Alex66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hello, I am looking to build out a camper what tools will make my life easier and what are essential?

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Alex

When I converted a T4 van to a camper, apart from general hand tools, the other tool I used which I would say are essential are a router, circular saw and jig saw.

Cheers

Trevor

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
1 router 1 jigsaw 5 tape measures and a box off 100 pencils thing i found handy was a large square when i say large i mean 4 foot long one edge
you cant use a level when building a van so get the floor flat then square of measure of off that

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
If funds permit, a plunge saw would be better than a standard circular saw. It allows more accurate cuts to be done more easily and quickly and with a better finish and less tear out. A good power drill with range of hole saws will be needed and many find that an oscillating multi tool becomes indispensable. They are great for work in confined spaces and for cutting square holes.

When you move onto electrics, a test meter and various sizes of crimping tool will be your friends.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
If you don’t have the skills it doesn’t matter what tools you buy, you won’t be able to use them.

If you do have the skills you wouldn’t need to ask the question.

I think this is very harsh. Everyone has to start somewhere. I certainly did and learned to maintain a car, strip and rebuild an engine and gearbox and respray a Mini which I had stripped to its basic shell and could wheel in and out of the garage on a wheelbarrow! It was much the same with decorating, plumbing, electrics and woodwork though I did a little bit of that at school and made a pencil box before I was 13! You buy books, manuals and do your best and improve as you go along.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Alex66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
If funds permit, a plunge saw would be better than a standard circular saw. It allows more accurate cuts to be done more easily and quickly and with a better finish and less tear out. A good power drill with range of hole saws will be needed and many find that an oscillating multi tool becomes indispensable. They are great for work in confined spaces and for cutting square holes.

When you move onto electrics, a test meter and various sizes of crimping tool will be your friends.
I have I think most electrical tools, built a stereo from scratch, also various wood working tools though most are things like hand saws. Want to avoid buying anything that is not going to get used enough and anything that will improve efficiency, probably have the skill to do a reasonable job.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sensible question IMHO, I learned years ago the job was easier, and faster, if you had the right tools to start with. I would add a good selection of cramps, big box of drills and a crimping set.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Buy it as you find you need it.
I recently bought an oscillating saw, like an angle grinder but with a vibrating saw blade, for a job I was struggling with.
Thirty odd quid from Argos. Cheap as i expected a single use tool...never needed one before, didn't think I'd need one again.. . But its been used on a couple of other jobs now which would have been extremely difficult/impossible without it so its paid for itself already.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have I think most electrical tools, built a stereo from scratch, also various wood working tools though most are things like hand saws. Want to avoid buying anything that is not going to get used enough and anything that will improve efficiency, probably have the skill to do a reasonable job.
Buy a good quality Multi-tool as with that you can do most things.

oldpatchwork

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Basildon Essex
Funster No
MH
DIY Ex Police Spinter
Exp
Ex Tent Camper new to motor homes
a good helper is invaluable my Mrs finds every thing I got all the tools but now health stops me using them so I think about what I used to do and get her to do it, I do what I can when I can but still cant find the tape measure and pencil when I want one
Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back