Smarten up a Ducato (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
This isn't very Christmasy but I could ask Santa for the product if a good suggestion is forthcoming.

A Ducato has a dark grey section of bodywork on the front corners, round the headlights, which loose their "luster" and become lighter coloured and blotchy as they age. I have tried to return them to their original colour by applying bumper trim wax, but it doesn't last. I have seen a review that raves about Wurth Plast PT Grey but at £39.99 it seems expensive.

Does does any
one have experience of using this product or can suggest an alternative that works?

Thanks in advance for anybody who can drag themselves away from the festive preparations or indulgence to post a reply.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£10 cheaper on flea bay, it's what I call the trades four court treatments great short term results BUT
there is no such thing as a wax me once and forget me for life product is there?
Charlie will be the first to admit keeping a vehicle looking good is a hobby full time or part time, you can make it it as easy or hard as you like
but if you dont make it regular it wont last
How long is your "Last" every one's differs me thinks

OP
OP
dochiley
Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
Yep, I found it on Ebay after I posted initially. Thanks for confirming what I sort of realised. Have a good 2017

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not sure if it's the same stuff but I did have some Wurth stuff that was in a tube, which was more like a paint. I have used it (it comes in black too) when I have a bumper that some numpty has used a heat gun on, the Wurth stuff brings the colour back but like I said it's more of a paint than a polish.

Reactions: f6c
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
Just spent Christmas hols striping bumper off and colour codeing
I hate black plastic.
Also put some bling on grill.
Also some other work which I will put in base model
Section.
And a happy new year to everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 16

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
LOOSE WHEEL said:
Just spent Christmas hols striping bumper off and colour codeing
I hate black plastic.

Nice job. What did you do to prep & paint the bumper? My van has a grey bumper, which is the original black Fiat one painted by the converters to match the skirt on the Hab body, but the paint has gone very bleached in the sun - well past the point of no return, it needs repainting. The paint has flaked in a couple of places as well.

2 bodyshops have quoted around £250 to respray it, was contemplating having a go at it myself - local paint suppliers have a spectro-wotsit colour analyser and will fill aerosols with colour matched paint, even though I have a compressor this seems a much easier way to go. Just debating if it's worth all the hassle and if I'll get a decent finish though.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Started with wash down with thinners to remove silicon,then 400 wet and dry, then a primer for plastic bumpers (pro plastic grip ).
Four coats of standard thinner based primer. Light 400grit rub down.
I,v used half liter of two pack plus thinners.
This will give you a good 5-6 coats with a little to spare for touch up.
I use two pack because its really sticky and I,m a bit inpatient so it's suits my style.
Don.t forget once you mix two pack you've got to use it.
Have a go if it goes wrong or you get runs you can flat it off and all this won.t even cost you £80
And you get so much satisfaction :smiley:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I maybe mistaken but I thought twin pack is extremely toxic and requires outside air supply, if so hardly DIY

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
I ware a good spraying mask and well venterlated garage.
Or outside in summer. And rarely do it anyway.

So if I do a risk assessment there's little or no risk :rofl: the health and safety man at work would love that.
Andy

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
2 bodyshops have quoted around £250 to respray it, was contemplating having a go at it myself - local paint suppliers have a spectro-wotsit colour analyser and will fill aerosols with colour matched paint, even though I have a compressor this seems a much easier way to go. Just debating if it's worth all the hassle and if I'll get a decent finish though.

Might be a bit too far for you, but I can recommend these people as doing a good job at a very competitive price ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back