LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Hi. Has anyone investigated or signed up for Sky Stream? Seems to be competition for the Firestick, using wifi. You can get all the Sky packages, plus others but included in the guide, not having to change between apps. It also includes the Freeview channels which you can record.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
They are charging a set up fee even though you set up the box yourself at home , a fee is charged to skip through adverts , the box is linked to your address ( the box knows it’s location ) , there are no recordings , all content is streamed , Wi-Fi goes down = no telly , not for me , I’ll stick with SkyQ ta .

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
I am a Sky Q user but Sky Stream does appear to "stack up" according to this 5 star review from What Hifi. You own this little box rather than renting the Sky Q box, hence the initial fee. And instead of recording something you can archive it on the Sky servers via a playlist so you can watch it at any time. It's a different but maybe more modern approach to TV viewing.

What Hifi

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Further to my post above and PaddyM point about the box knowing its location, then I assume that in Europe for example Sky Go with a VPN might be a better option than Sky Stream.

We haven't been abroad since July 19 because we are still waiting for our new van after stupidly part exchanging the previous van at the point of ordering. So no expert on this subject.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Further to my post above and @PaddyM point about the box knowing its location, then I assume that in Europe for example Sky Go with a VPN might be a better option than Sky Stream.
The problem with sky go is you can only watch it on a television via a laptop or desktop pc, and they have to have a decent enough graphics card to be able to get smooth motion display. I have a sky hd box and satellite dish on my motorhome but if i'm parked up somewhere where I can't get a satellite lock then I have to watch sky go on a tablet.
Edit: you can also watch on a TV via a PlayStation or X box but then you have to subscribe to sky go plus, at extra cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am a Sky Q user but Sky Stream does appear to "stack up" according to this 5 star review from What Hifi. You own this little box rather than renting the Sky Q box, hence the initial fee. And instead of recording something you can archive it on the Sky servers via a playlist so you can watch it at any time. It's a different but maybe more modern approach to TV viewing.

What Hifi
The trouble is that due to broadcasting rights not all the programmes remain on the servers but will always remain on your hard drive (SkyQ box ) , so you can’t watch at anytime , this move is to suit Sky not to suit the customer .
As to owning the streaming box , you own it at your address ( the box knows where it is and will only function at that address , the address you use for registration. )
I’m tech crazy and love gizmos and gadgets , im an avid gamer ( X Box S and PS5 ) but this move is backwards for the customer and just ties you into Sky’s vision of their preferred future and eco system .

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
The trouble is that due to broadcasting rights not all the programmes remain on the servers but will always remain on your hard drive (SkyQ box ) , so you can’t watch at anytime , this move is to suit Sky not to suit the customer .
As to owning the streaming box , you own it at your address ( the box knows where it is and will only function at that address , the address you use for registration. )
I’m tech crazy and love gizmos and gadgets , im an avid gamer ( X Box S and PS5 ) but this move is backwards for the customer and just ties you into Sky’s vision of their preferred future and eco system .
I assume this is still the case since this post was written? Ie can’t use sky stream in your Motorhome?
I used to take the old skybox with us and that worked fine, but SkyQ soon put paid to that. I had hoped SkyStream would allow it but sadly it seems not

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
I assume this is still the case since this post was written? Ie can’t use sky stream in your Motorhome?
I used to take the old skybox with us and that worked fine, but SkyQ soon put paid to that. I had hoped SkyStream would allow it but sadly it seems not
We have a firestick loaded up with IPTV. As long as you have an internet connection you're good to go. Oh, and a USB cable to charge the firestick from the tv if you're not hooked up and just on 12v.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You can take your SkyQ Box away with you but you will have to replace the LNB on your dish .
The Stream puck is now rented to you and not owned by you , you still can’t take the puck away with you though I’m yet to learn what happens if you do .
The whole system seems to be driving people down the “ illegal “ route .

