Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Self parking on Aires in a tight spot next to the French be handy :LOL:
My car already has self parking, I tried it once it left a big gap from the edge, but to be fair the parking space didn't have a curb. I have had the car a couple of years and keep meaning to try it again but keep forgetting 😄

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Waymo seems to work well in USA , for taxi use.
Yup, doing so well that they sued the California Dept of Motor Vehicles to prevent details of driverless car crashes being released to the general public because it was "commercially sensitive". Nothing to see here, move along now . . .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yup, doing so well that they sued the California Dept of Motor Vehicles to prevent details of driverless car crashes being released to the general public because it was "commercially sensitive". Nothing to see here, move along now . . .
Dig a little deeper and you will see how good it is and how well received.

Just pulling sound bites and headlines
Says nothing.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The legislation is in place. It's going to be a long time before they are anything more than small scale trials.

I think it's a "5 year" problem. Every 5 years, it's another 5 years away.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Currently Driverless cars have killed 29 motorcyclists as the cars software and sensors cant see them , so as far as Im concerned Driveless cars must not be allowed on roads until they can see motorcycles
didnt realise that ....do you have a link,

I know us on bikes are harder to see, (your talking to a guy who was rammed up in the air when sat in the road at a chicane on my VTX1300 broad daylight, by a woman who just stoved right into me from the rear at 30mph) and I spent over a year off my feet.
but didnt realise the driverless figure was that high, in fact its proven that driverless overall reduces accidents from human error.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
didnt realise that ....do you have a link,

I know us on bikes are harder to see, (your talking to a guy who was rammed up in the air when sat in the road at a chicane on my VTX1300 broad daylight, by a woman who just stoved right into me from the rear at 30mph) and I spent over a year off my feet.
but didnt realise the driverless figure was that high, in fact its proven that driverless overall reduces accidents from human error.
Driver assistance + human is safer than human alone. But driver assistance + driver doom-scrolling Instagram is not. We're a long way from driverless cars being better than people.

It should be noted that drivers kill a lot of motorcyclists because they just don't see them. So I'd like to know how that 29 compares...

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Driver assistance + human is safer than human alone. But driver assistance + driver doom-scrolling Instagram is not. We're a long way from driverless cars being better than people.

It should be noted that drivers kill a lot of motorcyclists because they just don't see them. So I'd like to know how that 29 compares...
there have been plenty tests done with information available up to now, but no I wouldnt trust it,

and in my case where I was injured, she decided she should use the rear view mirror to apply make up on the way to work, I don't see Waymo doing that :LOL:

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
In 2010 we were at a roundabout waiting to join on my Honda Deauville when we were hit from behind. The driver a very elderly woman, said she got confused and put her foot on the throttle instead of the brake. After a year of physio they discovered I had a broken neck. The police came to see me to say that as the driver had agreed to surrender her license they would not press charges. A few months later I saw her driving another car!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Dig a little deeper and you will see how good it is and how well received.

Just pulling sound bites and headlines
Says nothing.
Hmmm. Does seem to have the odd problem though.

Given that Google have a lot invested in this and various motor manufacturers are looking at deals with them worth millions of $, not to mention the amount of venture capital pushing the "next big tech thing" in pursuit of the next big profit, finding the real story is understandably hard. The UK, with a floundering Govt run by a tech bro has leapt on a bandwagon in the hope of sounding smart - maybe time will tell but if they are having problems in the States with their geometrical grid pattern wider streets perhaps the UK (motorways apart) will present more challenges.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm. Does seem to have the odd problem though.

Given that Google have a lot invested in this and various motor manufacturers are looking at deals with them worth millions of $, not to mention the amount of venture capital pushing the "next big tech thing" in pursuit of the next big profit, finding the real story is understandably hard. The UK, with a floundering Govt run by a tech bro has leapt on a bandwagon in the hope of sounding smart - maybe time will tell but if they are having problems in the States with their geometrical grid pattern wider streets perhaps the UK (motorways apart) will present more challenges.
oh yeah, I dont think its coming this way, and me being a Tesla driver can tell it will never work here in the foreseeable...... Even the full autopilot and navigate on route has its moments,(though it has got me out of the odd scrape) FSD for me though, no chance.

Its far easier in the USA , but Elon will tell you how many billion miles they are mapping by the cars cameras all round the UK, and its on its way etc etc, but as we all know...Elon says a lot of things. :wasntme: and yeah motorways and main roads are a piece of cake even decent country lanes tbf.But it always has a little more than a wobble when it approaches these markings pictured below

Oh and I dont wanna keep harping on about me and the woman that hit me on my motorbike...BUT..if she was driving a Tesla, it would not have happened 100% guaranteed, that was my first thought as they picked me up off the road.

1716307623917.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back