Sea fishing - essentials for a beginner? (1 Viewer)

Milk Tray Man

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2016
Gillingham, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Frankia I680BD
Exp
Since 2014
So, looking for another activity (besides drinking and eating) to occupy me whilst out and about in the motorhome. We spend a fair bit of time near the coast and whilst fishing on a lake/river holds no appeal (want to be able to keep/eat what I catch!) do fancy having a go at sea fishing. Any advice from the sea fishing enthusiast on here for a basic essentials kit. Needs to flex across beach/rock fishing and don’t want to carry any more than essentials as its just a bit of fun that may provide the odd edible bit of fresh fish. Happy to spend couple of hundred quid and anticipate the rod and reel would be the most expensive bit.

Any advice gratefully received.

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Probably best you go for beach fishing. Basic requirement is a long beach fishing rod (~12 feet long) and a suitable reel. You can get collapsible rods which do not take up too much space in the MH. Other than that you can buy ready made hook rigs and weights, unless you want to start making them up yourself. You can also buy a tripod stand so that you don't have to hold the rod all the time. Be aware though, that on most trips you probably won't catch anything.

If boat fishing, most skippers have rods on board that you can hire by the day, so no outlay. You are more likely to catch fish from a boat.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You'll easy pick up a decent rod, reel and some gear for that money. Any tackle/bait shop will have pre-made rigs to catch fish. White feathers for cod or anything shiny for mackerel. Get a few spinners to keep you busy instead of casting out and waiting.

I wouldn't go for the beach fishing if you're a beginner. You need some strong gear and a good cast for that kind of stuff. I'd start off rock or pier fishing.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Spinning or using lures for Bass and Pollack can be fun, just be careful if your fishing from rocks not to slip and fall or get swept off by a rouge wave, you can use a similar technique off the beach as well, Bass can be caught surprisingly close in where the waves are breaking. I like to wade about knee deep and work my way along the beach, I enjoy that more then sitting in a chair waiting for a bite. Also there are size restrictions and limits to the number you can take for bass that apply to leisure fishing, so check first if you intend to keep any for the pot.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I wouldn't go for the beach fishing if you're a beginner. You need some strong gear and a good cast for that kind of stuff. I'd start off rock or pier fishing.
Yep, I gave up beach fishing many years ago. Apart from it usually being too breezy for comfort and needing heavy leads and traces I got fed up with hauling in and removing great clumps of seaweed. I prefer rock or pier float fishing which is more exciting with a float to watch and where the kit can be lighter and the gear in the water isn't dragging up stuff from the sea floor.
I'd go for a circa 12' rod and fixed spool real (i.e. not a centre pin or multiplier reel), trace line of a lesser strength than the main reel line, a small selection of weights and a few hooks plus some mackerel/cod feathers and a couple of spinners to start with.
I use a 30lb breaking strain reel line with 15lb trace line. The trace line is weaker than the reel line since if the hooks get snagged the short trace line will break before the main line which could lose you 50 yds of main line.
Treat it as if new to motorhoming as it's best to buy what you find you need rather than all the good advice for stacks of 'essentials'.
Tight lines!

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Don't throw yourself in at the deep end, (Pun Intended) buy some basic kit, have a go and if you don't like it, you have lost nothing.....go expecting to catch nothing, when you do get something, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the catch and the situation, you can build on that...a cheapish telescopic rod and reel combo, ask advice a fishing tackle shop where you choose to fish, bait, lures etc, fish where others are fishing, be prepared to move around, change location, understand when fish want your offering, and most importantly fish safe and enjoy the experience, being on the rocks at sunrise or sunset remains for me one of the main reasons to go....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Before the eu changed the law/rule there was an old fella round here that used a net. He would stake the net out at low tide and return the next low tide to see if he had caught anything. Not allowed any more.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I agree with the above. A simple and cheap little kit like <Broken link removed> will be enough to get you in the waves making some casts. Who knows...you might even catch something!! If you get "hooked" (sorry, I couldn't resist!!) then the sky is the limit with rods, reels and tackle.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Before the eu changed the law/rule there was an old fella round here that used a net. He would stake the net out at low tide and return the next low tide to see if he had caught anything. Not allowed any more.
I have fished with a 20 feet long land line about 18" off the bottom staked out between two stakes at low tide with half a dozen baited hooks on 6" traces. I just left it out until the next low tide and it was quite successful.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I second the idea of just using lures. Beach casting needs more kit and getting suitable bait isn't always easy and after a time everything stinks. :)

I would start with a cheap spinning rod around 9' long, fixed spool reel with something like 12lb line. You will cast further with a lighter line but as a beginner a stronger line will be safer. A selection of spoons including small ones for mackerel will do to start. Fishing at dawn and dusk with a rising tide is best in my experience but mackerel can be caught anytime of the day but again only on a rising tide.

