Should we travel abroad in the motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
If the Goverment change their "No Travel Advisory" for Spain we will be off, via Rosoff ASAP, down to our apartment in Southern Andalusia. A question for any insurance buffs, once over there, in Spain or France, can the insurance companies then void your insurance if the Government performs yet another U turn Travel Advisory and would they then expect you to turn tail and return back to the "safety" of Blighty?

Whereabouts in SA are you Chris as I am just North of Velez close to Lake Vinuela ?

One needs to read one`s particular contract to try to answer your insurance question and also have regard to the particular circumstance appertaining at the time. The answer to many contractual problems can normally be solved by asking oneself "What would the man on the Clapham Omnibus think or do ?"

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It’s a bit disappointing that, after more than six month’s experience of this virus, we still don’t seem to know how it spreads. If we understood how to stop the spread better, we might be able to travel without contributing to it. While we don’t, we need to remain cautious and behave in a way that reduces the possibility of spreading it further.

In my mind, the virus is spread by people (quite easily) and the impact can be significant. Whilst I’m not too bothered about dying, myself, I am concerned about the uncomfortable nature of that death and the possibility of giving it to others in the meantime.

I think that responsible people should not be moving about for pleasure. Sure, the risk can be reduced by remaining isolated, but total isolation is impossible. Movements should be reduced to essential purposes only (food, work, health, emergency services, …).

We may only be able to save the economy at the expense of hospitality and similar activities (holidays). Sadly, the relaxation seems to be greater where there is more political pressure rather than human need (maybe it’s fortunate for residents of this country that I have little influence).

If everyone reverted to mixing with others as freely as they’d like, I’m sure we would endure another costly spike. We could, perhaps, limit needless travel by rationing but it’s much more practical to stop it altogether. If the few who continue to travel about spread the message that it’s OK (they’ve not encountered a mis-hap) they will only encourage others to follow until it gets out of control again. I know it’s a difficult temptation to resist (all that investment deteriorating when it could be in use) but I believe we should be more focussed on the survival of mankind, then the workings of our economy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Whereabouts in SA are you Chris as I am just North of Velez close to Lake Vinuela ?

One needs to read one`s particular contract to try to answer your insurance question and also have regard to the particular circumstance appertaining at the time. The answer to many contractual problems can normally be solved by asking oneself "What would the man on the Clapham Omnibus think or do ?"

We’re down near Duquesa, we’d normally be down there every 6 weeks or so by plane for a couple of weeks then take a long 2-3 months in the summer with the van, so Covid has really spiked our guns!

I know what you mean about the contract but these current circumstances are a bit “unusual” and not likely to be specifically covered, I’m loath to ask the insurance company as it will be very easy for them to say “No, not covered!“ before we go, I would hope their attitude would be differen if we were already there!

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
hi.we have been in France for just over a month, No trouble We have used Aires all along Normandy not many English ,site’s are quite full arrive mornings only,Every think has been fine but very hot , Audrey And Michael

Attachments

• D55F93F5-F474-45A4-A468-4865EA53B3B1.jpeg
    D55F93F5-F474-45A4-A468-4865EA53B3B1.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 27
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
go for it , life’s to short , we will be following you on the 28th aug for 4 weeks , Hopefully France
but Germany/ Spain etc are all on the substitute list 🇫🇷
Yes life’s too short - do not see the point in risking making it even shorter! France maybe on our return quarantine list quite soon which sort of tells you something.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
'Two' said, inter alia

"I think that responsible people should not be moving about for pleasure. Sure, the risk can be reduced by remaining isolated, but total isolation is impossible. Movements should be reduced to essential purposes only (food, work, health, emergency services, …). "

While i do not disagree with his post in general, I think that it is possible to move about by MH, if one stays in remote places, as is our wont, and confines oneself to the same essential purposes that he lists.

One is just doing it in a different place and any minimal effect would be on different people than at home, but not more people.

We have not done it as there are too many other commitments at present - ever tried to change residence to a bureaucratic country?

Geoff

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
sounds like you have a great excuse to avoid the MIL! Avoid Scotland at all costs, men in skirts and a crankie running the country. Just head south for better food and great wine.

You mean to the place where they have bare chested bald fat blokes and a muppet running the country? :rolleyes:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
And life will seem real long if you do nothing but hide at home.

Each to their own.

