Sharing the motorhome with a new dog (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
After mum falling pretty badly ill after her second jab I have had to take responsibility of her German Shepherd, Sherpa.

My mum will be in hospital for over a month and my auntie has tried to look after Sherpa but struggled so it wasn't going to work. She will be coming back up to Aberdeenshire with me and staying with me at my work in a little Hymer B524.

Any tips to help me get going for keeping a big sized dog in a small motorhome? Lucky enough to be situated in the middle of no where so plenty space and walking opportunities but I will still need to work from 7 to 6.

Here she is saying hello to all you funsters....

20210429_163320.jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
What a gorgeous dog! Can you find a space for her, that she can call her own? Our dog has a bed in front of the passenger seat and she’s very happy there.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What a gorgeous dog! Can you find a space for her, that she can call her own? Our dog has a bed in front of the passenger seat and she’s very happy there.
There's not really a natural space for her. I can think of 2 options - remove the table with leg to give her a space at the bottom of sofa or I thought I could remove the passenger seat to give her a lot of space at the front.

I hope she settles there as I can't think of any other solutions for someone to look after her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Sorry to hear about your mum, when I had a medium size dog his space was under the dinette until we were on the move, then he sat on the passenger seat watching the world go by.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we adopted our latest muttly he came with his own matt and blanket. We took that with us on our first trip. During the day he is happy to be between the two benches at the back. At night we move him to the foot of the bed.
I think they settle were it smells right and are with people they know.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
She will probably want to be close to you after being moved around. She will also be missing your mum so keen to keep an eye on you. We look after my daughters dog when they go away and as long as he is near one of us he doesn't seem to mind too much.

Hope your mum is soon up and about.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
No matter what size the dog is it will find its spot, big dogs can curl up small and small dogs can become bloody huge when they want to
This is so true, when I lived in a pile of bricks we had three Spaniels, they could all snuggle in the same bed or stretch out and take up half the living room.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
After mum falling pretty badly ill after her second jab I have had to take responsibility of her German Shepherd, Sherpa.

My mum will be in hospital for over a month and my auntie has tried to look after Sherpa but struggled so it wasn't going to work. She will be coming back up to Aberdeenshire with me and staying with me at my work in a little Hymer B524.

Any tips to help me get going for keeping a big sized dog in a small motorhome? Lucky enough to be situated in the middle of no where so plenty space and walking opportunities but I will still need to work from 7 to 6.

View attachment 497538
Just let her have Any Seat she wants!!!

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Will she come to work with you or be in the van from 7am till 6pm? How old is she? This affects how much attention she needs. Have you had a dog before? Lot's to learn if not. She's beautiful and i hope your mum gets well soon and is reunited quickly.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Yeah she is beautiful! She will quickly list slot in with your life. Shepherds are amazingly adaptable. Sherpa will be happy just bring with you. Also any advice you want pm me, proud doggy daddy to two German Shepherds!!
Simon

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well done for taking on Sherpa, it's a big commitment. Hope I've read it right that she's with you at work & she can be outside with you during the day? I imagine she'll settle quite well if that's the case.

Hope your mum makes a full recovery.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Will she come to work with you or be in the van from 7am till 6pm? How old is she? This affects how much attention she needs. Have you had a dog before? Lot's to learn if not. She's beautiful and i hope your mum gets well soon and is reunited quickly.

Well done for taking on Sherpa, it's a big commitment. Hope I've read it right that she's with you at work & she can be outside with you during the day? I imagine she'll settle quite well if that's the case.

Hope your mum makes a full recovery.
Ideally I would like to eventually just let her roam free when I am in the workshop. It is in the middle of nowhere and pretty quiet. Although can be quite busy with vehicles coming and going some days. I'd have to think of her safety first. A joiner has one of the other units on the farm and he lets his dog just go as she pleases. She's maybe a bit better behaved than Sherpa though.

Either that or I could keep her in the office, not very fair on anyone working in there though although I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Sherpa is 5. In general a really well behaved dog but needs some work on some behaviours that we have never managed to iron out.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Beautiful girl! Presumably your van is at least a two berth, so room shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Get throws or old sheets to cover all beds and seats and lots of towels. If she is going to be tied up outside, leave some toys with her. The sort that you can put food in will keep her busy.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Traveling with animals in the vehicle, check out rule 57 of the Highway Code. I wasn't aware of this until being stopped for an unrestrained dog. If you should be involved in an accident you may find your insurance invalidated.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Traveling with animals in the vehicle, check out rule 57 of the Highway Code. I wasn't aware of this until being stopped for an unrestrained dog. If you should be involved in an accident you may find your insurance invalidated.
Had the police in Wales stop us due to a spill form a lorry, the police woman that did the rounds while we were all stopped spent a few minute stroking my 2 jackies on the passenger seat.
I really know I should have them restrained, ill have to get my act together

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Dogs like small spaces , enclosures , you might find she’s very settled in the moho anyway - our two boxers are never more content than when in the motorhome .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
monzer I hope you have had a chat with Sherpa about the birds & bees, or she has been done. Now that would really be a huge issue to deal with

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
monzer I hope you have had a chat with Sherpa about the birds & bees, or she has been done. Now that would really be a huge issue to deal with
Yeah that's all fine. We just need to have a chat about her jumping up on the sofa when I have just bought her a brand new bed :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can help with most dog issues but lost that argument in our van. Daytime at home or van, they sleep on their beds, 3 of them, but at night it's on the sofa

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Yeah that's all fine. We just need to have a chat about her jumping up on the sofa when I have just bought her a brand new bed :LOL:
Don't ya just love having a dog! Look at all those throws over the furniture😂

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Beautiful dog :love:
How's it going monzer

Karen
It's going pretty well to be honest. She doesn't really like the steps to the motorhome so may fashion her a small ramp out of old bits of pallet. But apart from that she has settled in fine.

She follows me around the workshop constantly and doesn't like the forklift so I tend to keep her in the office through the day but she likes that. Off the lead all the time and she knows not to wander too far. Also made a friend with the joiners dog.

She settles well when I go to bed which is the biggest worry I had. Only bad point has been so much rain she hasn't been lying outside as much as she'd like.

Thanks for asking.

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015

View attachment 497538Beautiful

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back