Smoking in motorhomes: new law October 2015 (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No you quoted that as a citation for secondary smoke causing death
By the way I only used the passing car as an example. Would you like me to give more examples of being endured to breathing in pre digested nicotine? Why do you think this law is being implemented?

then:
I gave you an example of how non smokers can smell smokers regardless of the circumstances.
Smelling a burning cigarette from a moving vehicle is highly unlikely, unless of course you are blessed with the scent glands of a german shepherd dog, and the concentration of poisons would be far less than the toxins emitted from the exhaust of the vehicle that was passing.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
It is a wonder that some people go out their front door.
BTW if you think that tabacco smoke is "putrid" God help you if you ever get a whiff of rotting flesh.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
It is a wonder that some people go out their front door.
BTW if you think that tabacco smoke is "putrid" God help you if you ever get a whiff of rotting flesh.

I was involved with body retrieval for the UN in Kosovo. I know all about the smell thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It should also be noted that nicotine is not the carcinogen within a cigarette, it's all the other nasties.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
No you quoted that as a citation for secondary smoke causing death

then:

Smelling a burning cigarette from a moving vehicle is highly unlikely, unless of course you are blessed with the scent glands of a german shepherd dog, and the concentration of poisons would be far less than the toxins emitted from the exhaust of the vehicle that was passing.

Like I said to you earlier I often catch the smell of a car going past with the occupants smoking, however it's a million times worse when I have to pass hordes of office workers on the pavement smoking outside offices, pubs, clubs, restaurants,schools,shops, and even my gym?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Like I said to you earlier I often catch the smell of a car going past with the occupants smoking, however it's a million times worse when I have to pass hordes of office workers on the pavement smoking outside offices, pubs, clubs, restaurants,schools,shops, and even my gym?
But that is a different scenario!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's a very interesting statement and one that I have to agree with. You see, when smoke comes out of a smokers mouth they have no care in the world where that smoke drifts to, nor do I believe they realise how far that smoke drifts, how much it smells, and how much non smokers hate it. I can even smell rancid smoke when a car passes me with someone smoking. If I can smell it, I am inhaling it. The person in the car has no awareness or is conscious of others who don't smoke.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Have you second sight as well ?
(Gus, a non-smoker(y))
Our life expectancy is far higher now.
& this is why we are now having to look at involuntary euthenasia ( no, it isn't a typo.) There are too many people alive . Places are overcrowded.

How do you know that Daniel? Are you qualified to make statements like that? It's a proven fact that you can get cancer from second hand smoke.
But all the emission controls put in place on petrol & diesel engines over the years were just for something to do I suppose ? It's a proven fact that particulates are carcinogenic along with the benzine that is now in gasoline. Added to remove lead by the way.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It's that time of the year again......How about another Stop-tober it has worked in the past, a month free of cigarette smoke you know you can do it. How difficult can it be.:(

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It's that time of the year again......How about another Stop-tober it has worked in the past, a month free of cigarette smoke you know you can do it. How difficult can it be.:(
Hmm! How can I explain this to a non-smoker, Oh! I know, tell you what, you hold your breath for a month and see how you get on? Me I chose to use an e-cig, it works for me :D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I can even smell rancid smoke when a car passes me with someone smoking. If I can smell it, I am inhaling it.
Your views interest me, as does your matter-of-fact way of answering questions. That I like, however, I do think your views are slightly narrow minded. :) You dislike the smell of all tobacco related products. That I can understand, and sympathise with. (y) What I'm really struggling with here is your single-minded view about smoke. Are you not aware that most carcinogenic substances that you are inhaling as you read this, are doing your respiratory system more harm then a whiff of someone's breath at 25 yards will ever do? How would you ever cope if you were actually able to smell all the crap that we breath in, all the time, 24/7? I think you would probably top yourself. :(
I personally hate the smell of second hand garlic. :sicker:, but hey, I put up with it, because life is give and take. I think that your paranoid approach to what your smelling, as opposed to what's really hurting you, is doing your head a disfavour. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Your views interest me, as does your matter-of-fact way of answering questions. That I like, however, I do think your views are slightly narrow minded. :) You dislike the smell of all tobacco related products. That I can understand, and sympathise with. (y) What I'm really struggling with here is your single-minded view about smoke. Are you not aware that most carcinogenic substances that you are inhaling as you read this, are doing your respiratory system more harm then a whiff of someone's breath at 25 yards will ever do? How would you ever cope if you were actually able to smell all the crap that we breath in, all the time, 24/7? I think you would probably top yourself. :(
I personally hate the smell of second hand garlic. :sicker:, but hey, I put up with it, because life is give and take. I think that your paranoid approach to what your smelling, as opposed to what's really hurting you, is doing your head a disfavour. (y)
I agree with everything that M1ke says. This is a smoking thread not garlic exhaust or any other copout subject. How could you possibly understand the sensitivity of anything but a smokers nose. Smoking will destroy both taste and smell of the user, that is a fact Mr T.

