Sense of humour failure! (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
In La linea at the marina and decided to scoot into Gib on my leccy scooter! Baseball cap for baldy heid check!
Fleece as it could get cold check!
Shopping bag check!
Uk money check!
Irish ID card check!
Was stopped at the far side of the airport runway by security telling me that it was illegal to ride a scooter in Gib without a safety helmet! Fair doos! Walked to Morrisons and walked back with scooter.
At the gate the queue for motorised vehicles was smaller for crossing the runway so i queued waiting, light turned green off we all went but the security guard, same one, stepped out and stopped me, saying he had told me once that it was a £300 fine for riding a scooter in Gibraltar without a safety helmet. I was STILL in Gibraltar doh he wasn’t a very happy bunny lol but I convinced him I thought I was in Spain and it was a genuine mistake lol
He’s obviously not getting any at home so I forgive him 🤪🤪🤪

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Back around 68 before the law came in, I got stopped by a copper who said please wear a helmet, he went on to explain that he had recently been to a fatal accident where the guy wasn't wearing a helmet, and didn't want to go to another.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Having seen a few heads hit stuff at speed, I really have no idea why you wouldn’t wear a lid. It’s not even as if it will be you at fault the way some idiots drive.

I never used to bother when top roping climbs, until once when in the Alps and I heard a strange whoosh followed by an almighty thud next to me. Fist sized boulders dislodged from hundreds of metres above.

I wear it all the time when climbing now.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Back around 68 before the law came in, I got stopped by a copper who said please wear a helmet, he went on to explain that he had recently been to a fatal accident where the guy wasn't wearing a helmet, and didn't want to go to another.
Coppers are always banging on about safety, they have a skewed view of the risks because they get called out to every accident, it's a wonder they dare drive.

I'm a great believer in freedom of choice, we are adults after all and know the risks.

Incidentally here in Zante most of the local scooter riders choose not to wear helmets. A truly free country 😊🤗

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Coppers are always banging on about safety, they have a skewed view of the risks because they get called out to every accident, it's a wonder they dare drive.

I'm a great believer in freedom of choice, we are adults after all and know the risks.

Incidentally here in Zante most of the local scooter riders choose not to wear helmets. A truly free country 😊🤗
Sorry, I disagree here.

The views may be skewed, however breaking bad news to loved ones is the worst part of my job. The dead never see the anguish left behind.

It might be your choice to accept death, in my experience the nearest and dearest always disagree.

With great freedom comes great responsibility. 😊

I have no problem driving, I just always wear my seatbelt. 😂

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
In Thailand the law is must wear a helmet when on a scooter or mc ,,, but 80% dont , you see a lot of smashed heads like eggs on the roads even in very low speed survivable accidents where they might just have abraisions, or busted leg etc ...they die because of no helmet ...splattttt!!!!!!! and a lot of cops there dont wear helmets either,

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

Agree. It should be our choice.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It might be your choice to accept death
No I wouldn't accept the additional risks personally, I choose to wear a p1ss pot helmet in Spain, but it should be any adults choice to wear a helmet or not
In my experience the nearest and dearest always disagree.
Of course they do, my mum always worries about me unnecessarily, but is it her life or mine? Sometimes I put my seat belt on when it's pinging away annoying me and think "mum this is for you" 😂

PS no need to apologise 🤗👍

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Having seen a few heads hit stuff at speed, I really have no idea why you wouldn’t wear a lid.
Nor me, I have seen a brain separated from a head a few times. Best avoided.

I’ve never understood the I’m an adult and it’s my choice argument. An adult does not normally inflict blood and gore on friends, family, bystanders and those who have to pick up the pieces. Adult behaviour it seems to me is to consider the consequences of your actions for more than just yourself. In my view anyway.

If it is about freedom of choice, can I elect not to fund their healthcare if they survive but are incapacitated in the UK, not to fund any state support when they can’t work anymore and not to fund the cost of cleaning up the mess? After all I chose not to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
With a seat belt always leave it connected and just sit in the seat, therefore it never pings.
If thats what you wish to do.
As for helmets, i wear one for cycling, not because i like to, i just like my children and grandchildren to wear them and need to set a good example.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
My old dad had an expression that stayed with me. “If you’ve got a ten bob head, wear a ten bob hat’. He was talking about motorcycle helmets but the principle still applies”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
No I wouldn't accept the additional risks personally, I choose to wear a p1ss pot helmet in Spain, but it should be any adults choice to wear a helmet or not

Of course they do, my mum always worries about me unnecessarily, but is it her life or mine? Sometimes I put my seat belt on when it's pinging away annoying me and think "mum this is for you" 😂

PS no need to apologise 🤗👍
I’m glad you do it for your mum 🥰

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
People aren't good at assessing personal risk. Laws are generally put in place based on data. No, it's not always perfect. But generally they achieve what they set out to do.

