Shocking quality. (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My 3 year old snipe satellite failed , been clunking for a while. While shopping around for something to replace it thought I'd dismantle it , just out of curiosity to see what's inside. (I do have mechanical, electronic background).

Absolutely shocked at the innards. Both motors had seized through lack of lubricant.
All roller bearings had no grease in them,looks like never been greased ,installed dry .
Water in both motors.
Little or no grease on cogs.
Wiring not secured.
Definitely not sealed against water ingress, mother board even has a plastic cover to keep water off.
Having a play now to see if I can get it going, already got motors going. Just got to get a new GPS module as this ones turned brown from the water.

Would definitely have never ok'd these for fixing to roof or permanent out door use.

No wonder avtex in Wales stopped selling or repairing them.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
The water ingress fault is documented on Amazzon reviews. Truly shocking quality on a supposedly waterproof unit. Has the cable gland failed?
Yes the gland looks like where water has got in . Its actually site towards front of van so rain gets forced in while driving. Also gland is right above pcb and one of the motors.
Have now managed to get it going again just got to order new bearings and seal up the gland , thinking of re mounting it backwards.

It now sounds less like a bag of spanners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Its actually site towards front of van so rain gets forced in while driving
It should never have been fitted that way round.
You have not said which model, the Snipe 1 were a bit flaky, even though I had problems with a Snipe 1 on the last van I still fitted a Snipe 2 to the current van as I can fit 3 Snipes for the price or an Oyster. Nearly 4 years on the Snipe 2 is still working.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
It should never have been fitted that way round.
You have not said which model, the Snipe 1 were a bit flaky, even though I had problems with a Snipe 1 on the last van I still fitted a Snipe 2 to the current van as I can fit 3 Snipes for the price or an Oyster. Nearly 4 years on the Snipe 2 is still working.
This model has snipe pro logo on it, but I think its a snipe 2 with a different controller.
Before this we had a snipe 1 which failed, that had about half a litre of water in it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first Snipe 1 I had was replaced under warranty at about a year old (faulty docking switch). 2nd one stopped locking on after 18months, I stripped down bone dry inside.
As I said not had any problems with the 2. Maybe I've been lucky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Wish I could be lucky.

Thing is I've had 2 now, both failed, do I try 3rd time lucky,?

Even though they've failed ,when this one has been working its done great, picked up signal down to black forest and down to 60 mile from Spanish border.

As you say at the price you can get 3 or 4 for what an oyster or decent dish costs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back