Sheer Volume of LVs in Cornwall Yesterday (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Nicky and I are currently on our annual 6-day visit to Cornwall (by car) visiting all of our relatives in the area and I have to say how amazed we were by the sheer volume of caravans, MoHo's, campers, vans, etc, in Cornwall yesterday.

Not only was the traffic horrendous down here but there are MoHo's and tuggers stuffed in just about every orifice of the county.

It's a lovely part of the world but I can see why the locals get so hacked off with tourists and the congestion.

I wished I had taken a photo of it but there was one car park in Parr Sands that was stuffed to the brim with many dozens of MoHo's.

Can't wait to get back to Durham!

Here's a pic of a layby but there were loads more like it:

Screenshot_20200809-080752_Gallery.jpg

Car park at the service station:
Screenshot_20200809-082958_Gallery.jpg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We came back from Newquay Friday.
Caught up by Stonehenge about 1800 hrs for an hour or so.
There were shed loads making their way down towards the South West (or possibly returning home to SW)
If they were destination Cornwall, I doubt many of them would make it by nightfall going on the length of the queue.
When we were booking a site, there were only 7 in Cornwall with availability and started at £43 a night.
Managed to get the help of a funster to get on a CL which had 7 but he knew the owner and name dropping was employed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nicky and I are currently on our annual 6-day visit to Cornwall (by car) visiting all of our relatives in the area and I have to say how amazed we were by the sheer volume of caravans, MoHo's, campers, vans, etc, in Cornwall yesterday.

Not only was the traffic horrendous down here but there are MoHo's and tuggers stuffed in just about every orifice of the county.

It's a lovely part of the world but I can see why the locals get so hacked off with tourists and the congestion.

I wished I had taken a photo of it but there was one car park in Parr Sands that was stuffed to the brim with many dozens of MoHo's.

Can't wait to get back to Durham!

Here's a pic of a layby but there were loads more like it:

View attachment 414061

Car park at the service station:
View attachment 414062

Get the other 50% back to work would help the problem
Caught up by Stonehenge about 1800 hrs for an hour or so.
It is like that night & day. You even get swan neckers at 3am. should have been sorted 50 years ago& could have been with the 10's of millions they have wasted on ludicrous attempts to alleviate the problem,

Whilst you allow people to actually see them from a distance , who then slow down, rubber necking you are on a loser.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Get the other 50% back to work would help the problem

It is like that night & day. You even get swan neckers at 3am. should have been sorted 50 years ago& could have been with the 10's of millions they have wasted on ludicrous attempts to alleviate the problem,

Whilst you allow people to actually see them from a distance , who then slow down, rubber necking you are on a loser.
On this occasion it was a collision............................caused by a rubbernecker no doubt

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It's been this way for years. I lived in Cornwall for 9 years and, during the peak season, didn't really go out at all. Thing is, without the tourism the county really would be in trouble. And it's fairly quiet the rest of the year :)

Praa is a good example. I'd not visit in August (used too), but the rest of the year I classed it as my local.

Motorhomes are allowed to park overnight, but in August it gets daft. Awnings out, genny's running, BBQ's going, (gas ones generally, attached to vans, although a lot on the beach as well from non-motorhomers), and more.

One guy used to have bollards around his van so he could park his toad when he returned from days out (right on the front, motorhome never moved). Once he returned he had space to set up his chairs, BBQ, deep fat fryer and genny to power it. He usually stayed for 6 weeks (as a few do). Guess the sticker in the windscreen (sadly). He wasn't alone, just an example I vividly remember.

This type of behaviour did cause issues with locals. A councillor came one day and photographed the worst offenders. The deep fat fryer guy wasn't happy, so reported the councillor to the Police, saying he was taking photos of his kids getting changed in his van. Lovely guy. I was there and appalled - hence avoiding the area in August since.

But, outside the mad season, it's a lovely place to stay a night or two and the locals are really friendly. We have made a lot of friends there and look forwards to the middle of September :)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It's been this way for years. I lived in Cornwall for 9 years and, during the peak season, didn't really go out at all. Thing is, without the tourism the county really would be in trouble. And it's fairly quiet the rest of the year :)

Praa is a good example. I'd not visit in August (used too), but the rest of the year I classed it as my local.

Motorhomes are allowed to park overnight, but in August it gets daft. Awnings out, genny's running, BBQ's going, (gas ones generally, attached to vans, although a lot on the beach as well from non-motorhomers), and more.

One guy used to have bollards around his van so he could park his toad when he returned from days out (right on the front, motorhome never moved). Once he returned he had space to set up his chairs, BBQ, deep fat fryer and genny to power it. He usually stayed for 6 weeks (as a few do). Guess the sticker in the windscreen (sadly). He wasn't alone, just an example I vividly remember.

This type of behaviour did cause issues with locals. A councillor came one day and photographed the worst offenders. The deep fat fryer guy wasn't happy, so reported the councillor to the Police, saying he was taking photos of his kids getting changed in his van. Lovely guy. I was there and appalled - hence avoiding the area in August since.

