Smarty SIM in MiFi - Need to activate roaming? (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We are off through France and Spain soon, so after research on here and the web, we have purchased a Smarty data SIM for our Huawei MiFi. When we activated the SIM through the Smarty site (all very easy), it then says you need to activate international roaming and says:-

"Set up your phone before travelling abroad
Your SMARTY SIM will not work abroad unless you make a one-off change to your phone settings. We’ve created a step-by-step guide to easily set up your phone."

Is this something we need to do? If so, does anyone know how? Or have other people found it works fine overseas in their MiFi without any additional steps?

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I'm happy to do it, but unfortunately their instructions don't include what to do on a MiFi, only various phones. I've been into the setting on the MiFi and can't see any options that look like the ones I see on my iPhone for instance. So it's more a case of not knowing what to do and if I need to do it. I've sent a message to their support but got no response, so was hoping someone on MH Fun might have experience.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you dont activate the sim in the uk then and set it up you will not get the roaming benefits.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm happy to do it, but unfortunately their instructions don't include what to do on a MiFi, only various phones. I've been into the setting on the MiFi and can't see any options that look like the ones I see on my iPhone for instance. So it's more a case of not knowing what to do and if I need to do it. I've sent a message to their support but got no response, so was hoping someone on MH Fun might have experience.
if you cant get it sorted in the mifi stick it in your phone and activate it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't put the sim on my iPhone as that takes the micro size and would mean the sim would then not fit the MiFi after. Think I'm going to have to persevere with the MiFi.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You need a friend with a phone that has the same size Sim. Put the Sim in that (temp) and then transfer it to the MiFi Surely???

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The Smarty card we have fitted in our Huawei mifi worked fine throughout Europe after initially activating the sim card through the Smarty site.

Pete

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What make of MiFi is it...?
I have a Huawei and there is an app available which allows you to make changes to the settings.

You can get [cheap] sim adapters which could be used to make the SIM the correct size.

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
The Smarty card we have fitted in our Huawei mifi worked fine throughout Europe after initially activating the sim card through the Smarty site.

Pete

Thank you Pete. I'm encouraged by that. It probably explains why they don't mention MiFi as a device on the roaming set-up page. We've activate the SIM without problem, so are probably all set to go. Meanwhile, Smarty support may come back and confirm.

David

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It appears that what you need to do is change the APN (Access Point Name). You can do this on your device using the Huawei app (click the settings cog, then network, APN, and so on)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't put the sim on my iPhone as that takes the micro size and would mean the sim would then not fit the MiFi after. Think I'm going to have to persevere with the MiFi.

Break it out and put it in your iphone. After it is set up, put it back from whence it came and into the MiFi. Once in there, it will be fine, the battery keeps it in place. :emo:

Or if you really must, buy one of these. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=153213264826 :doh:

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
What make of MiFi is it...?
I have a Huawei and there is an app available which allows you to make changes to the settings.

You can get [cheap] sim adapters which could be used to make the SIM the correct size.

It's a Huawei E5776s-32. Had it a couple of years but still works well. I've accessed the setting via a web browser. Roaming is turned on the device. So it's just down to ensuring the Smarty SIM is activated for roaming.

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
It appears that what you need to do is change the APN (Access Point Name). You can do this on your device using the Huawei app (click the settings cog, then network, APN, and so on)

Brilliant. Found that setting. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Thanks everyone. As suggested, we entered the new APN name by creating a new profile via admin on the MiFi. Having applied the new profile, everything seems to be working fine with the new APN name. I'm online via the MiFi with these new settings, typing this explanation and thank you.

Thanks again.

May 18, 2019
Funster No
It looks like you have activated the sim.... sims come from various companies. These companies piggy back from about 4 major network provider companies.... Bt/Vodafone etc.
if you have a phone number or ref number for the sim and you will have, go onto the smarty website or whatever you called it log in again.... go into the settings section and look for and activate the roaming.

Like has been stated already,
These companies started recently and i have virgin 100gb per month which piggy backs and my Vodafone for my iPhone which is an actual provider. Both my phone and mobile router allows countries in Europe to use your allocated data as though you were at home.. Spain France Germany... all those common EU Countries are covered..

Just a thought ....
You may not be able to find the settings if the data allocation for Europe is counted as though at home.
So check what the company state. On my iPhone for example i receive texts telling me about free roaming.
..... if in doubt you can always use an iPhone or something as your hotspot...
hope this helps

OP
OP
TizzyOnTour
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
It looks like you have activated the sim.... sims come from various companies. These companies piggy back from about 4 major network provider companies.... Bt/Vodafone etc.
if you have a phone number or ref number for the sim and you will have, go onto the smarty website or whatever you called it log in again.... go into the settings section and look for and activate the roaming.

Like has been stated already,
These companies started recently and i have virgin 100gb per month which piggy backs and my Vodafone for my iPhone which is an actual provider. Both my phone and mobile router allows countries in Europe to use your allocated data as though you were at home.. Spain France Germany... all those common EU Countries are covered..

Just a thought ....
You may not be able to find the settings if the data allocation for Europe is counted as though at home.
So check what the company state. On my iPhone for example i receive texts telling me about free roaming.
..... if in doubt you can always use an iPhone or something as your hotspot...
hope this helps

Thank you. Your explanation is very helpful. Having always been with one of the "big players", EE, Vodafone, etc. until now, I've got used to getting everything set-up easily through their web site.

Every day is a school day....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back