Selling /road tax ? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Bit confused on this --have sold m/cycle (still in my garage ) and sent V5 to DVLA with new keeper details on.Do they now refund me road tax (from Dec onwards ? )and if so am I still taxed for rest of this month ?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
You still lose the current month but get the remainder back from DVLA, may take a little while though as we are in lock down!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bit confused on this --have sold m/cycle (still in my garage ) and sent V5 to DVLA with new keeper details on.Do they now refund me road tax (from Dec onwards ? )and if so am I still taxed for rest of this month ?
Yeah you are still taxed till 30 November

Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
If you do it online then its all instant and from that point your not taxed you can check and it will show not taxed
You don't get the month your in refund you get from the next full month refund

Its the same if you post it but its just from when they process it which seems to take about a week from posting docs in

Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
New owner will need to tax it from the very point he buys it if he wishes to ride/drive it and this is done online or by phone

No one can pass tax over

Of course you can cheat the system and if the docs are all posted off the technically the bike will show still taxed until docs processed but its not meant to work like that

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
It is funny, people on here say "oh it's on Facebook, it must be true" yet here we are with contradicting answers in minutes.
What’s contradicted? The consensus which is correct is that you lose the remainder of the month and then get the rest back.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
There is the insurance issue also--when I sold my work van I cancelled ins and ended up paying more to cancel than I had back off them---was told it is illegal to not cancel ins?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
There is the insurance issue also--when I sold my work van I cancelled ins and ended up paying more to cancel than I had back off them---was told it is illegal to not cancel ins?
Correct. Or more accurately, it is illegal to have two policies running on one vehicle. If the new owner has left it in your garage it is up to him to insure it. Much better to get him to take it away.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last time that happened to me I has less than a month to run but the cancel fee was vastly out of proportion to the refund. I told the desk jockey to forget and cancel at renewal.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Last time that happened to me I has less than a month to run but the cancel fee was vastly out of proportion to the refund. I told the desk jockey to forget and cancel at renewal.
The problem with that is, should the new owner not insure it and have an accident you would be the insured party. I had this very same conversation with an insurer and they too wanted a chunk to cancel. Won’t use them again

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with that is, should the new owner not insure it and have an accident you would be the insured party. I had this very same conversation with an insurer and they too wanted a chunk to cancel. Won’t use them again
No, I wouldn't be the insured party, I would have the bill of sale showing I no longer was the keeper and the V5 would confirm that.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
No, I wouldn't be the insured party, I would have the bill of sale showing I no longer was the keeper and the V5 would confirm that.
You may not be either the owner nor the keeper. But you would still be the insured.
If the police PNCed it it would come back to you.
Simpler to cough up and safeguard yourself

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You may not be either the owner nor the keeper. But you would still be the insured.
If the police PNCed it it would come back to you.
And again, I would prove I was neither keeper or owner but simply hadn't cancelled insurance which I doubt, unlike not having insurance, is a criminal offense.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Quote from Monetsupermarket.
If you're selling your car and not replacing it, you should cancel your cover immediately as you no longer own the car and there's no point paying for cover you don't need. Failure to cancel could also result in a claim against your insurance if the new owner has an accident.28 Mar 2019

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
They have to take me to court.
It’s not that. Your insurers would have a claim against them. They would no doubt fight and may or may not win. Either way you would not be popular and may lose any NCB. Plus, the insurers may come after you for any losses. As I say, your call.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All hypothetical anyway, nothing happened.
Now I tell them I sold the vehicle and give them the new vehicle details then wait for the new mid term premium.
If I don't like it I change insurers at renewal.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Check on gov site tomorrow and see if it’s taxed then you can print it. But I think that you will not be taxed

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Quote from Monetsupermarket.
If you're selling your car and not replacing it, you should cancel your cover immediately as you no longer own the car and there's no point paying for cover you don't need. Failure to cancel could also result in a claim against your insurance if the new owner has an accident.28 Mar 2019
Point is I still have the bike in my garage and the new owner can only ride it when I deliver it to him .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back