But, outside the mad season, it's a lovely place to stay a night or two and the locals are really friendly. We have made a lot of friends there and look forwards to the middle of September :)
Lived just over the Tamar Bridge into Cornwall for 12 years and never ventured out in July and August ! Work then home !

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Really looking forward now to my first visit to Cornwall [Marazion] in a fortnight's time 😨!

🏖

:cool:

Marazion is another great example, sadly :frowny:

7-8 years ago it was fine to park motorhomes on the seafront in the area overnight. Of course this was abused. The solution that the area came up with was to ban all motorhomes between 10pm and 7am (from memory).

For the last 10 years a PVC has been my only vehicle. My hobby is landscape photography. The new rules meant I couldn't do a sunrise shoot in the area as I couldn't park. Also bad for the local surfers who like to get an hour or so on the waves before work and before tourists arrive.

Lots of parking throughout the day though around Marazion, and a beautiful place to visit (y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just read in Dan Hodges Column that the R rating here is 3.3, up from .9 last week.

Like most of the locals here in Cornwall we avoid the holiday spots, use the roads as little as possible, and never go anywhere near the Tourist Rip offs during holiday season.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Really looking forward now to my first visit to Cornwall [Marazion] in a fortnight's time 😨!

🏖

:cool:

Are you going to the Marazion CMC site, it is lovely, no facilities, very peaceful, and not regimented.
Plenty of MH parking at beach car-park for St. Michaels Mount, but get there early!!
2 great little pubs in the village.
Enjoy it
Joe

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s been that way far longer than most remember. In the 80`s & 90`s part of my "area" was from Poole, to the Tamar, and everything in between, Getting Clients Inspections and Surveys done in the July/August Period, was simply no joke at all. Horrendous Traffic, RTA`s, Jams. Even Midweek!. The "hit" Rate was 50% below other seasonal levels. Every weekend the A303 Crawled and as fast as they duelled or bye-passed a bit the crawl just moved further along. The Coastal A35 was no better neither was the A30 Either. At one phase, I attempted to improve travell times by using the Beemer (bike). Only to be told "it was not the image the company wished to portray"!!!!. Still used to do the odd one on the Q-T for those who had more sense. I told the line boss, the bike was more more valuable than their crappy Rep-mobile!.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
That's me... lovely feedback, thanks.
Some wonderful little villages if you head left from the top of the lane, with great places to eat, and the fish & chip van which calls on site is very good.
Morrissons, Tesco and Sainsburys, short drive away in Penzance.
Take rock pegs for windbreaks, awning etc, if you use them
Have a great time

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
It’s sort of inevitable, given everyone has had to holiday between July 4th and end August and travelling abroad is a complete lottery.

I suspect it’s just another of those things we’ll remember and reminisce about in a few years time. Next year, if it’s all clear, theyll be moaning about everyone disappearing abroad 😁👍

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Just read in Dan Hodges Column that the R rating here is 3.3, up from .9 last week.

Like most of the locals here in Cornwall we avoid the holiday spots, use the roads as little as possible, and never go anywhere near the Tourist Rip offs during holiday season.
Are you sure.. I've just checked the gov.uk web site for this weeend, R number for South west 0.8 to 1.1

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
it just sounds like a normal high season in Cornwall.

We used to go every year, even considered moving down there as work transfers were available but by the late 90's & us tied to school holidays made us realise we couldn't have hacked living there. Trying to get around anywhere just got silly at times.

Nice to see you posting BTW Andrew👍

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Are you sure.. I've just checked the gov.uk web site for this weeend, R number for South west 0.8 to 1.1

Dan Hodges quoted someone he was interviewing in Cambourne, that's all I know. Fake News?
He is Glenda Jacksons son.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’ve just read through this thread as I am due to travel to Padstow this weekend.
We set off on Saturday and are breaking the journey with an overnight at eddievanbitz Cornish Farm.
Fabulous site for anyone who is passing the Taunton area btw.
However, Sunday’s planned leg from Taunton to Padstow is now filling me with dread after reading the above.
That said, it’s to be expected. Summer holidays plus lack of overseas travel means seaside destinations and roads to are going to be busier.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I’ve just read through this thread as I am due to travel to Padstow this weekend.
We set off on Saturday and are breaking the journey with an overnight at eddievanbitz Cornish Farm.
Fabulous site for anyone who is passing the Taunton area btw.
However, Sunday’s planned leg from Taunton to Padstow is now filling me with dread after reading the above.
That said, it’s to be expected. Summer holidays plus lack of overseas travel means seaside destinations and roads to are going to be busier.
I would say you are making a good decision staying at Eddies on Saturday.

Sundays are much less worst than Saturdays for that route.

I was due to go to Newquay on the motorbike on Friday to pick up van from daughter who has it down there atm. I have managed to secure some overtime on Saturday so sending the wife down by train to drive back.
She wont leave Newquay til about 1600 hrs in the hope she can get back by 2200 hrs on a normal 4 hour journey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back