Smoking in motorhomes: new law October 2015 (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My Brother used to work at Courtaulds in Coventry. They used to make the material that makes up the filters in cigarettes. He said there are more harmful chemicals in the filters than the cigarette
It worried him so much, he started smoking roll ups.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My Brother used to work at Courtaulds in Coventry. They used to make the material that makes up the filters in cigarettes. He said there are more harmful chemicals in the filters than the cigarette
It worried him so much, he started smoking roll ups.
I think that's true. I was told that the saltpetre they soak normal 'tailor made' cig paper in, (to make them stay lit), is five times more harmful then the tobacco.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
In this day and age do parents still smoke in cars with their kids present? I would hope a law wasn't needed to outlaw this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
One of the worst things you can do to devalue a motorhome is smoke or vape inside. You just cant ever completely clean it and it will always stink
Very true, which is why I have never done either activity in any of my vehicles.

In this day and age do parents still smoke in cars with their kids present? I would hope a law wasn't needed to outlaw this.
I very much doubt there are any responsible parents who smoke in cars with their their kids present. Those who do, are neither responsible, or bothered about the new law.
Being an old cynic, I would suggest that the new law was more to do with pacifying the anti smoking lobby, rather than to have a positive health impact. It is going to largely impossible to police, since there aren't enough police to enforce the basic rules of the road traffic act, let alone deal with people smoking.
Then we have to consider the fact that many cars have tinted rear windows, coupled with the fact that a child sits quite low in the vehicle, making it impossible to see them from the outside. My daughters car seat for example has side impact protection, which means that even though you can see there is a child seat, you can't see if she is in it from the outside.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Place the law right up there with the fone one ( my personal hate as a biker, people using a fone when driving )

Its just something else to fill the law books with

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Funny, but every time a child breathes in second-hand air, they breath in thousands of chemicals, mostly from vehicle exhaust's, coal fired power stations, Selafield, chemical companies which emit 24/7, and lots of other stuff. Lets BAN THE WORLD! Then, our children will be safe! :Eeek:
Look at it this way Mr T....none of us can do without electricity vehicles or cows but every one of us would be much better off without smoking. No contest......(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On a French aire we had a neighbour who chain smoked outside behind her van, not caring that it was blowing into our van through open door and windows.. :mad:

I know ex smokers are the worst for complaining about others smoking, and I'm no exception, but it took me years to quit..
Now two years on, I hate the smell of it.. non smokers should not need to suffer from others smoking.. so please, smoke inside your van.. keep it to yourself..

Same goes for smoking in the street, beach, park .. or any other public place..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
On a French aire we had a neighbour who chain smoked outside behind her van, not caring that it was blowing into our van through open door and windows.. :mad:

I know ex smokers are the worst for complaining about others smoking, and I'm no exception, but it took me years to quit..
Now two years on, I hate the smell of it.. non smokers should not need to suffer from others smoking.. so please, smoke inside your van.. keep it to yourself..

Same goes for smoking in the street, beach, park .. or any other public place..
Not totally correct Jim I have never had a cigarette in my life yet I feel as anti passive smoking as anyone. What sort of individual stubs out and leaves their butt on a sandy beach where kids are playing. Smokers have no awareness or conscious of others who don't smoke.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Smokers have no awareness or conscious of others who don't smoke

So you just described millions of people who you haven't met or spoken to.

I expect you are just as bigotted about other characteristics as you are about smoking.

