Should we travel abroad in the motorhome. (2 Viewers)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Were booked at the end of August. It will depend how things look nearer the time. It's going to be a risk assessment job I would ignore all the posts by others who were there for the last lockdown what's to say if theres another if it will be the same. Its a bit like saying my uncle smoked for 60 years and didn't get lung cancer all it proves is that he was lucky.
If there are more frequent lockdowns locally in areas of Europe we won't go but that's a personal choice people must make.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Bewn here for 10 days another 3 weeks to go mainly Normandy heading in the Loire region now. Nothing really busy eveyone respectfull from what ive seen. Glad im here rather than some of the scenes from back home. This was Omaha beach yesterday aftetnoon.

Attachments

• 20200730_131130.jpg
    20200730_131130.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200729_115250.jpg
    20200729_115250.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Thanks everyone for all of your replies,
its certainly put our minds to rest the only problem is east west or south. Sorry Scotland another time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We gave been travelling in the UK since the 4th July using sites and cl/cs.
The ferry is booked Dover to Calais 21st August.
Should we go or should we stay.
Not even sure we could get bookings in the UK now.
The other choice is france turn left or turn right i.e 🇩🇪 or 🇪🇸 or stick to 🇫🇷. We really are unsure. Don't need to be back into the UK till the end of October.
We ve just come back from 3 weeks, great weather, no need to book, and some great places to stay, much easier than UK. You just need to consider the possibilities of disruption or quarantine.

I don't think there will be much appetite for countrywide lockdowns, but in any event they were letting people travel back to their country of residence. The biggest issue is IF UK applies the quarantine to France, and Holland in which case you would have to isolate in the UK. Risible really- how much more isolated can you get than a motorhome tour done with care?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We usually have the Red Pennant insurance, which includes repatriation of the vehicle and the dog. That level of insurance isn't available at present.
Yes it is. I renewed our annual Red Pennant this week and the only change is they will not cover any cancelled holidays due to CV19. They will cover medical expenses and repatriation if you get ill with CV. The rest of the cover is the same as always.

We have a tunnel crossing booked on 18th Sept and will go if we are allowed to. If we can't we will move our ticket to next year like we did with our previous 2 tickets we couldn't use earlier in the year. Eurotunnel have been very good with their response to cancellations.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Anyone coming to France keep a close watch in French updates . It is being muted that the government will let things run till the end if the month ( school holidays) then introduce lockdowns . The infection rate is rising daily over 2,700 yesterday from low hundreds .

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Anyone coming to France keep a close watch in French updates . It is being muted that the government will let things run till the end if the month ( school holidays) then introduce lockdowns . The infection rate is rising daily over 2,700 yesterday from low hundreds .
Whats the best french news to keep an eye on we are over just now been checking France 24 everyday for updates?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Whats the best french news to keep an eye on we are over just now been checking France 24 everyday for updates?
If you want numbers etc

If you want news in English France 24 on TV or on line

Or

You can change to English

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
So pleased to hear so many are topping up the coffers of our European neighbours. Lets hope there is a thriving British economy to come home to.
I personally feel this country has paid a heavy price for the CCP virus and deserves my monies for the next couple of years so will be touring GB.
There, that's better, and breath.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
So pleased to hear so many are topping up the coffers of our European neighbours. Lets hope there is a thriving British economy to come home to.
I personally feel this country has paid a heavy price for the CCP virus and deserves my monies for the next couple of years so will be touring GB.
There, that's better, and breath.
We're on our way to a THS right now and are out at various locations every weekend until we go away in September

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I saw 1300 for 3rd day on trot which was double the previous slowly rising figure.
2700 is a 2nd concerning rise.
Have you got a link ?
Then i scrolled down ta

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Are you thinking regional or national?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Heading over tomorrow, and can’t wait.

Been out today (Locally) trying to spend money. But it would appear that shops and businesses don’t require it from their actions, so will be happy to give my money to others.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I always do a Pro’s and Con’s list for all major decisions, be truthful, and the answer will be obvious.

I would but SWMBO Says NO ☹

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
If you want numbers etc

If you want news in English France 24 on TV or on line

Or

You can change to English
Thats great thanks for the info👍

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We are in France now with our just teenage daughters and having a great time. Virtually everyone is being sensible. Our holiday was booked back in January as we are tied to school holidays in we didn’t cancel it.
As for supporting the UK economy we have been doing that, of our 200 employees very few were furloughed and we got them back to work very quickly. We paid anyone furloughed 80% of their wage no matter what they earnt. We haven’t taken anything else from the government and have even payed our VAT on time even though we didn’t have to. I pay over 50% of my earnings to the UK government every month.
I think me spending a few euros in the next 2 weeks in France has already been off set.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Yes it is. I renewed our annual Red Pennant this week and the only change is they will not cover any cancelled holidays due to CV19. They will cover medical expenses and repatriation if you get ill with CV. The rest of the cover is the same as always.

We have a tunnel crossing booked on 18th Sept and will go if we are allowed to. If we can't we will move our ticket to next year like we did with our previous 2 tickets we couldn't use earlier in the year. Eurotunnel have been very good with their response to cancellations.

We were headed for Spain. With the current situation, I don’t think insurance is valid.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We were headed for Spain. With the current situation, I don’t think insurance is valid.
No, when I renewed our annual policy the other day she mentioned that we travel to countries that the FCO don't advise at our own risk. France isn't on that list yet but I do wonder if we'll get there in September.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When we were over there we spent about £1200 in 4 weeks.
When i got back, because i had been over there, we bought a £1300 etandem, 135 quids worth of new chairs, about 80 quids worth of gunk for the bike.
My 1500 quids worth of boosting the UK economy wouldnt have happened if I hadnt have spent the 1200 quid making sure the wife ensured that she got what she wanted.

I think some people would prefer us not to have spent any money abroad to not spend any money here

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
They are changing the rules because it is needed not just because they feel like it..Think yourself lucky you don't live in some country that cares nothing for its public,,Brazil etc..BUSBY.

They are changing the rules at short notice to divert attention from their utter incompetence. UK still has the highest deaths. e.g.

UK 771 new cases 74 new deaths

Luxembourg 98 new cases 2 new deaths

Answer - remove Luxembourg from the non-essential travel list.

You can argue population and demographics differences but the simple fact is whatever stat you care to look at the UK is the worst in Europe since this thing started.

You are correct about Brazil, though, but add USA to that list.

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
We have the opposite question. We are booked to come to the UK next week and travel up to Scotland to see the MIL who has been alone in her flat since it started. We'll be in our bubble that is the MH and feel relatively safe but the concern is that the UK or Scots gov bring some new rule that makes it all a waste of time and money.

BRND

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
I would do it, turn right and into south of Germany, Black Forest OR, south east of France. If things change for worst, it’s a straight run back. If things takes a positive turn, you got options to continue till October.
Um, turn left for Germany?!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back