Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
From looking around, I'm getting the impression that Sky Q needs a particular type of LNB ( and perhaps a permanent internet connection) to work.

Looking at the Sky website they do not appear to be selling the Sky+ system anymore.

Can anyone confirm to me if Sky Q will work with the Oyster system or if Sky are still selling the Sky+ ?

I'd call Sky and ask about the Sky+ but don't want to get annoying calls form them for the next 20 years if I don't take out a subscription!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm by no means an expert, but I think Sky Q requires a wide band LNB or similar? I think there is also a hybrid LNB which enables you to receive both Sky and FTA broadcasts? Not sure if Sky Q will work without an internet connection though, that seems to be where Sky are heading...

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Sky Q requires a wideband LNB.
A hybrid LNB is required if you want to run SkyQ and "normal" satellite receivers at the same time.
SkyQ will work without an internet connection, but you will not be able to get any of the on demand features, and some EPG data may not be available.
SkyQ are SKys preferred box at the moment for new installs. If you ask they may get you a normal Sky+HD box, but they are making the move over to SkyQ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I got sky Q installed recently (Jan) then found out all off above so contacted them explaining my wish to use the box in the van, no problem sent the sky Q box back and now use the sky hd box I already had from a previous subscription

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
A Sky hybrid LNB will work with an Oyster system to allow the use of Sky Q however, the hybrid LNB is quite large. Because of this we would not recommend using it on a non Skew system as the LNB will make contact with the roof when the system is retracted. There are ways around this problem however I won't go into detail here. Please PM me if you would like advice with a non Skew Oyster.
Sky Q will also not work on Cytrac or Caro systems. This is because these systems are prime focus units using flange LNB's and so far I am yet to come across a flange hybrid LNB.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Thanks all, I think if I do decide to have Sky then my first instinct would be to go for the Sky+ system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back