Snipe dome start up sequence. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We are off to Bulgaria in the morning so I thought had best check things over in the van as we have not used it for some time. Switched on the Snipe sat dome which is connected to an Avtex TV and after a lot of whiring and bleeping the TV said no signal. Am an absolute dinosaur when it comes to these things and I have no instructions for the confounded machine. Can anyone give me step by step idiot proof instructions how to get Coronation Street tonight.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am I the only one stupid enough to have had one of these Snipe domes fitted ?. I know it must be embarrassing but come on, there must be another one out there somewhere.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't know anything about anything, but can you swop satellites and search for channels again?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't know anything about anything, but can you swop satellites and search for channels again?

Quite possibly Chris.....If I knew how to. Everything that has been manufactured since Gardener diesel engines has to be plug and play with me am afraid.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is there still a physical link between the antenna and the TV set, ie an aerial cable connecting them?

Reason I ask is because it's possible to disconnect our aerial cable near where it comes in from the roof, and it became disconnected behind the aerial socket when a service engineer made some changes to it.

Is the TV set acting as if it's receiving nothing at all (our Avtex does a count down and switches off if nothing at all's being received) or does it look like the antenna's OK but the channel scan is failing to find anything?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is there still a physical link between the antenna and the TV set, ie an aerial cable connecting them?

Reason I ask is because it's possible to disconnect our aerial cable near where it comes in from the roof, and it became disconnected behind the aerial socket when a service engineer made some changes to it.

Is the TV set acting as if it's receiving nothing at all (our Avtex does a count down and switches off if nothing at all's being received) or does it look like the antenna's OK but the channel scan is failing to find anything?

Aha, a fellow sufferer, please except my condolences :). The TV does a countdown, then shuts down after a while as you say. Will nip out and have a look if cook has stuffed some of her paraphernalia in the cupboard that holds the Snipe controller.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Aha, a fellow sufferer, please except my condolences :).

Not quite - we have a dish not a dome, but before picking the MH up from the dealership we asked for an extra 12v socket to be installed next to the aerial socket, and it was mucked up.

The only way I could prove no aerial cable link between the roof connection and the habitation area wall socket was to connect the TV up directly to the roof connection inside the wardrobe. There was no problem at all with the signal there. However when I connected it to the wall socket there was nothing at all. On inspection they found the aerial cable had been disconnected from the socket when the 12v socket was done.

If your TV is doing the countdown and the antenna is making all the right noises it surely has to be something to do with your aerial lead, assuming you're tuning into the correct satellite of course.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Where are you crossing the ogin Dave?
We will be in Cite Europe on Wednesday evening, if you are in the area I can check it out for you, while Pat goes shopping!!
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Where are you crossing the ogin Dave?
We will be in Cite Europe on Wednesday evening, if you are in the area I can check it out for you, while Pat goes shopping!!
Cheers
Ed

Dunkirk midnight Tuesday pal. Sorry to miss you pal, but will be in the Hofbrauhaus Munich on Wednesday night. No time to dilly dally as I have to be in Sofia by weekend.
Germany 2015 006.JPG

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I have the snipe dome and the Avtex tv only just fitted it so just getting used to it. Did find I had to retune the tv a couple of times if not used for several weeks. Also select the satellite and push the ok button on the controller even if the green light is solid, I do have instruction book.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Elsie Tanner does the dirty on Ken Barlow this week...

Don't need to watch now Mr Snowbird...

Hope this helps...

JJ :cool:

PS. I have just Skyped you the Snipe User Manual in PDF format...

Last edited:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought a snipe dome,.i
I installed the first one without testing it off the van( bad idea) after a lot of whiting , no signal.so off the van before the glue took hold, phoned snipe who arranged for it to be exchanged.Being curious I decieded to take off the dome and have look.Straight away I could see that the foil covered foam covering the mirror had come unstuck and was preventing the dish turning.I was amazed the foam cover had no mechanical fittings ,only about 5mm silver tape holding it on !!!!
That was about a year ago and since the new one has been no trouble,but I await the day moisture gets the better of the tape,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back