Should I tell Aviva that two f***ers have just stolen the catalytic converter off my 20 year old MX5? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Two heartless f***ers have just stolen the cat off our 20 year old MX5. One stood in front of our Ring doorbell to foil the camera while the other tosser used an angle grinder to cut the cat off. The car was less than 2 metres from our front door! Not a peep out of our normally hysterically barky (f***ing) useless dog! We only found out about it cause our neighbour ran across the road to tell us as they were leaving! Should I tell the insurance company? I’ve resolved to fit a straight through pipe in place of the cat, £25 versus £500+/ write off for Cilla (she’s Black). Advice awaited....
Cops were at ours in less than 10 minutes, they were a little non committal about Cat thefts in the area, but I think sub 10 mins is telling....
Runcorn/Widnes/Stockton Heath/Hatton area for those who want/need to know.
Make sure your MoHo/camper is protected!!

Russ

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A guy used to come in our shop just off the linkway into St Helens, he dealt in buying old cats, if I see him Ill ask him.

Sorry to hear it Russ, "tos**rs"

worth asking the Insurance see what they say

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sad to hear about this shocking event, seems like a hellover risk to take for taking a Cat off a vehicle on someone's drive, especially with an angle grinder, after all what will they get for it second hand, I wonder.
What's a new one or replacement one going to cost?, if less than £750 then I would grit my teeth and bear the cost, especially as I think my policy excess is £400 on the van, and my no claims bonus is pretty good.
I hope they catch the scum that did this, did neighbour get a decent look at the getaway car?, type, colour etc.
Best wishes, hope you get a replacement soon.
LES

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
They turned up with a brick, was this to bash my head in with if I challenged them? Looks like a new cat is less than £50, so not as bad as I feared. Would you seriously bother to steal a £50 cat?

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I’m glad you didn’t know until it was too late, if they had that much front then yes I’m sure they would have attacked you and you are worth far more than the price of a cat.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
More research on this has shown that original MK2 MX5 cats are worth around £650 to £1100. A replacement is going to be around £200 fitted. I just want to catch the b***tards and administer rough justice too them with their own angle grinder!!

GRRR!

Russ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unusual targeting an MX5 they normally go for 4x4's and vans that have some ground clearance to get at the CAT.
Had one nicked of a Motorhome 10 years ago an X250, that was on my drive near the front door, P I k e y s in the area at the time. Fiat Cat £850, got a pattern part for £250, they had only unbolted it so easy to refit.
At least on the X290 the Cat & DPF are tucked up behind the engine.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
More research on this has shown that original MK2 MX5 cats are worth around £650 to £1100. A replacement is going to be around £200 fitted. I just want to catch the b***tards and administer rough justice too them with their own angle grinder!!

GRRR!

Russ
As for worth telling insurance way I usually go about it - thankfully haven't had to for several years - is what is it going to cost me i.e. cost to me of undertaking whatever privately versus total cost to me re policy excess, percentage of no claims lost and any potential increase in premium. Potential premium increase can be worked out by going onto any of the comparison sites and putting in your details twice, once with a recent claim and the other with no claims. If it works out cheaper to pay myself I do, if it doesn't I claim. For one claim I suspect it would only take 12 months claim free to recover whatever percentage was lost initially but don't know for definite what insurance companies policies are here.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
What a pain in the a**e, I’d not tell the insurance, there’s no point or gain.

Your lucky they didn’t nick the Ring doorbell, loads get taken (no idea why) personally I’d Chuck it and put up a proper camera, that would have told you they were there as soon as they came onto the property, when someone crosses onto the drive 3 lights come on as well as an audible alert (so they instantly know their presence is known) and the camera sends alerts to both our mobile phones and a screen in the kitchen, there’s a delay to the mobiles of course but if we are home it’s only about a second.

We then can simply press a button on the mobile or kitchen screen and an alarm out front will sound.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Old MX5 cats were dipped in rhodium rather than electroplated as is the norm now. Rhodium wasn’t very dear 20 odd years ago apparently!