We can smell a discarded dog end from yards away. Sitting in traffic and someone throws a burning butt out of his window is the most thoughtless action for non smokers........Stinks.........wait until you give up, you will then understand.;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
wait until you give up, you will then understand.;)

so very true..

I never realised how bad the smell was until I quit..

like a previous poster, I can smell someone smoking in the High street long before they come into view.. and quite often never actually see them.. but the smell lingers long after they have left.

a life long smoker who once said he would never be able to quit.. if I can, anyone can..

all you need is to WANT to, more than anything else... no crutches,.. just stop..
if you can't quit it's because you haven't reached that point.. you don't want it badly enough.. but one day you will (hopefully before it's too late)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years

Yes I do dislike the smell of tobacco, but I really hate the fact that smokers act with such selfishness. They have been told time and again that smoking WILL kill them but also second hand smoke will kill their children and kill innocent people like me. I hate the fact that smokers flick their stinking cigarette butts out onto the street, on the road, onto beaches, playing fields, outside pubs and restaurants, and the really disgusting one's empty their ash trays at the traffic lights.

I'm sorry you find my replies matter of fact but to be honest I have heard all the same arguments that you have set out dozens of times by smokers who are in complete denial. I have been present at about 1000 post mortems and if you could see the lungs and organs of people who smoke you would never smoke again. If you want some good advice read ScotlandJimLand's final excellent and very accurate sentence.

Cheers Mike

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes I do dislike the smell of tobacco, but I really hate the fact that smokers act with such selfishness. They have been told time and again that smoking WILL kill them
Well, that's a smokers choice Mike, and not yours. You cant play 'protection police' because you don't like something.
They have been told time and again that smoking WILL kill them but also second hand smoke will kill their children and kill innocent people like me.
I think not, unless you were locked in an airtight room for 10 years with a guy smoking 50 a day.
I hate the fact that smokers flick their stinking cigarette butts out onto the street, on the road, onto beaches, playing fields, outside pubs and restaurants, and the really disgusting one's empty their ash trays at the traffic lights.
I fully agree and concur.
I'm sorry you find my replies matter of fact but to be honest I have heard all the same arguments that you have set out dozens of times by smokers who are in complete denial. I have been present at about 1000 post mortems and if you could see the lungs and organs of people who smoke you would never smoke again. If you want some good advice read ScotlandJimLand's final excellent and very accurate sentence.
I'm not in 'complete denial', as you put it, I'm just exercising my legal freedom of choice, and paying for that choice by paying huge taxation. And, I'm not 'arguing' about any falsely perceived benefits of smoking, I'm just Joe Normal pursuing my life as I want to, and yes, I have seen plenty of organs, mostly spread across streets and up the walls of buildings, so no 'shock horror' there, I'm afraid. My 'good advice' comes from my own body, and how it feels, not some half digested comment on a motorhome site.
My latest scan (for the after effects of bowel cancer), shows my lungs to be shadow clear. I will go with the machine, and not the man.
Please tell me, (if you will), do you drink, jog, cross the road without fully checking both ways, drive a car, ride a motorbike, fly a plane? Or maybe you climb mountains, scuba dive, para-glide, enjoy a microlight, swim, cycle, work out in a gym........All pleasurable activities, and all destined to kill you by pure chance, just as smoking may.
Lets ban everything! What a great life we would all enjoy......not.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Smoke? or not smoke?

You're still gonna die:cool:

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Depends what stance the insurance companies take so if your van caught fire you might not get a penny if you have smoked in your van!
I don't smoke this don't effect me!
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back