obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
To be fair I have never owned a PVC, or indeed any vehicle that has a sliding door, so I apologise for my lack of knowledge.
My question is, in the operating/users instructions for said van, does it state that the sliding door must be opened and shut at least 50 times a day, (especially at night and very early in the morning), or the warranty becomes meaningless.
On numerous occasions I have imagined the conversation in the van to be something like :-

"Oh husband of mine, have you opened and closed the sliding door several times before coming to bed?
"Of course I have hunny bunny. I checked 5 times between 10pm and 11pm and 3 times before 12"
"OK pudding pops, but could you do it one more time just to check"
"You are a silly billy, but I will open and close it one more time, even though it's well gone midnight"
"Oh, you are a lovely kitten cake. When we leave at 5 in the morning you must promise me to open and close that wonderful sliding door lots of times to make sure it's closed now won't you"
"You know I will you big tease. Now let me read the latest edition of the 10 noisiest portable generators you bought me for my birthday"

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
This made me smile, I'm the only van on a CS at the moment. Last night a pvc pulled on with the obligatory slide bang until eleven thirty. I thought I'll teach them a lesson in the morning, how wrong I was, they left at 06.00 with many more slide bangs.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It can be a problem as if the door is not completely closed it can't be locked from the inside, and I like to have to doors locked at night against gassers, asylum seekers or thieves. I try to limit the sliding of the door but it never occurs to my partner, I have to tell him off! And send him to the back door which is not nearly so noisy. So apologies and everyone should be as considerate as poss.

Deleted User
We have a PVC and are aware of the problem, it is necessary to slam the sliding door in order to lock it, it is not necessary to slam it every time which is what we do(don't?) ....I think you will get the drift, a little consideration but sometimes it is necessary to slam and sometimes more than once if it won't lock the first time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
No need to bang a sliding door that is fitted with 'power latching' and most modern ones have nylon rollers so the sliding action is reasonably quite!

Sorry I don't have power latching on mine :whistle:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We try to be considerate with our sliding door, trying not to use it after 10pm.

One tip that can reduce the force required to shut the door properly, is to have a window or rooflight open. It's all to do with air pressure.

When closing the sliding door from outside, I often open the cab door first, which can then be closed much more quietly.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Slidey door vans = Work of the Devil!

We always groan when one pulls up beside us.
Mind you, I have to say some folk can be very quiet but the 'slammers' are a royal pain in the a$$.

Richard.
53989484-stock-vector-emoticon-covering-his-mouth-with-hands.jpg

;) We like to make sure it's shut. (y) :LOL: Bob

Reactions: JJ
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I had a Burstner coachbuilt van once and that door had to be really slammed to close it.
I close my pvc sliding door as quietly as I can but just in case no one has heard it I repeat the process 5 or 6 times to make sure that everyone has heard it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I must admit we had to put up with my dad for years with his old VW camper slamming his door, our daughter has a VW camper and we are on our second PVC and love them, ;) but it doesn't stop people parking next to us. :LOL:
We have tried loud music, getting the dog to bark, ;)having a spanish van I suppose the next thing might be loads of kids toys outside and a screeming kids CD. :rofl:
Only Joking.:gum: Bob.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can buy an electronic closing mechanism but unfortunately it is quite bulky and gets in the way of the internal fittings.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I always wondered why panel van owners have to get up so early and yes they always slam the door.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My wee Mazda Bongo had a silent side door, the runners were extremely quiet when properly greased.
So closing the door was a case of sliding it until it reached the catch then the door closed itself in with a noise which was no louder than central locking on most cars. :dance2:

Fast forward a few years & our Sprinter PVC had a door that could waken the dead, so we only used that door during daylight hours. :swear2::swear2::whistle2:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It’s very easy to close it quietly when leaving the van as you can just push in the right hand side of the door until it clicks.
You can do the same from the inside if you fit a strap to the door and pull on that. It can be done by grasping the window frame but it is much harder to do it this way.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can do the same from the inside if you fit a strap to the door and pull on that. It can be done by grasping the window frame but it is much harder to do it this way.
Agreed, however the furniture in my van goes halfway across the door and is in the way, I have fitted a pull handle as far to the left as possible.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It really annoys me ;) when last thing at night, you come back in with the dog, give it an almighty slam, and it won't lock so you open it and try again and it's one of the back doors that not shut properly. :rolleyes: :rofl: Bob.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Soft lock?

More info please!

Is that something that can be retro fitted?
There is a company that supplies soft close kits
Sorry I don't have details to hand
The Globecar one is a factory fit
We have it and like it but some folk's find it a pain and have removed it
I think it's down to getting the adjustment correct .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No need to bang a sliding door that is fitted with 'power latching' and most modern ones have nylon rollers so the sliding action is reasonably quite!

Sorry I don't have power latching on mine :whistle:

Our Globecar has soft lock fitted to the sliding door and is reasonable quite when used.

John.

Of course it is all a matter of perception

I will bring along my genny and run that till midnight.... it is reasonably quiet :whistle: ;) :rofl:

( sorry.. VERY tongue in cheek, but I just could not resist !! :laughing: )

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We deliberately slam ours as many times as we can in the hope that we wake up any yappy dogs nearby. We particularly like it when they bark all day when their owners have left them shut in so that they can go out for a walk!!
I am lying of course she says from Villasol where there are no dogs and most people are getting on a bit so hopefully are a bit hearing impaired. Judging by some of the TV volumes I think that’s true.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
We try to be considerate with our sliding door, trying not to use it after 10pm.

One tip that can reduce the force required to shut the door properly, is to have a window or rooflight open. It's all to do with air pressure.

When closing the sliding door from outside, I often open the cab door first, which can then be closed much more quietly.

Slide...Bang...Bang?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To be fair I have never owned a PVC, or indeed any vehicle that has a sliding door, so I apologise for my lack of knowledge.
My question is, in the operating/users instructions for said van, does it state that the sliding door must be opened and shut at least 50 times a day, (especially at night and very early in the morning), or the warranty becomes meaningless.
On numerous occasions I have imagined the conversation in the van to be something like :-

"Oh husband of mine, have you opened and closed the sliding door several times before coming to bed?
"Of course I have hunny bunny. I checked 5 times between 10pm and 11pm and 3 times before 12"
"OK pudding pops, but could you do it one more time just to check"
"You are a silly billy, but I will open and close it one more time, even though it's well gone midnight"
"Oh, you are a lovely kitten cake. When we leave at 5 in the morning you must promise me to open and close that wonderful sliding door lots of times to make sure it's closed now won't you"
"You know I will you big tease. Now let me read the latest edition of the 10 noisiest portable generators you bought me for my birthday"

I didn't realize this.
Its a shame mine has soft close, I will remove it immediately and stay up for a week slamming it to catch up with missed slammings.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I never slam my door when the generator is running - best to save until later:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back