Selling An Expensive Motorhome Privately.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Bit of a sorry saga here! We purchased what we thought was our last motorhome in May. We’d looked for this model for several years, finally found it and have now decided that it is not the van for us. It had some issues, went back to the dealer (over 200 miles away), some were fixed, some still outstanding as parts were not replaced as we asked.
The main reason for selling is that the van just doesn’t work for us. It is a good van, just not the van for us.
We‘ve sold motorhomes before on eBay, but these were old, selling for less than £20K. We paid close to three times this for our current van, I know we won’t get back what we paid for it and will make a considerable monetary loss, I am wary of putting such an expensive van on eBay. Has any one on here sold their ”expensive” motorhome privately? Would anyone consider handing over in excess of £40k to a private seller?
The past few months with this van have been so disappointing and depressing (despite some great holidays), we really thought we had found our dream final van, so only sensible answers please! The search for our final van goes on…….

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
I sold one at £70K, advertised it on Ebay & Autotrader. Had about a dozen enquires, 2 or 3 of them really serious and sold it within a week - this was earlier this year.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why not get a dealers quote to buy it from you decide on a price and stick it in the classifieds on here.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Don't undersell it you may well get your money back, look what similar are selling for. then as The Wino says try Fun classified.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Why not get a dealers quote to buy it from you decide on a price and stick it in the classifieds on here.
Thanks, we have one of these companies that buy motorhomes getting back to us with a quote tomorrow, the one he gave us today was way too low, but not bad for a starter offer! Stupidly, I hadn’t thought of advertising it on here, thanks for the suggestion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We paid a fair bit more than what you are considering for a motorhome in January advertised on eBay and Autotrader From a lovely couple. I dont Really see what the issues are, we just did our homework before viewing - Full HPI check before viewing, ask to view at the owners home (don’t agree to meet at a service station etc.). Yes there are scams in both Autotrader and eBay, but mainly as sellers and they are pretty easy to identify most of the time - no previous feedback on eBay, asking to call or email outside of eBay etc. I have sold 4/5 +£30k cars on eBay with no issues.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Just sold mine fir over £40k. Buyer came up from Brighton & when he was happy transferred the cash ti my account. I suppose it helped that i was a regular poster on the AdriaTwin FB page so he could see my history with the van.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
I sold my MH via Motorhome depot for 65k and their fee was agreed before at 3k on a no sale no fee basis. I got the price I wanted and avoided all of the pitfalls of selling privately ie tyre kickers, no shows, silly offers . Other benefits Motorhome Depot can offer p/ex finance etc. I was well pleased with their service.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the current climate you will probably turn a profit don't under price it.
No problem selling privately surprising how much money there is about.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I know we won’t get back what we paid for it and will make a considerable monetary loss,
What others have said you should be selling for a profit in the current climate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t sell it cheap ! An expensive model can result in a higher profit for the dealer . They could have someone waiting for the model you have for sale !

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If it’s what someone is looking for and in their budget you’ll most likely find someone to buy it. We’ve paid that sort of money before for a private sale even hopping on a plane from Glasgow to Luton to do so. Just make your price competetive bearing in mind you won’t get a dealer price with no warranty etc being offered. Good luck !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back