Should I apply for Spanish Residency? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Following on from my recent posts. here is my situation.

Semi retired
Property in Spain
Wish to spend more time in Spain
Work in UK and or Spain

Any questions, please ask.

I know a lot of you have done it.

Just wondering if it is too late and what the benefit(s) may be. for or against

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Getting tight on appointments, this has a knock on to being able to get a Spanish driving licence before end of year. Read Citizens advice in Spain...a good source of info, perhaps better than I can offer,

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Only you can say if being a Spanish resident is for you. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons. Becoming a resident will enable you to spend as long as you like at your Spanish property (at least 6 months a year in the first 5 years is necessary to keep your residency).

As Martin has said, join Citizens Advice Spain (Facebook and Website) all the information you may need is there.

If you do decide to (and be quick about it) it might be best to use a gestor or other professional to do the paperwork for you. They seem to have a better chance of acquiring appointments. You need to get your driving licence application in before the end of December to avoid taking a Spanish test!! You need to be resident to do that 🤔

Good luck 🤞👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Only you can decide Trev, it depends where you want to spend most of your time, but it's easier before the end of the year than after. 😁 Bob

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I agree with the other postings. you really have to be quick if you’re going to to it. The first thing you need is an up to date Padron. I phoned the Ayuntamiento in Mazarron a few days ago to make an appointment for our neighbours who want residency and the first appointment I could get was for the 6th October. It used to be that you could walk into the town hall for paperwork but due to Covid you now need an appointment and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and is rushing to try and get it done before the end of the year which is resulting in a waiting list for appointments.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Only you can decide Trev, it depends where you want to spend most of your time, but it's easier before the end of the year than after. 😁 Bob

Most people say or assume before 31st is best.

But a friend suggested that a paid Visa will probably be made available ?

Who Knows,

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Trev

One other thing you should do if you will be resident in Spain and receiving a UK pension(are you?) is to contact NHS Newcastle to get a S1 form, which when registered with the Spanish health authorities entitles you to the same free health services as a Spanish resident.

I did it by phone and S1 form arrived at Polish address in 2 weeks.

[P.S. Look at my recent post on the camper and tide thread]

Geoff

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Trev

One other thing you should do if you will be resident in Spain and receiving a UK pension(are you?) is to contact NHS Newcastle to get a S1 form, which when registered with the Spanish health authorities entitles you to the same free health services as a Spanish resident.

I did it by phone and S1 form arrived at Polish address in 2 weeks.

[P.S. Look at my recent post on the camper and tide thread]

Geoff

I am many years off State Pension.

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
Also don't know what you drive but if it's over 3.5 tonnes you probably won't be able to drive it onva Spanish licence

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Also don't know what you drive but if it's over 3.5 tonnes you probably won't be able to drive it onva Spanish licence

`yes, as I understand it, if I change my license now, I can get the 7.5t . 8.25GTW transferred ?>

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
`yes, as I understand it, if I change my license now, I can get the 7.5t . 8.25GTW transferred ?>

I am about to swap my licence for a Polish one because I know that before 31st Dec I will get like for like categories.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back