Schoolboy error, should I be worried? (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Having been FT in a fully winterised van for many years in hot climes, this is kinda new to me, albeit I know what I should’ve done!

Parked our new (to us) Globecar with Truma system on folks drive last night, about 25% water in the tank plus the boiler. Stayed in the house, van left off of leccy and gas. Woke up to a very heavy frost, and a frozen van, taps and all:rolleyes: ( needless to say, currently in U.K. :mad:)

The dump valve was primed, but hadn’t dumped the boiler.....

Have whacked the heating on full and she’s warming up nicely now, and just starting to get a trickle from the taps.

Stupid boy should’ve either left it on or dumped all the water manually last night, won’t make that mistake again :p

Anyway, will dump it all later and plug in an oil rad for the next few nights, whilst she’s on the drive, and keep my fingers crossed.

Whadya reckon, just the one night, will I get away without a repair bill :eek:

Roll on February to get back to Spain and Portugal (y)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We used our new Globecar for first time this weekend. First time ever in MH! As you filled 25% water. First night all water dumped. Despite heating on. Had to drink beer instead of tea. Think valve must have opened first night on drive before we heated it up. Last night heating on water fine. Can’t understand why yours didn’t dump water?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Was the beer in the fridge ok?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
You may have got away with it Dave with it being just one night.
The one thing I would be concerned about is why the dump valve didn’t work, mine normally dumps around + 4C

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You may have got away with it Dave with it being just one night.
The one thing I would be concerned about is why the dump valve didn’t work, mine normally dumps around + 4C

Mmmm. The blue toggle on top of the frost protector was crossways, and the blue button was in. I thought it should have popped out and dumped, but didn’t. Maybe I should read the manual............

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I expect you have got away with it, the boiler is quite a big mass so shouldn't have frozen, probably just the pipes frozen. If the taps freeze they usually pop apart so fairly obvious.
I would be inclined to change that dump valve.
If leaving it again just run the heating for a couple of hours in the evening there will be enough latent heat in the van to stop it freezing overnight.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Dave are you liking the downsizing from A class to pvc or is it a step to far?

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Dave are you liking the downsizing from A class to pvc or is it a step to far?

So far, yes, but it’s only been 3 days! However, double the mpg and I have parked in car park spots at the shops! ( it’s a 6m van).

That said, it’s not for fulltiming for us, it’s going to be a daily drive for shopping etc, as well as touring ( which I’m sure we will be able to do for extended periods) as we have bought a 9m Hobby caravan to live in FT, which we are siting permanently on a pitch in Portugal, where we intend to live, and use the camper for a bit of fun! Best of both worlds (y)

Deleted User
So far, yes, but it’s only been 3 days! However, double the mpg and I have parked in car park spots at the shops! ( it’s a 6m van).

That said, it’s not for fulltiming for us, it’s going to be a daily drive for shopping etc, as well as touring ( which I’m sure we will be able to do for extended periods) as we have bought a 9m Hobby caravan to live in FT, which we are siting permanently on a pitch in Portugal, where we intend to live, and use the camper for a bit of fun! Best of both worlds (y)

That has been an ideal solution for us, we already had the 5'er which we have on a permanent pitch and the Globecar for doing exactly as you do.

Regarding the freezing, I made exactly the same mistake last Feb/March when we had to rent in the UK for 2 months, the dump valve worked but the connectors to the taps popped but not all the way out as I managed to push them back in without dismantling.

Hope yours is OK.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
When you say ' won’t make that mistake again :p ' is that not spend another winter in the UK, or leave water in without the heating On. ;)

I would make sure you have water in and check everything just to make sure, then drain down and blow down the taps. (y)

You don't want to find you have a problem once you leave ;) because you will be on a mission. :cold: :rofl:

:sun::sun::sun: :pop: Bob.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although the pipes had frozen, is it possible that unlike the heater unit, they were more exposed to the cold than where the dump valve is situated?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Anyone know why they are set to dump at +4° it seems much higher than needed.

At 4C water is at it most dense so if it gets warmer or colder than that it will expand and maybe cause damage?? Frozen water expands a lot, far more than warm water.

Deleted User
At 4C water is at it most dense so if it gets warmer or colder than that it will expand and maybe cause damage?? Frozen water expands a lot, far more than warm water.

Is also why ice floats, saving the lives of much aquatic life according to my science teacher many many moons ago:)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Right, update, and more confusion!

Van all warm and defrosted. Opened taps, cough and splutter, threw out some water, then stopped. I then checked the fresh water tank.......empty. So, it seems it must have drained, all good so far ! ( impossible to tell on the ground as it’s a gravel drive) However, the blue button on the frost control device was still in, surely it should be out if it had dumped, and needs to be manually pushed back in, or does it go in itself? Don’t think so, and I’ve even read the manual now lol! However, it seems it must’ve dumped, but I’ve had the heating and hot water on for a few hours now, possibly with no water in the boiler...........learning curve here even for me :whistle:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You need to push the blue button back in to reset it.
Hope all goes OK

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Buy a Hobby, get a hobby they say. :whistle:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I leave mine on hook up with Truma set at 8degs so with a frost blown air circulates all lockers and double floor area enough to prevent freezing. I have drained down but eliminates risk if pockets of water in plumbing.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You need to push the blue button back in to reset it.
Hope all goes OK

Yes, so I now know, but it was in and had still dumped!

Anyway, have just put 20l in, backfilled the boiler, and run the taps hot and cold, and all is working as it should. ( deep sigh of relief). No leaks.....yet, seems I got away with it. Nothing dumping out of the drain valves either.
Will let everything stay hot for a few hours, drain down, open taps, plug her in and stick a rad in there. Will have to turn the 12v off so the pump doesn’t run with the taps open, hopefully the 230v sockets will stay live for the radiator!

Sorted..........I think !

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I leave mine on hook up with Truma set at 8degs so with a frost blown air circulates all lockers and double floor area enough to prevent freezing. I have drained down but eliminates risk if pockets of water in plumbing.
Sadly the Truma system is gas only. No electric option.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Yes, so I now know, but it was in and had still dumped!

Anyway, have just put 20l in, backfilled the boiler, and run the taps hot and cold, and all is working as it should. ( deep sigh of relief). No leaks.....yet, seems I got away with it. Nothing dumping out of the drain valves either.
Will let everything stay hot for a few hours, drain down, open taps, plug her in and stick a rad in there. Will have to turn the 12v off so the pump doesn’t run with the taps open, hopefully the 230v sockets will stay live for the radiator!

Sorted..........I think !

Dave

Why not pull the pump fuse out?

Cheers

Trevor

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Exactly....... below that it expands and can damage pipes and joints

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back