roof mount.
The rubber seal had perished. The connection to the aerial lead was intact.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back