Please don't feel I am being personal but if you spent less time judging people you know nothing about perhaps you would have more time to do things you enjoy and you would be a little happier.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Look at it this way Mr T....none of us can do without electricity vehicles or cows but every one of us would be much better off without smoking. No contest......(y)
Once again, Mr B, yet another post that just deals with the 'effect', and not the 'cause'. Cause and effect, two small words that shape all our lives. How easy we humans find it to just look at the effect, without for one moment considering the cause. :(
Why do people smoke should be your question. I cant answer for anyone but myself, so I will do just that.
Back in the early 60's, when life was SO different, and I had been subject to a difficult time in a children's home, my doctor, (who also smoked, in fact, most doctors smoked during their consultations, strange and unthinkable now, in this modern age), advised me to start smoking, in order to 'calm my nerves'. And so I took his advice. Almost everyone smoked in those days, it was an affordable pleasure, in a world still bereft of pleasures, before the Clean Air Act, and where every winter, (if you lived in an industrial area), a thick green smog came to stay for a week. Life's values were also different, the clatter of mill workers clogs still rattled on the cobbles outside your house.
But you see, when you start smoking, it isn't easy to stop, and when it dosent matter, well hey, you just keep smoking, which I did. And then, when my nerves were fraught some years later, in Army service, well, the cigarette became a prop, even a lifeline to sanity. Sound strange to you?? I wrote this years ago, maybe it explains my thinking:-

My little Friend

I met my friend when I was twelve, but he was others friend as well.

At first we didn’t hit it off, because he had this awful smell,

But pretty soon we got quite close, although my mother disagreed.

She knew his dad, and they got on, but she saw him as just a weed.

Our friendship grew, and it wasn’t long before he always stayed with me.

In fact I missed him more and more, when I couldn’t pay for him to see.

I was a loner, as a youth, without really another mate,

My step dad warned against my friend, said ditch him before it gets to late.

But I hung on.

Because I got to need this friend, when things got bad he’d just be there,

And I felt better for his help, he calmed me down, and that was rare!

And so together we joined up, to fight for Queen and Country too,

We trained together, learnt the ropes, and he was there to see me through,

The other guys had friends like me, so when we went across the sea

To Erins land,

And things got tough, and nerves were fraught, my friend stood stag and backed me up.

When others died before my eyes, my nervous fingers held my mate, and made him shake.

Because I couldn’t take it in, this bloody rage that others had,

I took my friend to share with me my secret sobs and tears so bad.

Until at last my taught mind broke, my senses gone, my mind a wreck.

I used my friend to calm my fears, and put my feet back on the deck.

Without him there I know for sure that I would really be,

Secured in some old mental home, without my sanity.

Since then the years have passed us by, and yes, my friend is still close by.

The other week my doctor said, “please get this message in your head.

You cant go on the way you are, your lungs are bad, you’ll soon be dead.”

So now I have to make my choice, do I desert my loyal mate?

Send him away ‘afore it’s to late?

Or do I keep him and not fret,

My little friend, the Cigarette.

Dave Parkinson 2002.

And so, cause and effect. Try considering this when you (and others) have another 'pop' at smokers. (y)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Right then, shall we have a go at the drinkers now, that's the people addicted to alcohol (not many people will admit to that one)?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If its any consolation, your my favourite Troll on here, & I always have a giggle at your posts, it makes me feel strangely smug & superior.

Best wishes...Robert x
Troll ??? You obviously have no idea of the meaning of the word.
Your post, is the post of a troll.Designed to wind up others.

Yes & if they cut down the traffic jams/shutting road because there has been an accident etc; there'd be less of it.

It is going to largely impossible to police, since there aren't enough police to enforce the basic rules of the road traffic act, let alone deal with people smoking.

News to me ? That is the only place I saw any when I was over , on the roads.

Right then, shall we have a go at the drinkers now, that's the people addicted to alcohol (not many people will admit to that one)?
What about the overweight ? :(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

True.... there are a lot of drinkers in denial ...

but I'll go first... a recovering alcoholic... staying sober, one day at a time.. :)

it's very hard to admit to an addiction..(any addiction) but it's the first step to recovery..

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Smokers have no awareness or conscious of others who don't smoke.

So you just described millions of people who you haven't met or spoken to.

This is a fairly common logical fallacy employed in forum debates @mjltigger, best described as a strawman, or the construction of one (the closure of which I am sure will come soon). Ascribing an entire group based upon the observed actions of a few members of that group, that's another logical fallacy. For example:
I know a bloke who got done for drink driving, therefore all drivers drink.
Or
I saw a cyclist go through a red traffic light, therefore all cyclists jump red lights.
Or
I saw a dog owner not pick up after his dog, therefore all dog owners fail to clean up after their dogs.

