!*$$! Sky SIM (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just gearing up for using the mh next week. Fittted my newly aquired Sky Mobile SIM (you can have several for one account), rolled some of my "Piggybank" data onto it and fitted it in the MiFi unit. Connected to Avtex TV OK, no problem.
Then found that the TV, although connected to the MiFi would not connect to Freeview through wifi. Several expletives later and having talked to Avtex I found that Sky DO NOT allow their SIM cards to work in a MiFi unit.... ggrrrrr :devil:Tried my phone as a hotspot and of course it works (it did last year).
So why do SKY block use of their SIM cards in a MiFi unit??
I only got the extra SIM card to save me taking it out of my phone and putting it in the MiFI.
So it's back to Plan A - SMARTY SIM for £15 unlimited data (in the UK). But as we're not going out of the UK this year, it'll do! :LOL:

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I very much doubt sky block use of their sim in the unit, in fact i would be amazed if that were the case and suspect its the easy answer from Avtex. Just sounds like your apn settings are wrong to me

Try this

- Name: Sky Internet

- APN: mobile.sky

- Username & Password left empty

google "changing apn settings" if you dont know how to do it

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Great it works thanks BUT I can't view live ITV programmes on ITV Hub when signed in.

Any suggestions on how to activate live ITV viewing ?
BBC works correctly.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
My Smarty sim went in my mifi worked 1st time no changing any apn settings even if I knew where to find them... am I missing something here?

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
My Smarty sim went in my mifi worked 1st time no changing any apn settings even if I knew where to find them... am I missing something here?
No, my Smarty Sim also worked correctly no problem. To use a Sky Sim you have to alter the mifi ABN setting as described above (and I find in the Motorhome MiFi manual!). Sky Sim now works correctly so I have a choice of 2 sims.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Out of curiosity have you tried via VPN because I’m running mine via a Sky sim and I have no issues what so ever via my firestick and I watch everything.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Also as stated above their are no restrictions set in place via Sky so I would look at the app itself.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just gearing up for using the mh next week. Fittted my newly aquired Sky Mobile SIM (you can have several for one account), rolled some of my "Piggybank" data onto it and fitted it in the MiFi unit. Connected to Avtex TV OK, no problem.
Then found that the TV, although connected to the MiFi would not connect to Freeview through wifi. Several expletives later and having talked to Avtex I found that Sky DO NOT allow their SIM cards to work in a MiFi unit.... ggrrrrr :devil:Tried my phone as a hotspot and of course it works (it did last year).
So why do SKY block use of their SIM cards in a MiFi unit??
I only got the extra SIM card to save me taking it out of my phone and putting it in the MiFI.
So it's back to Plan A - SMARTY SIM for £15 unlimited data (in the UK). But as we're not going out of the UK this year, it'll do! :LOL:

Whilst this used to be common, I believe there was a court case that resulted in it being illegal to limit data for tethering or MiFi usage.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Out of curiosity have you tried via VPN because I’m running mine via a Sky sim and I have no issues what so ever via my firestick and I watch everything.
No I haven't because I'm using the Sky Sim on a Mifi linked to an Avtex TV with Freeview Play installed. I can get live ITV on ITV hub on my tablet (also running on a sky wifi but the option for"live tv" doesn't appear on Freeview Play only the catch up programmmes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst this used to be common, I believe there was a court case that resulted in it being illegal to limit data for tethering or MiFi usage.
I think it was change around April 2018 or there abouts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back