Silverscreens on a Boxer (Ducato/Relay) - standard or long? (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a Silverscreen. I've read up about Silverscreens, Taylormade and Polar screens. Whilst they all look fine, most people seem to have the Silverscreens one. My sheep mentality helped decide to get a Silverscreens one, I just want what everybody else has.

We don't fancy black, as black absorbs heat (my van is silver). I don't fancy the privacy net, I just don't think that we want one.

But, standard or long? Being a 'more is better' kind of guy, I decided to get a long one. But then I read on one of these websites (and I now can't find it - doh!) said that under normal circumstances the short ones are all that's needed. Seeing as the long ones take more storage space and are heavier when wet, I'm leaning back toward the standard one.

Has anybody got any good logic to suggest that I should get a long one?
Drafts from the bonnet vents?
Does the standard length one keep all the light out?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have a two-piece. Screen cover and one that covers the bonnet.

The bonnet cover is to stop snow going into the drains, freezing and blocking them.

It's just a bit more to store but makes sense to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got Taylormade long screens (2ndhand from another Funster).
In very windy conditions I put a webbing strap (similar to an awning tie down) over the bottom edge and hook to the wheel arches. When opening the centre screen I just put the top edge under the strap as well. Couldn't do that with the short version.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I was advised on here to get long but Silverscreens advised short unless we were going to use van a lot in snow. They’re easier to handle and store. We got short and are delighted with them

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I've got Talormade and long ones. If it's been raining a good shake and they're nearly dry. The long ones cover the air vents but I don't think the extra couple of inches makes much difference to the bulk when packed up. After all they are only being stored when you are travelling.

OP
OP
N
Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks guys! (y)

I think I prefer the look to the longer ones, and as said - a couple more inches won't make much more difference when packed.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Got the Taylormade long ones for my Fiat Ducato PVC do what they say no condensation inside windscreen with minus temps in Aviemore the other night. Wee bit bulkier than my previous ones that were cheaper and thinner got condensation with them. Would recommend them i take it the silverscreens are of a similar quality.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I got Taylormade long ones nearly 7 years ago and they are still very good. It's important to cover up the vents on the bonnet area!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have Taylormade long ones (bought second hand on Ebay and like new), they cover the front vents and gap between the bonnet and windscreen too. Easy to fit and come with 2 elastic straps on the bottom of the centre section to hook over the front grill to keep them in place. Very, very quick to dry, compared to the Silverscreens ones we've had previously (possibly different material?), they are good quality and stop all condensation, even in very, very cold weather. We've had the shorter ones previously which worked okay but occasionally we'd get a bit of condensation at the very bottom of the screen.

There is a bit of 'sheep mentality' regarding Silverscreens as that's the more commonly known about ones, but from my own experience I much prefer the Taylormade ones.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I just bought a set of Taylormade screens. The main reason for my choice was simply that their website was much more user friendly than silverscreens !

OP
OP
N
Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Exp
I think I prefer the look to the longer ones, and as said - a couple more inches won't make much more difference when packed.
So, I rang to order one.

And they persuaded me to purchase a shorter one!

Easier to fit, they said.
Pack into a smaller area, they said.
Lighter, they said.
Dries easier, as they recommend putting them in the bag and standing it upside down (and the long ones fall over), they said.
Don't suppose it makes much difference either way really.

Unless they don't normally stock the long ones...

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So, I rang to order one.

Lighter, they said.
Dries easier, as they recommend putting them in the bag and standing it upside down (and the long ones fall over), they said.

Stick with it, you have made a good choice! We had (short) Silverscreens on our last van and in cold weather they make a fantastic difference. Apart from NO condensation, you will also find it more comfortable to sit in the front seats when they are turned around as NO cold draughts!

Enjoy! and say goodbye to Buyers Remorse (y)

(P.S. We want them on the new van, just not bought them yet;))

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
So, I rang to order one.

Lighter, they said.

So what did you go with Taylormade or Silver screens?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So, I rang to order one.

Lighter, they said.

Same conversation .... but I am very happy with them ...

... as for the sheep mentality comment ... I had similar number of recommendations for all products ...

if I’m going to be a sheep I’ll be a horned variety, please, and wayward .... our Shetlands were always pretty difficult ...

OP
OP
N
Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Exp
So what did you go with Taylormade or Silver screens?
Oh dear, how indecisive am I? long story (and quite revealing about me!), but none yet! It's a one-off purchase, and I'm fussy (oh, you noticed!).

To recap then, x290, and I've decided on (maybe!) long either Silverscreens or Taylormade. Reading on the forum, both get v good recommendations.

Silverscreens told me that they only started making long ones last year, and I think that it was in response to Taylormade's long ones. They fit a bit differently, and I think the Silverscreens ones fit much better. Also, the velcro joins are in a different position. But for a long one, Silverscreens are £239 vs Taylormade's £150! Different materials as well, I think.

These from the respective websites:

Silverscreens (best fit)
silverscreens.JPG

Taylormade (look around the headlights and windscreen pillars)
taylormade2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back