Sat Nav for motorhomes

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Any thoughts on Sat Navs especially for Motor Homes, any ones that you recommend or any to avoid?
We use the ”Maps” app on my iPhone but it often tries to take us along very narrow roads. Think it’s time to invest in something more suited to a larger vehicle.
I’d appreciate you advice.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I’m like you and use the apple map on my iPad. I alway reccy the route by Google earth to ensure no craziness, but bless her, she still tries to take me down some challenging routes.

Cant help otherwise, so hopefully someone will be able to answer.

In the meantime, there’s so much info under search, which will hopefully get you some answers.

<Broken link removed>

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I have a TomTom Camper…..but if I hadn’t I’d just stick with Maps or Waze 👍🏼

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Garmin do various models depending on where you are going. I bought the one for Southern Europe. Seems to be all I need.

TCG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we have this alpine... put in length, axle weight, height etc... never let me down yet (he says with his fingers crossed)
1666622779347.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have been an ardent user of Snooper ventura sat nav for years but i have just started using copilot caravan ( motorhome ) on my ipad as my stand alone sat nave had a couple of wobbles mid route while in the south of France.

downloaded the copilot app and paid the £28 annual subs and have used it from Dordogne all the way home via a few places we wanted to stop on the way. so far very pleased.

ps; it accepts the sizes and weights of your motorhome and routes you accordingly.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I use an Ohrex bought cheaply from Amazon.

You can set all the dimensions of the unit and so far it's not led us astray.

Comes with a mount and fag lighter plug.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
CoPilot will run on your phone and allows you to input height and weight etc. Its not free though. Also a chinese cheapy truck sat nav like Nozatec will do a good job for a very modest price. None are 100% correct though I find setting a chinese cheapy to 'Easy' routing is usually great.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I have used loads of apps, a courier in a former life!!
and as Reallyretired has said none are 100% true, you just get a longer “narrow lane” life with some. These best I’ve had so far is a mix ofa garmin camper satnav, big screen for my eyes and the tomtom amigo app, that’s the only one still that knows the road I live on is closed for road works even Google still goes down the road.
Combine these with your eyes and watch for odd signs and you will be ok

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
If our van ever arrives (see sig), I'm tempted to get the Garmin CamperVan. I'm fully satisfied with Google Maps for point to point navigation, but the mentioned Garmin has "Roadtrip Routes" -function which promises to take you to exciting routes wow gasp! As I my wife doesn't have a navigation function I'm hoping the Garmin could sometimes help me find something else than the shortest and/or fastest route. If someone is in the same situation, Garmin CamperVan might be an option.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've tried lots of height and weight aware apps. TomTom, Navigator Truck, RoadsLords, Sygic Truck. In the UK and in France (where there are lots of weight limits on minor roads and urban streets). I've always found issues with the mapping so I've still been guided into routes that aren't suitable. And as narrow country lanes in Norfolk and Cornwall are still legal to drive with a big vehicle, just inconvenient, they don't do a great job of routing you around them either.

The apps and their mapping is largely identical to the dedicated units. There are only a few mapping companies and they all buy from the few market suppliers.

So after many attempts, I just keep going back to Google Maps. It isn't height or weight aware, but it's very rarely a problem. It provides the most up to date mapping with the best view of traffic and blockages. The routing is generally good and predicts ETAs with very good accuracy.

On the rare occasion that the route does take me down a restricted turning, it almost always gives me an alternative continuously on screen, so I can make easy decisions about which way to go.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Had ours for nearly 10 years... only issue is obviously wont let you do a U turn.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Any thoughts on Sat Navs especially for Motor Homes, any ones that you recommend or any to avoid?
We use the ”Maps” app on my iPhone but it often tries to take us along very narrow roads. Think it’s time to invest in something more suited to a larger vehicle.
I’d appreciate you advice.
Hi
We've got the Garmin Campo 780 but my dad bought a 'van/truck' sat nav off Amazon at a quarter of the price and he's more than happy with it
As many have probably said, none are without their glitches and may not prove to be so accurate on all roads (too narrow / heights etc)

Mixyblob

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
I often wonder how these sat nav companies get their data, re road widths.
After living in deepest Devon for several years with a 7.5 mtr tag axle van, I know from experience that the useable width of a road can vary by up to a meter throughout the year, depending on the state of the hedge rows.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I'm impressed with the Avtex Tourer Two - but it is one of the more expensive options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back