All of the above fall into the same logical fallacy, and really don't hold up to scrutiny, but they sound compelling!

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Smokers have no awareness or conscious of others who don't smoke.

That's a very interesting statement and one that I have to agree with. You see, when smoke comes out of a smokers mouth they have no care in the world where that smoke drifts to, nor do I believe they realise how far that smoke drifts, how much it smells, and how much non smokers hate it. I can even smell rancid smoke when a car passes me with someone smoking. If I can smell it, I am inhaling it. The person in the car has no awareness or is conscious of others who don't smoke.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
That's a very interesting statement and one that I have to agree with. You see, when smoke comes out of a smokers mouth they have no care in the world where that smoke drifts to, nor do I believe they realise how far that smoke drifts, how much it smells, and how much non smokers hate it. I can even smell rancid smoke when a car passes me with someone smoking. If I can smell it, I am inhaling it. The person in the car has no awareness or is conscious of others who don't smoke.

Same as your Exhaust Emissions, Farts, Garlic breath, cooking smells etc,etc..........Jeeze!!! Lighten up a
all you "goody two shoes"

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Makes you wonder how us humans have survived for so long, when I was a kid we had coal fires,nearly all adults smoked,factories chucked out smoke, the one consultation was we had very few vehicles as no-one could afford them,( probably that what saved us)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You see, when smoke comes out of a smokers mouth they have no care in the world where that smoke drifts to, nor do I believe they realise how far that smoke drifts, how much it smells, and how much non smokers hate it.
Well, thank The Good Lord that you never lived next to a steam engine shed, nor a coal fired power station, or even the Gallaghers Factory. You wouldn't have got passed age 2. :)
I can even smell rancid smoke when a car passes me with someone smoking.
NONSENSE!! What if they have the windows closed?? :rofl: You'll be saying next that you can track down escaped prisoners who smoke. :clap2:

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Same as your Exhaust Emissions, Farts, Garlic breath, cooking smells etc,etc..........Jeeze!!! Lighten up a
all you "goody two shoes"

Yes but you don't get cancer from Farts, Garlic breath and cooking smells. VW says "De Exhaust emissions is gut"

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Well, thank The Good Lord that you never lived next to a steam engine shed, nor a coal fired power station, or even the Gallaghers Factory. You wouldn't have got passed age 2. :)

NONSENSE!! What if they have the windows closed?? :rofl: You'll be saying next that you can track down escaped prisoners who smoke. :clap2:

Smokers are always in denial too. By the way I can smell a smoker from about 25 yards. Regardless of how much perfume they spray on themselves or however many chewing gums they chew.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Makes you wonder how us humans have survived for so long, when I was a kid we had coal fires,nearly all adults smoked,factories chucked out smoke, the one consultation was we had very few vehicles as no-one could afford them,( probably that what saved us)

Our life expectancy is far higher now.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes but you don't get cancer from Farts, Garlic breath and cooking smells. VW says "De Exhaust emissions is gut"
Neither can you from the passing whiff of a car with someone smoking, you could however from the exhaust fumes of said passing car. The concentration of exhaust gas would be much higher than any secondary smoke!

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Neither can you from the passing whiff of a car with someone smoking, you could however from the exhaust fumes of said passing car. The concentration of exhaust gas would be much higher than any secondary smoke!

How do you know that Daniel? Are you qualified to make statements like that? It's a proven fact that you can get cancer from second hand smoke.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How do you know that Daniel? Are you qualified to make statements like that? It's a proven fact that you can get cancer from second hand smoke.
From a passing motor vehicle, I challenge you to provide me with any evidence of secondary smoke from passing motor vehicles being cited as cause of death.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
By the way I only used the passing car as an example. Would you like me to give more examples of being endured to breathing in pre digested nicotine? Why do you think this law is being implemented?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
By the way I only used the passing car as an example. Would you like me to give more examples of being endured to breathing in pre digested nicotine?
No because you cited a specific scenario, therefore that is what we are discussing.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
No because you cited a specific scenario, therefore that is what we are discussing.
I gave you an example of how non smokers can smell smokers regardless of the circumstances.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back