Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Hi Campers,

We have been on the road for five weeks in France all off Grid starting at Le Crotoy on the Bay of the Somme and crossed over the Pyrenees at about 20 mph as bends and steep bits came up quite fast.
Managed with no Solar just the 120amp battery and Lpg and a little light at night after dark, we found some great Aires from the book some free but mainly from €4-7 but all good apart from the odd one that had pile driving all day.
A few Aires had problems from the book the first was Le Man Aires in the centre by the river is closed with large rocks across the front I am not sure what is happening but best to avoid,so next as it was late we headed for Suze sur sarthe and that has also been closed with a 2.4 metre barrier at the bridge.We used it out of season both up and down country but to anybody who has stayed their you may remember the old disused camp site at the back of the aires that has recently been turned into a new Aires with access from the Swimming pool end (from the bridge first right, first right.) but only open May to September so of no use to us again.You can still empty out side the site that also is the towns new recycling point next to the swimming pool ,but no parking.
We drove on again to Chateauneuf Sur Sarth another good Aires on the same river with much the same outlook by the river.
We are at a ACSI camp site €19 a night next to the town of Haro in the Rioja wine making area with 14 Bodegas in town alone so need seven days here for tasting alone, also washing need doing.

Snowbirds.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Just arrived back from Portugal on Monday and won't be long before we head of on your tail.
We always stopped a couple of nights at Suze sarth but been advised that the pitch's on the new Aire may not be big enough for us, 10m +trailer.

Love the route over the Pyrenees towards Pamplona, been that way at various times of the year and it's always very quiet. We took 2 hours from Pamplona to Pied de port, crawler gear most of the way down.

Not been to the Haro Aire, may look at that for our trip down. We normally travel a little south from there, Estela, Logrono route.

Enjoy your trip

Shawn

OP
OP
snowbirds
Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Hi Shawn,
We are on the ACSI Campsite at Haro don't think there is a Aires,if so it's not in my book but we needed a site for washing and a look around.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowbirds
Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Hi Judith,
I have just looked up Totana and it looks lovely does it have Aires or campsites close to town as we don't have bikes we are heading south towards Portugal but had trouble with the new auto tolls a couple of years ago and just drove back into Spain with out finding a way to pay so wife may be arrested if we return as vans in her name.But all things being ok and we are out till the New Year and we will return up the med coast back to France around the mountain this time.I will put Totana on my list and for that coast run back to the UK thanks for you comments.

John & Pat.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Judith,
I have just looked up Totana and it looks lovely does it have Aires or campsites close to town as we don't have bikes we are heading south towards Portugal but had trouble with the new auto tolls a couple of years ago and just drove back into Spain with out finding a way to pay so wife may be arrested if we return as vans in her name.But all things being ok and we are out till the New Year and we will return up the med coast back to France around the mountain this time.I will put Totana on my list and for that coast run back to the UK thanks for you comments.

John & Pat.

The camperstop is 3km uphill from the town, which makes it easy to visit but a little harder to return with loaded shopping bags!!! Saying that, there is always someone visiting the shops daily. We have been known to go armed with shopping lists and/or as many happy shoppers we can fit into our van!

You'll never go hungry (or thirsty). Very nice 5 litre wine boxes for under €8 :D bought locally! and a nice restaurant for menu del dia a 2km FLAT walk away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowbirds
Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Sounds great, normally stock up before stopping then only have to pickup odd bits.Do you have name or directions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back