Screwdriver entry into Ducato (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
So would I be right in saying that if I have deadlocks fitted (eg Locks4Vans T Series) then a screwdriver attack would act like a key - unlocking the doors and disabling the alarm) but would have no effect on the deadlocks?
If you have a good alarm it won't disable the alarm.

Cheap alarms do link to the door sensors/locking mechanishm, Thatcham proper alarms should not to get the certification.
Ie, the alarm should sound if unlocked and doors opened without first disabling the alarm.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
inside the door, there is a lever operated by the key or the central locking actuator The vulnerability is that this lever is not protected inside the door. push a small sharp object through the wafer thin steel doorskin and you manually operate the central locking. This simply turns off the alarm if it is controlled via the central locking. standard system used on most vehicles, not just vans.
The thief will prefer you are out, but those that do this in the middle of the night, rely on people sleeping through the quiet sound and if enabled, the courtesy light coming on. The usual target is anything on show in the cab area, like phones and handbags. They are in and out in a few seconds

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
They come with stickers to affix under the lock.
Might just get the stickers then and add that to my deadlocks as a deterrent (btw you can also get stick on deadlocks)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Might just get the stickers then and add that to my deadlocks as a deterrent (btw you can also get stick on deadlocks)

Seen those, dont know how realistic they look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I know that many people have fitted proplates (might have the name wrong ?) to prevent screwdriver entry.

But have Fiat done something about this with their new (2023) vans - by incorporating a metal guard inside the door?

Does anybody have any info?
I fitted ProPlates to my 2017 Fiat and found that Fiat had indeed fitted security plates to the inside of the doors. As has been pointed before, the potential thieves cannot see them so, I fitted the proplates as a visual deterent.

Plate2.jpg

Plate1.jpg

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
They nick anything 25th Jan 2024: Amish family’s horse and buggy stolen outside Michigan Walmart

On Kon-Tiki Sport 599 I have ProPlates, T-Series on can doors & Fiamma Safe Door Security Lock on habitation door.
Fiamma Safe Door Security Lock is not the highest security option but all additional locks combined I believe/hope
thieves will see easier targets than mine. Plus factory alarm and tracker naturally.
Depends what they want the van or content?
Locks4Vans did a great job on mine, being LHD & the 1st they had worked on, they had to make a different plate to
accommodate the key being on the left door. Fabrication & coating all on site.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back