Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Funsters,
We are heading off to Spain next weekend, using the tunnel then west coast France and straight thru the middle of Spain (past Madrid) and onto Malaga region. Coming back the same way just before Christmas.

We are seasoned travellers and have done this before but never in Nov/Dec !!
I know we will have the short daylight hours, rain, rain and probably more rain to contend with but will there be snow?
I’ve just noticed that they have had some good snow in northern Spain!

Would it be wise to buy some snow chains?
Is it law that you HAVE to carry snow chains?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Most people that buy snow chains use them once only. After the first lesson of fitting they park up put the kettle on and wait for the snow plough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have done that rout over last seven years late Nov early Dec and not needed them although have carried them have come across occasional snow just above Caceres but nothing to stop travel and roads cleared quickly.?

OP
OP
S

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Snowbird,
Yeah that would probably be us!

Think I’ll buy some tho just in case it’s a legal requirement. Whether I use them or not will depend on other factors

OP
OP
S

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
We have done that rout over last seven years late Nov early Dec and not needed them although have carried them have come across occasional snow just above Caceres but nothing to stop travel and roads cleared quickly.?

Thanks Speve,
Thats brilliant info.

I’ll get some just in case tho

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If a road is that bad that anyone would require snow chains to move a motorhome with front wheel drive with most of its weight over the rear axle, it is not going to be going very far before there is going to be some sort of disaster. Anyone that has tried to fit snow chains in a blizzard and has got wet through to the skin and filthy dirty in the process of fitting the infernal things will tell you to park up and wait until the road is cleared. If conditions dictate the fitting of snow chains, its not fit to drive in my opinion.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If conditions dictate the fitting of snow chains, its not fit to drive in my opinion.
That isn't the point Dave, if the law requires chains or alpine tyres, which many areas do, you have no choice but carry them.... Even if the road is bone dry.
If spot checked and you don't have them you WILL be turned back

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That isn't the point Dave, if the law requires chains or alpine tyres, which many areas do, you have no choice but carry them.... Even if the road is bone dry.
If spot checked and you don't have them you WILL be turned back

In that case, just buy the cheapest set you can find, and carry them. Any old school truck drivers will tell you to stay well clear of chains. We had no choice but chain up as if the wheels stopped going round, the money stopped going into the bank.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can now get 'tie-wrap/cable tie' type snow grippers, no idea if they're any good or even legal ... hubby's been talking about getting them but if he does he'd be the one putting them on not me!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Snowbird,
Yeah that would probably be us!

Think I’ll buy some tho just in case it’s a legal requirement. Whether I use them or not will depend on other factors
There's a discount off some on Eurocarparts this weekend bringing the price down to around £37.

OP
OP
S

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments.

All good points.
I didn’t ask the right questions I suppose!

Feedback that snow chains may not be that effective has been noted.
The point I was trying to get to was from a legal point of view.

I’m going to buy some, the ‘modern’ type that should be easier to put on but with the intention of not putting them on if pulling up and putting the kettle on is an option!
Just want to be legal so I get the two options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back