Security checks at ports (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
When ever we leave or enter this country for Europe by boat we are quite rightly checked by security/ customs inside and outside the van at exit and entry points to the port . But I have noticed when ever we use the tunnel (three times now ) not one single check is made in fact if it wasn’t for the man asleep in the closed french passport control and the lady in the uk passport control there where no humans around this time ,there was no checks whatsoever not even for the gas this time .Now in the unlikely event I was smuggling anyone or anything the tunnel would be the place , have I been lucky or has anyone else experienced this carefree attitude to security when using the tunnel ?

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I have never been checked, use to be checked by a gas check person who wanted to physically check my gas was off, this year it was Q "do you have gas" A "yes" Q "is it turned off" A "yes" Q "are you sure" A "yes" OK carry on. I have faced the same with the French passport control although on return the British seem to take better care and ask to see all passengers.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, only ever had the gas off check but have usually seen security around doing random pull overs for checks.
I assume they target likely vehicles based on experience?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I have never been checked, use to be checked by a gas check person who wanted to physically check my gas was off, this year it was Q "do you have gas" A "yes" Q "is it turned off" A "yes" Q "are you sure" A "yes" OK carry on. I have faced the same with the French passport control although on return the British seem to take better care and ask to see all passengers.
Yes, only ever had the gas off check but have usually seen security around doing random pull overs for checks.
I assume they target likely vehicles based on experience?
We were in a huge queue coming back this year, a guy in a British registered Suburu roared past some other cars to try and jump the queue, while we were waiting we saw him pulled by French customs and they took absolutely everything out of his car, at one point I wondered if they were going to take the seats and door panels out they way they were tugging them, he didn't look happy!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Have always had passports scanned and gas checked. Once had the van checked inside, not a proper search, just a quick look around and the bathroom door opened. The steering wheel was also scanned with some sort of instrument. One check that is missing does worry me Is to do with animals and makes Pet Passports a bit of a farce! I won’t say what as it might give people ideas and we never know who is reading our posts!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
On our first return via the Tunnel we were stopped and given a thorough search: all clear.

Then 100metres down the road we were stopped for another search. When I said we'd already seen done she got on her walkie-talkie, confirmed my story and we were allowed to proceed.

That's the joy of random checks - Gordon

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Coming home two years ago we were stopped and searched and they even searched the car out on the trailer,then had to wait while they checked about five or six cars behind us.
I think we were used as a road block.??

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Anyone ever been stopped at a European border other than UK?

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Our van could have been full of illegal immigrants ,booze or pets without passports no one checked ,what a wasted money earner I could be rich now or in jail if they had checked ?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Yes, Croatia/Slovenia but Croatia isn’t in the Schengen area.

Tip: don’t cross from Slovenia to Croatia late afternoon on a Bank Holiday!

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Are these stops random or do they have personnel stations there? I have done France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Czech Republic and never been stopped yet, not that I have anything to hide :) Not done Spain yet but understand there are a lot of dodgy people there so understand that(y)

Jun 6, 2018
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
We went to France via the tunnel in May, customs guy asked do you have gas, yes I said, is it off hes asked, yes I said, can I please check it he asked, yes no problem I said and opened the gas locker. He did seem to take longer than I expected but all he said was ok have a good trip so I locked the gas locker. When we got to the camp site we parked up and I went to turn the gas on and to my surprise it was full on!!! and tight to release to turn off!!! I wonder how many more he has turned full on??

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Within the Schengen area there are no borders. When leaving France via Eurotunnel the whole vehicle passes through an X-ray device. As far as I know there are none on the UK side.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes last March returning home to UK around Dona San Sebastián at a toll plaza entering France from Spain they asked me if I was a terrorist? Must have looked a bit like one I suppose???

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Searched in France and Spain even when we had our tiny old Autosleeper Symbol. I assumed they just searched us to fill their motorhome quota as I wasn’t sure we could have hidden much of anything, the poor sniffer dog could hardly turn round! Mind you Nick does have what could best be described as a very healthy tan even in deepest winter and his hair used to be very dark.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, between Italy and France at the Montgenevre pass. I guess it's an anti-immigrant check. And also checked entering Switzerland of course.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Yes, entering Austria from Germany, asked if I was going to use motorways, answered no so carried on.

Oh, and always have to open the gas locker before Eurotunnel for someone to check the gas is turned off.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This time, I think it was the first, they took my word for the gas being off without checking. I always leave the locker unlocked at the tunnel so its less faff to check.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Howard, as you know I took my Harley on the back of your, errr my trailer to Austria.
Not one check on the bike, nor the paperwork for it!! Hell they didn’t even ask if I had the gas off for the ferry (it was off btw)?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I used to travel out 3/4 times a month on the freight shuttle in a VW T5 van, and it was a very rare occurrence to see anybody at all at night, with the exception o a man who used to hold up a card with a letter on it denoting which lane to go in. No passport checks, no customs checks.

Malcolm

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
On our first return via the Tunnel we were stopped and given a thorough search: all clear.

Then 100metres down the road we were stopped for another search. When I said we'd already seen done she got on her walkie-talkie, confirmed my story and we were allowed to proceed.

That's the joy of random checks - Gordon
You obviously had a shifty look :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Dunkirk, get searched twice in 100 meters. Every time.
Same here. Usually the French army first, Then French customs . 2years back I even had French customs a third time standing in for Brits .Not that I 've ever seen Brits search anything on French side?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
First time on Tunnel this October but we were stopped both ways on Ferry going to Holland in the summer (both UK side). Wanted to see our 3rd passenger and check the bathroom. I did ask them to remove their shoes ?.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Same here. Usually the French army first, Then French customs . 2years back I even had French customs a third time standing in for Brits .Not that I 've ever seen Brits search anything on French side?
I have no issue with it ,and like you , always French , never British . Am over again next weekend,

Our garage is always rammed . never been asked to empty it though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back