SMEV Oven door (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I seem to be unusual in that my SMEV oven is working just fine. However it isn't ideal.

In our Rimor 87 Europeo, we have a Dometic Fridge Freezer fitted at the factory and a dealer fit SMEV/Dometic oven on top of it. The accompanying manual suggests that it could be one of 21 different models. I can't tell what model it is , but it has a grill, electric ignition and a door that opens downwards.

We need to use the oven because of two ASD children who generally eat the same sort of things for every meal.

Problem is with the downward opening door, I regularly burn myself on the oven door trying to put food in or out. I'm 6' but Mrs DDJC is only 5'3", so she can't even reach into it.

What I would like ask for help with is:
  • How do I identify the model number? (see pics) Is there a list of models and features?
  • Can the oven door on this models be inverted so it opens upwards?
  • If not, does anyone know of an oven of the same size, with and upward door, and a grill?
  • If not, can anyone suggest a way of BBQing oven chips, frozen Yorkshire puds and breaded chicken?!
20190424_173552.jpg
20190424_173912.jpg
Thanks very much!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
It seems that I am the only one to have ever suggested doing this!

Anyway, I still think that it is a problem insofar that although 6', I still burn my forearms on the hot oven door, because you have to reach over and around the open door to access the oven.

So, I am offering an update to the problem and my efforts to find a solution.

It's about changing a top opening door on a SMEV/Dometic FO300 type oven with a door that opens to the right. Of course, I could get a service centre to rip out the existing oven & replace with a new side opening model, but this costs about a grand with all the pie fitting.

So the door. At the motorhome's last habitation service, I asked the very helpful guys at Johns Cross whether it was do-able. They said that they had never done it and had no contacts to get the parts.

I spent about a month on the internet and found two exploded diagrams of the same oven, but with different doors. Curiously, most of the parts had the same part number. In fact, only two were different

The Johns Cross guys cautiously agreed that it looked do-able. So I am ordering the two parts tomorrow. Lead time is 4-8 weeks, so we will wait and see.

This could mean a potential saving of over £500. That's a lot of wine...

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I know that I am the only one here and am talking to myself ( ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ) but I have come to a disappointing conclusion (Have you? Yes I have. Why? Oh, its a bit niche. Do tell. OK, if I insist.)

Well you can change the downward opening door to a side opening door. I have the door, and the door hinge assembly and the ally frame. However, I didn't need a new frame. The part that you need is the inner boxy bit of the oven which is where the door hinge bolts on to, and it is expensive. If you add the cost of the parts together, and the labour involved (it is way beyond my simple skills) it is actually a few quid cheaper to whip it out, put in a new Thetford 525 (lift up door) and then ebay the entire old oven.

Sad for me - it would have been an elegant solution, but wallet wins.

So anyone want an 18 month used, but pristine condition SMEV FG300 series oven/grill? Buyer collects, obv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The downward opening door works fine when the oven is mounted below a worktop, upwards or sideways opening would be very inconvenient in my motorhome. Perhaps the motorhome constructor is to blame for fitting an oven with an inappropriate door for the location they have chosen.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We used to have one of those in our last Motorhome and it was mounted right up against the ceiling. I was the only one who could use it, my wife burnt herself every time she tried. I could not find a way to change it.

By the look of it you have the curved faced Dometic fridge and freezer. If that is the case Dometic make an oven (with or without a grill) with a matching glass front face. The door on that opens upwards and is therefore much easier to use. We have the complete unit, called a Tec Tower, in our present motorhome and it is much easier to use. Despite appearances the oven and/fridge freezer are separate units, so if you can find an oven on sale it should be possible to fit it.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
We used to have one of those in our last Motorhome and it was mounted right up against the ceiling. I was the only one who could use it, my wife burnt herself every time she tried. I could not find a way to change it.

By the look of it you have the curved faced Dometic fridge and freezer. If that is the case Dometic make an oven (with or without a grill) with a matching glass front face.

Same problem. Well, I know it can be changed, I have the part numbers. But as I said, it is cheaper to replace.

The fridge freezer is flat fronted, but aesthetics are less of an issue compared against the risk of self-immolation every time I use the oven. I didn't know Dometic did an upward opening oven. I'll look out for it. Thanks!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you do switch ovens I may be very interested in the one you remove

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
if you do switch ovens I may be very interested in the one you remove
Dorset to Kent is a long way, just for an oven!! I could look at how much it would cost to cart it down that way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back