And anyone that says it's their risk and it only affects them is bloody selfish. Your death or maiming affects a chain of people, potentially for decades.

Counter argument to this is, I always wear a cycle helmet. Even though there's pretty much no evidence that they reduce my risk. There's actually data suggesting helmets increase the severity of road accidents because drivers assume the cyclist is better protected, so the drivers take bigger risks. Studies showed drivers close pass helmeted cyclists more often.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Agree. It should be our choice.
Agree, but on condition that any cranial damage that ends you up in hospital is paid for out of your own pocket.
(Plus all costs associated with you living in a wheelchair for the rest of your life)

In the event of death caused by lack of a helmet, all insurance payouts should be waived, and the poor sod that has to tell the family gets a £500 'black telegram' bonus from your estate.

Basically your predictable and preventable "accident" should not cost the public/tax payers any time, effort, money or public resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
People aren't good at assessing personal risk. Laws are generally put in place based on data. No, it's not always perfect. But generally they achieve what they set out to do.

And anyone that says it's their risk and it only affects them is bloody selfish. Your death or maiming affects a chain of people, potentially for decades.

Counter argument to this is, I always wear a cycle helmet. Even though there's pretty much no evidence that they reduce my risk. There's actually data suggesting helmets increase the severity of road accidents because drivers assume the cyclist is better protected, so the drivers take bigger risks. Studies showed drivers close pass helmeted cyclists more often.
Also the cyclist feels safer so rides faster and takes slightly more risks. Same with seat belts, we feel safer so drive faster.

It's all about risk perception. Lowering the speed limit makes us feel safer, so we've got time to check Facebook and send texts while driving. In a few years when the speed limits are 2mph we'll probably be able to get a nap while driving 😁

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Agree, but on condition that any cranial damage that ends you up in hospital is paid for out of your own pocket.
(Plus all costs associated with you living in a wheelchair for the rest of your life)

In the event of death caused by lack of a helmet, all insurance payouts should be waived, and the poor sod that has to tell the family gets a £500 'black telegram' bonus from your estate.

Basically your predictable and preventable "accident" should not cost the public/tax payers any time, effort, money or public resources.
And the same for all the fat, the smokers, and drinkers?

You are safer wearing a HANS device, so I assume you wear one of those whilst driving to keep the minimalise the risk of injury or cost to others.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Also the cyclist feels safer so rides faster and takes slightly more risks. Same with seat belts, we feel safer so drive faster.

It's all about risk perception. Lowering the speed limit makes us feel safer, so we've got time to check Facebook and send texts while driving. In a few years when the speed limits are 2mph we'll probably be able to get a nap while driving 😁
Agree. They all feel safe in their boxes with safety toys as standard, so are completely removed from driving and the reality of what they are doing.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I wouldn't have dreamed not wearing a helmet on the pillion of my husband's bikes and if I had ever even thought about it the day we met slippy SMA tarmac in drizzly rain just outside Welshpool one Sunday during a Midlands Massif rideout with B.I.R.D. pals and I found myself sliding back towards Shrewsbury with the side of my helmet visor getting badly gouged absolutely reinforced why we all need damn good quality well fitting helmets - THAT could have been my damn face Oh Please!. By this time I'd recalled that someone once wrote somewhere that should you find yourself sliding along the road you should cross your arms across your chest, so I forced my arms to do that - and instantly stopped with quite a thud as the back of my helmet smacked down on the road. I had some multi coloured bruises in all sorts of places following that but nowt serious, unlike the poor chap riding it.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
In La linea at the marina and decided to scoot into Gib on my leccy scooter!
When you say "leccy scooter" do you mean a proper scooter or one of those godawful platform & 2 tiny wheel things?
electric-scooters.jpgAura2.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Just because one has a negative effect against the other, it doesn't mean they're equal.

20mph zones might mean you're more distracted. But that doesn't appear to offset the safety gains. There are very few road deaths in 20mph zones and frequency and severity are also significantly reduced.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back