Float fishing from rocks can be fun using a small strip of mackerel as bait.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing to do with the EU. The use of a "fixed engine" has been heavily regulated by UK law for decades.

Deleted User
Most boats that do day fishing will supply all the gear for you, will even bait your hooks if you want. Try it first see if you like it.

spongy

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Nothing to do with the EU. The use of a "fixed engine" has been heavily regulated by UK law for decades.
So it’s not banned then, I was told only allowed if they stayed with it all the time now and it wasn’t decades ago he was doing it

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I have fished with a 20 feet long land line about 18" off the bottom staked out between two stakes at low tide with half a dozen baited hooks on 6" traces. I just left it out until the next low tide and it was quite successful.
I used to do that in Jersey! You have to get there before the Gulls though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So it’s not banned then, I was told only allowed if they stayed with it all the time now and it wasn’t decades ago he was doing it
It depends on location and time of year. For example this link gives the rules for part of the South Coast - look for the hyperlink to fixed engines. In other places, particularly estuaries a licence is needed. But it is all UK law.

<Broken link removed>

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't throw yourself in at the deep end, (Pun Intended) buy some basic kit, have a go and if you don't like it, you have lost nothing.....go expecting to catch nothing, when you do get something, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the catch and the situation, you can build on that...a cheapish telescopic rod and reel combo, ask advice a fishing tackle shop where you choose to fish, bait, lures etc, fish where others are fishing, be prepared to move around, change location, understand when fish want your offering, and most importantly fish safe and enjoy the experience, being on the rocks at sunrise or sunset remains for me one of the main reasons to go....
Have you caught anything yet? 😉

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It depends on location and time of year. For example this link gives the rules for part of the South Coast - look for the hyperlink to fixed engines. In other places, particularly estuaries a licence is needed. But it is all UK law.

<Broken link removed>
Blimey that’s a whole book, haha

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have rock and shore fished by spinning a ABU TOBY lure for the last 60 years, but I did live in Cornwall with a good rocky coast and bays.
A good spinning reel ( I have had mine for 20 years) is a simple Shimano. At £25 max.
A nice carp rod ( flexible ) at about £30 max.
10lb line. A selection of ABU’s . A sharp knife. Some bags.
And go have a ball.
I missed what part of the country your in, but good luck.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
PS. Just looked.
Dorset is Hard to find good rocks but plenty of Bass right now.
Same kit. Good luck.
Mitch.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I had a similar idea a couple of years ago.
I bought a beach caster rod and reel off eBay but didn't really know what to do.
We were in the Isle of Man and there were a lot of guys fishing one evening. I got talking to one, explaining I didn't have a clue but had a rod and reel. "Go and get it" he said. He fixed me up with tracer and bait and explained what to do. Call it beginners luck, I caught a fish. It is the only fish (tope) I've ever caught. Haven't even caught a mackerel. I do enjoy trying though.
20170620_200545.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had a similar idea a couple of years ago.
I bought a beach caster rod and reel off eBay but didn't really know what to do.
We were in the Isle of Man and there were a lot of guys fishing one evening. I got talking to one, explaining I didn't have a clue but had a rod and reel. "Go and get it" he said. He fixed me up with tracer and bait and explained what to do. Call it beginners luck, I caught a fish. It is the only fish (tope) I've ever caught. Haven't even caught a mackerel. I do enjoy trying though.View attachment 429726
That was your first fish?

Or just a fisherman tale?

Either way it's a whopper

Reactions: f6c

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you fish from rocks just be aware of the tide.

I was having a great time in the summer bass fishing off a rock with lures at Freshwater West in Pembrokeshire and having success when I suddenly realised the tide had come in and cut me off:doh:

I then had to wade waist deep back to the shore.

And I grew up by the sea:rolleyes:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s something I have never done, they always look cold stood on the beach with their rods, and as for digging the beach up at low tide looking for worms. There used to be a fella that did dig for and sell the worms up here, but it looked like hard work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back