Avoiding human contact is much easier on holiday in France, than going to work and living in England.
We're not hiding at home but feel more responsible not travelling abroad at present. It's just as easy to avoid human contact in the UK, certainly on a quiet CL in the countryside.

The bonus here is people usually pick up their dog's poo. I've been really put off France by their dirty habits.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A quiet CL that probably had to be booked in advance and then what about the next stop, and the next stop, what about changing your plans, and what if the weather, or circumstances change? That’s motorhoming. Not planning dates and stays in advance, just going with the flow of the trip. I hope you enjoy staying home and saying safe, but I’m off traveling, exploring places I’ve never seen, or been, altering my plan daily, or more, and still managing to keep safe, and away from people.

But each to their own. Enjoy. I am.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
We're not hiding at home but feel more responsible not travelling abroad at present. It's just as easy to avoid human contact in the UK, certainly on a quiet CL in the countryside.

The bonus here is people usually pick up their dog's poo. I've been really put off France by their dirty habits.

Goodness you have got it bad.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Don't worry there is a cure..

A week or 4 touring the pleasant interior of France, away from the crowds, and you'll see your preconceptions were just that, preconceptions, and reality is somewhat different..

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Not sure France is so quite last night at St Valery 100 MH at least and full at Nanoncourt tonight . We are being careful masks and SD etc pity cant say same about others .

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A quiet CL that probably had to be booked in advance and then what about the next stop, and the next stop, what about changing your plans, and what if the weather, or circumstances change? That’s motorhoming. Not planning dates and stays in advance, just going with the flow of the trip. I hope you enjoy staying home and saying safe, but I’m off traveling, exploring places I’ve never seen, or been, altering my plan daily, or more, and still managing to keep safe, and away from people.

But each to their own. Enjoy. I am.
Not everyone does it your way! We once met a lovely couple who drive up to Yorkshire once a year in their MH, for three weeks. When they arrive he gets a taxi to the station and comes home to get their car. The whole procedure is reversed at the end of the three weeks. It suits them!

Anyway, circumstances are far from normal or ideal at present. We are doing what we feel is safe and responsible.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Goodness you have got it bad.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Don't worry there is a cure..

A week or 4 touring the pleasant interior of France, away from the crowds, and you'll see your preconceptions were just that, preconceptions, and reality is somewhat different..
I don’t have preconceptions about France, I have first hand knowledge. It’s good to see the Maire of Nonancourt making a real effort to try and get the locals to pick up their dog’s poo. There are now signs and plenty of bins and bags. Bring it on.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t have preconceptions about France, I have first hand knowledge. It’s good to see the Maire of Nonancourt making a real effort to try and get the locals to pick up their dog’s poo. There are now signs and plenty of bins and bags. Bring it on.

Many towns and villages have made great strides in the battle against 'Les Crottes'! We used to find these on free pillars everywhere in Lattes, where we kept our boat. I have to confess that I kept some to use here...
20200811_225058[1].jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The BBC report that Coronavirus cases in France have nearly doubled in the past 24 hours and report that in Spain the country has once again reached a "critical situation" with the worst infection rate in Europe. It reported an average daily rise of 4,923 cases during the last seven days, according to AFP news agency. The health ministry reports that there are currently 500 outbreak clusters nationwide. Spain was badly hit during a wave of infections in March and April, and more than 28,000 people have died from the disease.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just an update . Prime Minister was at a hospital in Montpelier yesterday and said France in the last two weeks has gone backwards and said masks advised to be worn in more situations . And has also said another lockdown could not be ruled out .
Was in French it I would have posted it . Was on France Bleu internet

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Just an update . Prime Minister was at a hospital in Montpelier yesterday and said France in the last two weeks has gone backwards and said masks advised to be worn in more situations . And has also said another lockdown could not be ruled out .
Was in French it I would have posted it . Was on France Bleu internet
Oh dear that’s quite disconcerting

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
We'll we've done it and travelled to the UK. Slowly travelling up to Scotland - currently near Hebden Bridge.

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
I’ve been in France a couple of weeks ago. Safe as houses. Spain last week again safe. Now we are sat in Portugal in an aire for twenty MH and we are the only ones here. Go. Stay safe and treat everyone as if they have the plague. Spend money. Support the economy at home and in Europe. All will be well. We don’t plan on coming home until Christmas.

Attachments

• 6383B580-84FF-4348-A1CD-81056C49B1DF.jpeg
    6383B580-84FF-4348-A1CD-81056C49B1DF.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 21

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back