Self build 2002 Sprinter (my full time home) (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2018
Funster No
Thought i'd post some pics of my work van of nearly 20 years that is now my home after converting it end of last year.

In the beginning, a typical work van:

9.jpg

Then fitted out to live in whilst working away from home as a joiner:

14.jpg

Then put back to a work van, be it abit better than standard:

50.jpg

Then had to remove large parts for welding underneath so had a rethink and built this instead with my site vault mounted on 300KG drawer runners at the front:

88.jpg

Then had the bright idea to build a floating interior using unistruct where i could still get 8x4 sheets on the floor and long lengths of timber the entire length of the van and live in it:

20210829_112904.jpg

20211214_185626.jpg

Then fitted the interior i have now that I live in:

20230209_150958.jpg

Links:

The many interiors of my van

Cabin mods

Electrics

Suspension

Cheers

OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2018
Funster No
Thought i'd post some pics of my work van of nearly 20 years that is now my home after converting it end of last year.

In the beginning, a typical work van:

View attachment 784214

Then fitted out to live in whilst working away from home as a joiner:

View attachment 784215

Then put back to a work van, be it abit better than standard:

View attachment 784216

Then had to remove large parts for welding underneath so had a rethink and built this instead with my site vault mounted on 300KG drawer runners at the front:

View attachment 784217

Then had the bright idea to build a floating interior using unistruct where i could still get 8x4 sheets on the floor and long lengths of timber the entire length of the van and live in it:

View attachment 784218

View attachment 784219

Then fitted the interior i have now that I live in:

View attachment 784221

Links:

The many interiors of my van

Cabin mods

Electrics

Suspension

Cheers
Forgot to mention I fitted a washing machine and tumble dryer in the back a while ago:

Domestic stuff

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold šŸ˜Ÿ
Exp
1990-2023
How is weight? and a pic of outside would b
e nice. Looks good though

carol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2018
Funster No
How is weight? and a pic of outside would b
e nice. Looks good though

carol
20230430_195752.jpg

The n/s sits 10mm lower than the o/s which is why I put the washing machine on the o/s and it made no difference to the stance. Top of tyre to wheel arch is n/s: 105mm o/s 115mm.

Weight is 3380kg without me in seat, although with 5 tonne springs and air bags fitted plus adjustable koni shocks have done enough to up plate to 3850kg.

Cheers

Last edited:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Is it still going to be classed as a 'work van' rather than motorhome?

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
AMAZING build!! Wowser
Very, very talented

OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2018
Funster No
Wow! Cheers for all the kind words, I must admit I did consider giving converting vans ago a couple of years back but was put off by the world and their wife also having the same idea.

So thought better of it, my idea, coming from a furniture background would be an ultra high-end spec, private jet type fit & finish. Might give it a go in my next van building something along the lines of the white / carbon / oak work van interior above.

Without being snooty I find so many van conversions available today very meh, they all look the same, same components, same layout, very dull imo. Never understood why the toilet cubicle is put in the middle of the van right next to the bed!

Currently in very rainy Anglesey.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Mines next to the bed. It allows the front cab seats and a bench seat, backing onto the toilet , to become a lounge/eating area.

If you position it next to the cab then the cab seats are lost to the living area and are only useful for driving.

Your van is very stealth like and could be parked almost anywhere without giving away the facts your in there which requires the cab to be separated from the living area.

Your work is top notch, multi skilled as well , I'm taking it you mig up the suspension mounts?

OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2018
Funster No
Mines next to the bed. It allows the front cab seats and a bench seat, backing onto the toilet , to become a lounge/eating area.

If you position it next to the cab then the cab seats are lost to the living area and are only useful for driving.

Your van is very stealth like and could be parked almost anywhere without giving away the facts your in there which requires the cab to be separated from the living area.

Your work is top notch, multi skilled as well , I'm taking it you mig up the suspension mounts?
Yeah I guess layouts are a compromise.

That was a business idea I had of making truly stealth vans, no windows, steel wheels etc so it looks like a basic panel van outside with a fully bespoke interior so you could park anywhere.

Bit of a play on Stephen Fry's idea when he owned a black cab to get round London easier and park anywhere in the capital.

I didn't do the welding, a guy called Chris Woods (CW welding) based in Poole Dorset did that, but everything else is mine.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back