Snipe 2 or Snipe dome (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
I have found quite a bit of info on the Snipe 2 but hardly anything on their Dome. Looking to buy one or the other but would appreciate any information on offer.
Thanks Kevin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have the snipe 2. Not taken it south yet but I believe it will reach UK channels from the middle of France.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Had good telly all the way down to nearly the French Spanish border.with snipe 2. Excellent service from them too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Chaps at outdoor bits in exmouth reconned that the snipe2 is not designed to withstand constant weather exposure on a mh roof, advised to go with the dome.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Chaps at outdoor bits in exmouth reconned that the snipe2 is not designed to withstand constant weather exposure on a mh roof, advised to go with the dome.

If that's the case I guess living in Scotland mine won't last, Timd will tell.

OP
OP
Gilbs
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
Did you get the Dome and if so what do you think of it?

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Not yet, spent toooo much on new van bits, maybe a Christmas present!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Snipe 1 on my last van was playing up so I took it to bits no signs of moisture inside at all, it had been on the roof for 2½ years and one of the claims for the Snipe 2 is weather. proofing has improved.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I fitted snipe dome about a year ago.I made a fatal mistake with the fist one, fitted it without checking it worked,it didn’t,seemed to be jamming.just managed to prize it off before the sikoflex set. A phone call and it was replaced next day.They say that removing the lid and having a poke round would invalidate the guarantee,however curiosity got the better.What had caused the jamming was a piece of foil foil taped to the mirror had fell off and was stopping the dish revolving.Not the best build quality I thought.However the replacement has been faultless on all our trips bouncing around England ( haven’t used it abroad) Reception has always been good,and easily finds your chosen satellite

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the Snipe dome on the PVC, it works well enough in Europe and is easy to use now am familiar with it. I was advised to get the dome as the dish could have vibration problems especially on a PVC. The down side to the dome, is that it does add quite a bit of height to the van.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Snipe 2 is advertised as being suitable to mounting on the roof of a vehicle. I can’t see any logic in a company designing a satellite system that can’t be sited outside.
Sounds like they had run out of Snipe 2’s or just wanted you to buy the possibly dearer dome!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Used my snipe 2 all over Britain and France as far south as Bordeaux.been brilliant with no issues at all.and remember it lays flat ish on the roof out of the worst of the wind when driving. Roy

OP
OP
Gilbs
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
Thanks for all of your comments, I've decided to go with the Snipe 2, being fitted next week.
Thanks again everyone.
Kevin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back