Should I remove the roof lining? (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
My van is a former crew bus, and it has a moulded lining fitted under the front half of the roof. It has a textured surface, and that needs a clean of course. It looks as if it would be difficult to remove it without lifting the roof, and I am wondering if it is worth it. Would I have any problems if I just put a bit of insulation over it, and put a wooden ceiling on top of that. ( well under it, as it is a roof ).?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would definitely remove it and if it’s a tin roof get back to bare metal and then insulate. Not sure about a wooded ceiling though, use 3mm lining board from somewhere like Magnums which has a textured finish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you like the shape & the way it is fitted remove it, insulate the steel roof, give the lining a good clean and cover it with lining carpet, then re-install it. You will not be able to replicate the shape and method of installation if you make your own.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
It's a plastic roof. The lining is hard contoured, and it has moulded strips to cover the metal bracing struts. There isn't much room for insulation behind it, and I was tempted to use reflectix,but that has pretty useless thermal insulation properties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks for the replies.
I had another look at the lining yesterday. It would appear that only the front part over the cab is moulded. The rest is just a rectangular piece glued to the roof, and it runs from side to side. I have two pieces as it was a fromer crewbus, I suspect that the mini-bus will have th e same arrangement, but cvering the whole of the roof. It would appear that the best option is to leave the over-cab section in place, and to replace the lining in the back of the van. I plan to isolate the cab ( with an entry door) so insulation may not be so important in this section.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back