Russ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Your lucky they didn’t nick the Ring doorbell, loads get taken (no idea why) personally I’d Chuck it and put up a proper camera,
Kids bought me one for Christmas, biggest pile of poo ever. Not even any good as a doorbell, the chime keeps losing its WiFi connection and a waste of time answering via you phone, by the time the app has opened your caller has gone. At least I have a seperate camera on the front door.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Kids bought me one for Christmas, biggest pile of poo ever. Not even any good as a doorbell, the chime keeps losing its WiFi connection and a waste of time answering via you phone, by the time the app has opened your caller has gone. At least I have a seperate camera on the front door.
I was trying to be polite, seems RustyRuss is having a great day so telling him Ring are shite souded a bit like kicking him while he’s down.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Two heartless f***ers have just stolen the cat off our 20 year old MX5. One stood in front of our Ring doorbell to foil the camera while the other tosser used an angle grinder to cut the cat off. The car was less than 2 metres from our front door! Not a peep out of our normally hysterically barky (f***ing) useless dog! We only found out about it cause our neighbour ran across the road to tell us as they were leaving! Should I tell the insurance company? I’ve resolved to fit a straight through pipe in place of the cat, £25 versus £500+/ write off for Cilla (she’s Black). Advice awaited....
Cops were at ours in less than 10 minutes, they were a little non committal about Cat thefts in the area, but I think sub 10 mins is telling....
Runcorn/Widnes/Stockton Heath/Hatton area for those who want/need to know.
Make sure your MoHo/camper is protected!!

Russ

Sorry to hear about the theft absolute bar lambs that do this. Having made insurance claimes in the recent past I would not inform them and unless the claim was for more than £2k. If for any reason you need to make another claim in the relatively near future insurance tends to skyrocket. But everyone is different you have to decide if you need to or not.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Lenny I have 6 ring cameras all are working fine, I also have a few UNV hard wired IP camera’s just in case of Wi-fi jamming. In my view the Ring cameras are good you may find it’s your Wi-fi signal/router that’s the issue.

remember Wi-fi signals are like puppies 🐶 they go where they want, type of house you live in what the walls are made out of etc. I use a BT smart hub 2 the signal is solid around most of the house and have used by mini 600 power extenders to get my data network to the Garage where 3 cameras live and all work fine.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I agree about the Ring doorbell, complete pile of poo! The damn thing’s battery only stays alive for a week at the most! Useless!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I agree about the Ring doorbell, complete pile of poo! The damn thing’s battery only stays alive for a week at the most! Useless!
Wow that’s a busy door bell or a fault, they should work for a longer period than that,

I do have the little solar panel but even in winter the battery lasts a month or more. Here is a screen shot of mine and I changed the battery over a month ago.

C4631BCA-83E5-490A-A144-3633CD789156.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny I have 6 ring cameras all are working fine, I also have a few UNV hard wired IP camera’s just in case of Wi-fi jamming. In my view the Ring cameras are good you may find it’s your Wi-fi signal/router that’s the issue.

remember Wi-fi signals are like puppies 🐶 they go where they want, type of house you live in what the walls are made out of etc. I use a BT smart hub 2 the signal is solid around most of the house and have used by mini 600 power extenders to get my data network to the Garage where 3 cameras live and all work fine.
Well aware of internet/router/wifi (been in the trade) the chime is 4' from the router and the bell 6'
Charged the battery on mine a couple of weeks ago first time since Christmas, not much point though everything else about it is useless.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Well aware of internet/router/wifi (been in the trade) the chime is 4' from the router and the bell 6'

Being ‘in the trade’ you will know distance isn’t everything, do you know the RSSI figure? If it’s that bad a unit you could always replace it with a hard wired IP unit.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Rife with this sort of problem. Sorry to hear that.

if you had booted the car off the jack, you would be behind bars I’m sure.

I have 6 motors outside my house, two with the much targeted cats on.

I think it’s time for a driveway alarm

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Being ‘in the trade’ you will know distance isn’t everything, do you know the RSSI figure? If it’s that bad a unit you could always replace it with a hard wired IP unit.
My Rssi figure is -48...and I had a right faff setting the chime up.
Even now it rings when it wants.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A decent fire extinguisher is handy for attacking the bxxxxxrds if you catch them early enough.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Got rid of a Netgear because of poor Wifi performance now using a TP Link and get a good signal all around the house, disabled 5G as it no like walls.
My Rssi figure is -48...and I had a right faff setting the chime up.
Even now it rings when it wants.
Yep a mind of their own, thinking of a tactful way of asking daughter to return it.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh,how I wish I could get hold of a tazer. Well,I probably could but ...........

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They did well using an angle grinder to cut it off and no one hearing it ...ive been using mine everyday for a week or so and i think everyone within a mile knows it. Also no idea how they cut all the way through an exhaust with one unless it was one of the monster 9" ones ...must be kwik fit fitters lol.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Re the straight through pipe replacement.You'll not get through MOT on emissions with that.

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017

GRRR!

Russ
I've got a MK 2.5 MX5 in my garage on SORN . If that figure is correct it just doubled in value.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Trev get a de-cat pipe, fit it and use the car. Only re-fit the cat at MOT time. This is the strategy I'm going to follow.....

Russ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back