Scotland's bothies (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We are thinking of doing some mountain biking in the Scottish wilderness and something that has always been on my bucket list is to spend the night in a Scottish bothy

Have any of you ever spent a night in a bothy and was it what you thought

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The only experience I have is of Craig bothy between Diabaig and Redpoint. Used to be a YHA and now owned by the MBA. It’s possible it has been repaired but, when I went 3-4 years ago, one of the living spaces had no floor (as In a hole) and I’d not have been sleeping upstairs unless in dire emergency. The outside loo could have done with a plumber. I’m sure there are others but maybe search each one individually.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just been looking at Scotland's top 10 bothies and some are in the most stunning places I know they are basic but most have been made completley weather proof and habitable by the MBA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are thinking of doing some mountain biking in the Scottish wilderness and something that has always been on my bucket list is to spend the night in a Scottish bothy

Have any of you ever spent a night in a bothy and was it what you thought

Take care you don't end up in a VD clinic.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Spent many nights in bothies all over the Cairngorms, and as long as you want basic, then they can be a godsend! By basic i mean no toilet, mice, usually an open fire, and the occasional chair! it can be like sleeping in your garden shed with strangers for company, but some are more well equipped than others, and as an experience, it can't be beaten! Expect any bothy near to a cycle track to be busy, but also usually better equipped. The mountain bothy association give details, but you may have to join to see them. Otherwise just pick one and give it ago (don't forget wood or coal for the fire, and the obligatory wee dram to enhance the evening!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve used a couple in Wales when doing a long trail bike ride, didn’t have any problems using them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back