So much to learn before we buy!!! (1 Viewer)

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Unless you are buying new, depreciation is pretty insignificant so buying now won't lose you much money and you will have the convenience of the motorhome being available at the drop of a hat so you can take full advantage of any good weather we get. Once you get used managing power etc you can even avoid site fees by using pub car parks and Britstops etc so lots of cheap weekends away in nice places. We haven't retired yet but still got 70 nights away last year.

OP
OP
Poppy Williams

Poppy Williams

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
Love the idea of Britstops, I have never heard of that before did thought it would be difficult in the country and would need to use campsites. This makes it even more enticing and free to roam. I will do some more research on this now. Does anyone know what France is like to ‘wildcamp’? Is it safe?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Elaine
Welcome to the fun forum
Can I just point out you will need to “buy into” the forum and take out a subscription, it will be the best £15 you’ve ever spent. Once you’ve subscribed you will be able to do download Jim’s guide to buying a motorhome, this is a great resource.
All the best
Andrea.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Hi
Owning our own motor home is definitly high on my list of desires in life. We did have a classic VW van several years ago and travelled to France and around theUk which was amazing but I’m 51 now and want to travel in luxury and comfort. We currently own a caravan but find it more restricting and don’t use it as much as we should. I feel that if we had a van we would be more likely to head off for a night any time we fancied. My husband is wanting to hang on till we retire and guarantee using it more often as it is a big cost. I feel that we should be getting one now and living life to the full at every opportunity. Having a van gives you freedom but with a caravan stuck on the back of the car every journey needs to be planned for fear of taking the wrong turn. The question is if I can persuade him to trade in the caravan do we buy a new van or a nearly new second hand? I want a twin bed layout and rear bathroom. I love the look of the Autotrail vans but that as is far as my research has got. I can see from all the questions on this forum that there is so much to learn. We have grandchildren and I can see myself heading off with them or taking my friend for girly weekends. Will I be able to drive it? I think so, but I don’t notice many women doing the driving or am I just not looking. Any advice this very early stage would be most welcomed. I can visualise the day when I go to pick up our new van and it makes me feel very excited!!!

Well I've seen plenty of women doing a grand job of driving motorhomes (some of them scarily large as far as I am concerned -- the motorhomes, I mean, before anyone chips in!). And, dare I be so ungallant to say, not all were in the first flush of youth.

Best bet is to get yourself to a few motorhome shows and have a good look at what's available and fathom out exactly what works best for you. It's a big investment, so plenty of research work before committing is a very good plan -- and pick the brains of the collective on here, who together have seen and experienced pretty much everything (not just motorhome-related either!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back