Second fitting solar panel? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
New van comes with 120a Solar Panel. When fitting another of about the same size ,can I just splice it in to the existing wire or ?

Colyboy

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I understand a 120w solar panel maximum current is in the region of 5 to 6 amps. A second one might push this to double, say 12amps.

I have no idea how to guage the size of your exsiting solar panel wires and establish what the maximum current they should carry!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I was advised to fit a whole new wiring and another controller if I wanted to fit a second panel as issues can arise if one panel is in shade and the other isn't. I'm not sure that this advice is correct but it came from the manufacturer.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I was advised to fit a whole new wiring and another controller if I wanted to fit a second panel as issues can arise if one panel is in shade and the other isn't. I'm not sure that this advice is correct but it came from the manufacturer.
I called them again. It seems 2 matching panels is ok through the same cable and controller provided the cable and controller can handle the extra power.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
New van comes with 120a Solar Panel. When fitting another of about the same size ,can I just splice it in to the existing wire or ?

Colyboy
Use the correct type of connectors for solar .. I think they are called mc4 connectors..have a Google...it will be much easier and neater..
What you do will depend on how your existing panel is wired..ie through the van power supply unit or direct to battery through independent controller...that may determine what or if you can fit another panel without upgrading the controller..
Ideally if you want another one in parallel it should have similar voltage characteristics..in series similar current capacity....

Andy

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Colyboy

If you haven’t already, have you thought about fitting an extra leisure battery first?

We’ve got a 130w Panel with 2 x 110 batteries. Not put them through a full test yet, but early indications seem to be positive. (y)

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
We only have at present one 100watt solar panel, but I had Solar Solutions fit a MPPT controller and a Fox amp/watt unit bypassing the standard Auto Trail set up when we first had our van, it is fitted with two 115amp leisure batteries and I can honestly say we have never run the batteries below 12.4 volts even spending weeks away without hook up. Even in February 2019 in snow when the site we were on had EHU problems, although being very careful with the heating and tv.

However, we have decided to keep our present PVC so are looking to upgrade several things on it rather than wait up to 12 months to replace it. I have been up on the roof today to measure up for an additional panel, looks like there is room for another. To kill “ two birds with one stone “ I will fit a 150 lithium battery and a B2B unit, more amp power with weight saving. Thinking about it I don’t think it will save much weight as one has to add the weight of the second panel and the B2B unit and possibly a higher capacity inverter.

BernieT

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
First check specification of existing panel then find one similar.
120watt is about 6amp at 20v from the panel so 4mm cable should be ok but 6mm would be better (less v drop over cable length). U need 2 into 1 mc4 connectors and plugs and sockets for all the cable ends on the roof and some trunking to hide it all in. What size wire has the manufacturer fitted from roof to controller?
Is the existing solar controller capable of accepting 12amps?
Does the hab electrics controller have the capacity for that amount of input? (U could connect direct to battery but then control panel wont show u any input from solar).
If u are not sure find someone to do it for you.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everybody for all your help.

litter picker Colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!