Snow chains in mud (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
I once got chatting to a guy who did moto cross & he said he used chains if he got stuck on grass in his motorhome any thoughts? Happy travels Rod

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The idea works, I've seen forestry vehicles with chains and not a sign of snow.
But, if the wheels spin the chains will dig very big holes very quickly and if the bottom of the vehicle touches the ground you're very stuck.

I carry a pair of Tracmats now after having a "moment" on dry sand - for which chains would have been of no use whatsoever. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, I've used them both as a preventive measure and a recovery measure.

However, there is one golden rule that applies, with or without snow chains fitted, if the wheel starts to spin dip the clutch immediately.
You can then start to think about what do do next.

If that option results in wheel spin, the same rule applies!

Ian

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The best thing with chains on a 2 wd vehicle is use the chains to get you out not further in , ie if you get stuck fit chains and go in reverse
you can only choose the forward option if you have further options
like 4 wd or diff locks . Unless you are VERY certain that going forward will get you out .

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agree with all that's been said - I would add one important point though. If you are stuck - i.e. wheels spinning accept you are stuck and think of how to overcome it. I have seen so many people in the past who have wheel spin but not stuck BUT by the time they have sat at the wheel revving the nuts off the vehicle in forward and reverse they really are stuck - they have built a mountain of mud in front and behind both axles and then need recovering. Accept you have a problem and take action before you are stuck. Always check your steering is in the straight ahead position before either trying to drive out OR being pulled out otherwise you are just using them as an anchor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Chains work by digging down to the road through ice and snow to gain traction.
If you are on soft ground it may be a long way down to suitable Rocky ground and you will keep digging until you either find rock or bottom out.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have 2 sets of of the plastic tracks , got out of some proper slop with care and a gentle foot.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
However, there is one golden rule that applies, with or without snow chains fitted, if the wheel starts to spin dip the clutch immediately.
You can then start to think about what do do next.

If that option results in wheel spin, the same rule applies!

Ian

Chains work by digging down to the road through ice and snow to gain traction.
If you are on soft ground it may be a long way down to suitable Rocky ground and you will keep digging until you either find rock or bottom out.

Only if you ignore the golden rule!

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back