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
We have a firestick loaded up with IPTV. As long as you have an internet connection you're good to go. Oh, and a USB cable to charge the firestick from the tv if you're not hooked up and just on 12v.
Can you get SkyGo in IPTV? Don’t you have to pay yet another subscription for IPTV?
We already have Netflix, Prime, Apple+, Paramount etc in the Firestick

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can you get SkyGo in IPTV? Don’t you have to pay yet another subscription for IPTV?
We already have Netflix, Prime, Apple+, Paramount etc in the Firestick
The IPTV mentioned is an illegal subscription. Usually about 50 per year and for that you get all channels and access to video on demand so all films and series.

I find it's great for live TV but I have other go-to apps for films and series.

You wouldn't need your Netflix etc subscriptions.

It is however illegal and although there is customer service to a certain degree you can never fully know if they will stick around or do a runner with everyones cash.

To be fair though I have been with my current supplier for 3 years and they have always been good. Can't fault the service or quality.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
They are charging a set up fee even though you set up the box yourself at home , a fee is charged to skip through adverts , the box is linked to your address ( the box knows it’s location ) , there are no recordings , all content is streamed , Wi-Fi goes down = no telly , not for me , I’ll stick with SkyQ ta .
If l understand correctly this means you cannot now put it in your MH or use abroad in your property if you have the need

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I don’t want to go over to the dark side. I just want to be able to watch the Sky service that I pay about a million pounds a year for, when I happen to be away in the uk in the MoHo

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Has anyone tried connecting a microsoft surface pro running skygo to a tv? As these are running windows 10/11 i'm wondering if skygo would see it as a pc and allow the display to tv, i've seen refurbished ones as cheap as £199 so it could be a solution for some if it works.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I don’t want to go over to the dark side. I just want to be able to watch the Sky service that I pay about a million pounds a year for, when I happen to be away in the uk in the MoHo
Agreed , I can see no valid reason why I can’t watch the service I’ve subscribed to when and where I want . Frustrating.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
cough: NOWTV is what we use. We use firesticks. It works at home, in the moho, at the (2) parents houses all on one subscription without them complaining yet (or I've not been caught). But with the above it does make it substantially cheaper than 3 subscriptions for sky! I would note both parents use mobile data not home (as they don't use enough to have a home contract), so it probably looks to Sky like it's me when not at home! NowTV can also be used with a VPN client on a firetv, and we have happily been watching the Cricket from a cruise ship before now (note it does not work on PHONES from Cruise ships, but via a FireTV or ipad it seems fine).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Has anyone tried connecting a microsoft surface pro running skygo to a tv? As these are running windows 10/11 i'm wondering if skygo would see it as a pc and allow the display to tv, i've seen refurbished ones as cheap as £199 so it could be a solution for some if it works.
Doesn't work, we tried it (in-laws had Go at the time) then switched to NOW as the NOW app DOES allow this, and many other devices too. (you need the "boost" package to allow more simultaneous views and 1080p streams).

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Is there yet any means of recording from Firestick?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
This works. I bought it about 3 years ago. Problem is as it is used infrequently it takes ages for windows to update every time I turn it on
Deal: NiPoGi Mini PC Windows 11 Pro, Intel Alder Lake-Ν95 (Beats N5095/N5105, up to 3.4GHz), 16GB RAM+512GB M.2 SSD Mini Computer Desktop, Support 2.5" SATA SSD, WiFi 5,Bluetooth4.2, Dual Displays https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C24GL3L3/?tag=mhf04-21

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Solved it ! Hurrah !
IMG_1330.jpeg

Maxview X
Apple 4K box
SkyGo app

Get in ! 😂
Sorry about the messy cables , only just set it up !

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Solved it ! Hurrah !
View attachment 800644

Maxview X
Apple 4K box
SkyGo app

Get in ! 😂
Sorry about the messy cables , only just set it up !
Great. Is there an official Skygo app for it or do you have to side load it?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
You don’t need multiroom to use SkyGo, just a Sky account

Apr 26, 2015