SMEV Oven door

Nov 22, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
3 years
I seem to be unusual in that my SMEV oven is working just fine. However it isn't ideal.

In our Rimor 87 Europeo, we have a Dometic Fridge Freezer fitted at the factory and a dealer fit SMEV/Dometic oven on top of it. The accompanying manual suggests that it could be one of 21 different models. I can't tell what model it is , but it has a grill, electric ignition and a door that opens downwards.

We need to use the oven because of two ASD children who generally eat the same sort of things for every meal.

Problem is with the downward opening door, I regularly burn myself on the oven door trying to put food in or out. I'm 6' but Mrs DDJC is only 5'3", so she can't even reach into it.

What I would like ask for help with is:
  • How do I identify the model number? (see pics) Is there a list of models and features?
  • Can the oven door on this models be inverted so it opens upwards?
  • If not, does anyone know of an oven of the same size, with and upward door, and a grill?
  • If not, can anyone suggest a way of BBQing oven chips, frozen Yorkshire puds and breaded chicken?!
20190424_173552.jpg 20190424_173912.jpg Thanks very much!

OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
3 years
It seems that I am the only one to have ever suggested doing this!

Anyway, I still think that it is a problem insofar that although 6', I still burn my forearms on the hot oven door, because you have to reach over and around the open door to access the oven.

So, I am offering an update to the problem and my efforts to find a solution.

It's about changing a top opening door on a SMEV/Dometic FO300 type oven with a door that opens to the right. Of course, I could get a service centre to rip out the existing oven & replace with a new side opening model, but this costs about a grand with all the pie fitting.

So the door. At the motorhome's last habitation service, I asked the very helpful guys at Johns Cross whether it was do-able. They said that they had never done it and had no contacts to get the parts.

I spent about a month on the internet and found two exploded diagrams of the same oven, but with different doors. Curiously, most of the parts had the same part number. In fact, only two were different

The Johns Cross guys cautiously agreed that it looked do-able. So I am ordering the two parts tomorrow. Lead time is 4-8 weeks, so we will wait and see.

This could mean a potential saving of over £500. That's a lot of wine...

West Country Motorhomes
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Johns Cross